Mercy-killing Bitten Loved Ones in the Zombie Apocalypse

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

Mercy-killing Bitten Loved Ones in the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by Sades »

Hound: If I was bitten in the Zombie Apocalypse, would you kill me?
Me: Yes.
Him:... You're so mean...
Me: I don't wanna see you be a zombie!
Him: Yeah... I'd kill you too.
Me: Awww. <3
If it came down to it, would you be able to kill your loved ones if they were bitten in the Zombie Apocalypse?

I wouldn't want to see my peeps eating bra!nz and shit. So, yes. I might fight with it awhile, but I think I probably would.

You know, assuming that I survived it myself. Which probably wouldn't happen, but still.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I'd tie them up in the garden until the cure is discovered- which will inevitably happen just after you kill a loved one, for maximum guilt.
I like bears.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

My friends all agreed, at one point, that one of the reasons they'd want me along during the zombie outbreak was "his willingness to put a bullet into anything that even remotely looked like a zombie".

That said, could I shoot a loved one that was bitten and turning or was already turned? Better believe it. I'd probably want to spend a few moments saying goodbye to the loved one first if I could. If they where getting dragged down and I was unable to help, I'd put a bullet into them if only so they don't have to experience the pain of getting torn apart by zombies and to save me the trouble later.
Sades

Post by Sades »

The only person I don't think I could do it to would be my mum. Unless I were witness to her being dragged away or something. Then I just couldn't let her suffer.

... Wow that's a grim thought. I'm gonna have to go watch some stupid Youtube videos now as a form of mindbleach.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
verytired

It was once voted that I shouldn't be given guns in the case of a zombie apocalypse.

Post by verytired »

ME: "Oh god, no Dave, you've been bit, you're chaaaanging!"
Dave: "What? Tim, sod off."
ME: "Don't worry Dave, I'll put you out of your misery! sob,"
Dave: "What!? Tim, put down the gun I'm fine!"
ME: "Remember when you borrowed Optimus Prime off me in Primary School? Remember I kept asking for him back, and you said you didn't have him?
Dave: Tim, I-
ME: I guess my memories pretty bloody faulty as well, because just like you don't remember borrowing my Oppy, I remember seeing you GET BIT.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Summerhayes wrote:I'd tie them up in the garden until the cure is discovered- which will inevitably happen just after you kill a loved one, for maximum guilt.
I suppose, but I guess that'd depend on what you think about zombies. See, I think they'd just be dead. They're rotting corpses... there can't be any coming back from that.

I've read the entirety of the Walking Dead series so far, so I know everything about zombies. /internet asshole

Dead walking things are creepy.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I always figure that zombies that can be transferred through bites must be some sort of disease, rather than your voodoo, coming up from the ground undead
I like bears.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Can I shoot Ron Zombie?.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Sades

Post by Sades »

Only if I can shoot Phil Murray.
Summerhayes wrote:I always figure that zombies that can be transferred through bites must be some sort of disease, rather than your voodoo, coming up from the ground undead
I see it as injecting venom/some sort of parasitic host that takes over the dead body of the original. Like the bugs that lay eggs in other bugs, and then the hatching larvae of those insects take over the body of the original insect.
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

I also just like the ideas of zombies being dead people, corpses animated by some magic.
I always wondered why a zombie should "die" after a headshot while already dead.

The whole point in infected people who stop living, become cannibal animals and be cured again is stupid in my opinion and would not work as then you need physics and biochemistry if not via necromancy magic to animate the bodies.
If first case, then the zombies do need food and oxygen. while food (at least meat) seems availabe, they do not ear vitamins or additional needed minerals. also the heart needs to pump blood (oxygen) to the muscles to operate.
If infected and no heart beat and bad eating habits, they should only function very shortly on their own energy reserves and become immovable with the decaying cells.

For me only the classic way: kill the necromancer or burn the bodies.
[sigpic][/sigpic] :clap: Isch bin dabbei! :up:
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

I do prefer my zombies non-magical.

