Australian Masterpiece Megatron Collectors' Club

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

Australian Masterpiece Megatron Collectors' Club

Post by Nevermore »

No, this is not a joke.

Apparently, in Australia (at least in the state of New South Wales), the possession of MP Megatron is illegal due to being a "realistic firearm replica". That means the police could arrest you for owning the toy and seize it.

Apparently the only way to circumvene that problem involves joining a collectors' club. Which is what this gentleman is just about to set up.
http://www.csapo.com.au/ttf/TCTF_Club.htm

Crazy laws.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

If the Megs in question has the orange tip, is it still considered illegal? I'm sure they'll be let off with a fine (because, honestly, even that's a bit harsh, over a toy), for the most part.

I won't get into my thoughts on fines as just a way for a government to make a cheap buck off its citizens.

Anywho, I wonder if there's some fees associated with starting up a club. Twould be convenient, if people, starting said clubs had to make a fee, so that their members could afford being fined.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by RID Scourge
If the Megs in question has the orange tip, is it still considered illegal?

Yes.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Those crazy colonials.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Nevermore
Yes.

Pfft. That's ridiculous.
ColdBain
Protoform

Post by ColdBain »

Doesn't appear to be a problem in New Zealand. I was in the local Toy World (NZ Toy Shop) and saw that they were selling (for ages 6 and up!) die-cast metal replicas of various hand guns. They weren't cap guns either, nor was there orange tips on the barrels.

Cool for plays and cheap short films, and heavy blunt options for self defence, dunno about six year olds though. :\
"At times like these, we've got to spell racecar backwards."
Luckydan
Protoform

Post by Luckydan »

After all, us Australians are criminals in the past. Probably scared we might turn them on the government of Australia. Government can't trust us Australians with a gun especially after the Hobart incident, which Tasmania isn't a part of Australia technically.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

I dunno...Australia's practically USA Junior on some aspects.

I think they're the only country besides US with established scientology movement. (I refuse to call them a 'religion')
stoltobot
Protoform

Post by stoltobot »

Originally posted by Tetsuro
I think they're the only country besides US with established scientology movement. (I refuse to call them a 'religion')

Not true. Most countries have scientology, including Japan.

http://churchofscientology.com/scientology-japan.htm

In fact, there is a Raelian movement billboard outside my apartment, so I wouldn't say that Yanks and Aussies are the sole proprietors of half-a**ed religions, although I have to hand it to the Yanks for Mormonism. That one's a classic.

More on track, a customer of mine, who incidentally contacted me after an Encore G1 Megs I was selling on eBay was cancelled due to the firearms replica laws, told me the first MP Megs he bought was seized by customs. He then ordered another two into the country (one for him and one for a friend) by convincing the seller to list the item as baby clothes! Second and third times lucky. I was told by eBay that if I am found breaching the law again I could get into a spot of serious trouble. The funny thing is, when I came into Australia my suit case held a small arsenal of replica firearms, that escaped everyone's notice!
________
Mazda Ryuga Picture
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

Originally posted by stoltobot
The funny thing is, when I came into Australia my suit case held a small arsenal of replica firearms, that escaped everyone's notice!

That's not funny, I hope you get cavity searched.

Is MP Megatron in gun or robot form when boxed?

*goes to look*

If he's in robot mode surely not many Oz customs guys will know what they're looking for.