After all, it makes any kind of cure less likely to be found since the whole idea is that the brain basically rots away, leaving behind only basic instincts. Kind of hard to reverse that, no matter how advanced your science is, no?

Actually, that'd be an interesting take on the zombie genre; leave out the man-eating part and just have them around as really violent and completely amoral animals instead. They'd still bite you, but for the same reason an animal would bite another.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Addl wrote:I always wondered why a zombie should "die" after a headshot while already dead.
This!

The way the Walking Dead TV show explained it makes sense to me, enough so that I can accept the whole "headshot kills zombies dead" thing. (At least for that series. And I forget if they do it the same way in the comics...)

Walking Dead (first season) semi-spoilers ahoy! (if you're weird like Hound and wait for the whooooooole show to come out on DVD before you start watching something). Not sure if it's the same in the comic, can't remember. So read at own discretion.
SPOILER! (select to read)
They explain somewhere in the first season (forget where, remember the ep but not which one it was) that the "virus" lives in the spinal cord where it connects to the brain, therefore reanimating some of the basic functions, or somesuch. My problem with that is that they see it as a virus. Virus suggests there's a cure coming, and as I've said I'm not down with the concept of "curing" a zombie. I dunno, I may be way off base- maybe a "zombie vaccine"? Eh.
Now, I can't remember offhand if it's been explained the same way elsewhere... so if this is, like, a common way of explaining it, just assume I live in a box or something.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The comic has never, as far as I can recall, looked into the hows and whys of what makes zombies work. So that is presumably an invention of the show.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

I read the spoiler as I most likely will never see the show and honestly it explains nothing.
A virus is a piece of DNA information which nests in a cell reprogramming it. An organism still has to live and function in its own... If the host dies of poor nutrition or damage to the body, then even a virus cannot stop it.
It is still an animal/human organism functioning according to the same physics and chemistry. It is just a mutation.

This is why either these beings are dead and zombies (magic) or alive mutants (virus or bacteria).

And if alive, you can kill it by destroying any important organ, starvation, suffocation, bleeding, etc.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

The Walking Dead comic intenionally avoided whys and hows because Robert Kirkman wanted to focus on the people surviving. It is what it is and how it is, which works well for me as far as fiction goes as it's a simple "Here is how you are expected to suspend your disbelief."
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

That's really the only way to do zombies; they are ridiculous and impossible in every way you can think of. The fun of them is in what they represent for the people left behind- some psychobabbly about a reflection of ourselves or whatnot.
I like bears.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

The best zombie stories never focus on the zombies. It should always be about the interactions of the survivors and how they cope with the situation. The zombies are just a storytelling device.
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

Well sure fiction can be ridiculous and impossible, but I do like it when the authors at least try to make it seem possible in our life. And do huge gaps in the why and how take away the quality of the story for me.

It is like time travel being handled so childish wrong (especially in Star Trek) that I cannot watch it with enthusiasm and being immersed by the story.

To get back to the topic:
If my people would be infected mutants, try to cage them and prevent them from harming them more. Hope for cure.
If undead zombie, destroy it.
borg72

Post by borg72 »

how you're all describing zombies is how I'd thought vampires worked, with the viruses and the biting and whatnot. My impression of zombies was that they expressly were magical. I should point out that my first impression was Papa Shango, so that might have something to do with it.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Addl wrote:Well sure fiction can be ridiculous and impossible, but I do like it when the authors at least try to make it seem possible in our life. And do huge gaps in the why and how take away the quality of the story for me.
But that's one thing I've liked about the Walking Dead comic up til now. As you are supposed to be on the survivors journey, you have about as much information as them. When you die you come back. Destroying the brain stops the undead. Everyone can come back, regardless of how they die. The reason being bitten turns you isn't that it spreads whatever brings them back, everyone already does that, it's that the zombies are so filthy and full of disease that it's like being bitten by a komodo dragon. With medical help in short supply that's about 99% fatal. I think the survivors do sometimes use the word infected, but they would, because to a survivor that would be the easiest way to think of it. Truth is, the way the story is laid out, it could just as easily be magic.