[MOVIE SPOILER] **** possibily NOT to make a movie appearance

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

[MOVIE SPOILER] **** possibily NOT to make a movie appearance

Post by Nevermore »

The Ark.

http://www.d13satellite.com/donmurphy/s ... post731054
Originally posted by Roberto OrciOne of the questions we always had about the ark:

Why would aliens who moonlight as vehicles need other vehicles to travel inside?

Why do humans who can walk with their legs need a car to travel inside?
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Re: [MOVIE SPOILER] **** possibily NOT to make a movie appearance

Post by Jaynz »

The Ark.

Who.... who said that? I don't mind not showing the Ark.. but that as the REASON?!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

He gets that it's an interplanetary vessel, right?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, I have no problem with no showing/mention of the Ark... Just as long as they don't give a crap explanation - I hope the quote's a bit out of context...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Aye, it's by no means integral to the story.

"Why would they need a spaceship seeing as they have compatriots who can turn into spaceships?" is a valid query. "Why would they need a spaceship when they can turn into vehicles" is a slight oversimplification which misses the point massively.
T.V.
Protoform

Post by T.V. »

Originally posted by Brendocon
He gets that it's an interplanetary vessel, right?
Isn't Megatron as wel?

Putting my own spin on it, humans advance by building increasingly complex tools, like cars, tanks, hammers, etc.
Transformers on the other hand, become tools.
The don't build a car or a hammer, they transform into one.
If they want to travel interstellar distances, they design alt modes capable of such feats.

That's IMO also the underlying philosophy why the movie bots don't have firearms, but rather have parts of their body transform into weapons, much like T-X from Terminator III is able to.

Furthermore, why would a TF use a giant spaceship to travel such a distance, if a Space Bridge is available?
Seems to me that TFs travel much like Jodi Foster's character ultimately does in the climax of Contact.
They exit the Space Bridge just shy of the atmosphere, entering it in heat resisant pods they function much like the Gemini, Apollo and Sojoez pods, and the future Space Shuttle replacement.
Ah...forget it!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by T.V.
Isn't Megatron as wel?

Yes. And I'm sure he's more than amenable to the Autobots hitching a lift in him whenever they need to get about a bit.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Yeah, Prowl can just.. ya know.. completely rebuild himself at any time for any purpose.. just like we can convert a tank into a space shuttle while on the battlefield.

:eyebrow:
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

I just had this idea for a premature April Fool's joke:

"We were thinking: Why would alien robots that disguise as Earth vehicles need to transform into humanoid robots anyways? So ultimately we had no reason to have them transform anymore. Which was kind of convenient, because Bay was afraid that using a name such as 'Transformers' would tie the movie to old stuff, which would drive people off from watching it. So we decided to get rid of the robots transfoming thing and renamed the project 'SPACEBOTS'."
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
jhlucas
Protoform

Post by jhlucas »

Originally posted by Nevermore
I just had this idea for a premature April Fool's joke:

"We were thinking: Why would alien robots that disguise as Earth vehicles need to transform into humanoid robots anyways? So ultimately we had no reason to have them transform anymore. Which was kind of convenient, because Bay was afraid that using a name such as 'Transformers' would tie the movie to old stuff, which would drive people off from watching it. So we decided to get rid of the robots transfoming thing and renamed the project 'SPACEBOTS'."
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh, that's good!

The Ark was what it was: a means of high-capacity transportation. How many bots could turn into something that big (not counting Unicron and Primus)? Fort-Max, maybe?
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

The Ark was what it was: a means of high-capacity transportation. How many bots could turn into something that big (not counting Unicron and Primus)? Fort-Max, maybe?

Not many. Astrotrain (in shuttle mode), Sky Lynx, Broadside (in some episodes), Fort Max, Scorponok, Trypticon, Metroplex (as a guess, we never see him doing it), Brave Max, Grand Max, Tidal Wave (manga), and Omega Supreme (G1 cartoon only).

I was SO hoping that the script had ditched the magic 'nano-ball' concept.. doesn't sound like it's changed much at all from the last leaked script, really.

And, you know, human-like metallic faces are unrealistic and impossible! Except for the holloween statuary I saw in Target yesterday which did JUST THAT.

Is it safe to say that the creative staff on this movie are morons yet?
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Don't forget Cosmos. I distinctly remember a G1 episode of several autobots riding through space in the cavernous innards of wee little Cosmos.
AutobotJazz
Protoform

Post by AutobotJazz »

Ah then you must have missed the episode where Cosmos gets his Tardis circuit added...big celebration had by all!
Thanks to StoneCold Skywarp for the Sig
jhlucas
Protoform

Post by jhlucas »

Originally posted by Notabot
Don't forget Cosmos. I distinctly remember a G1 episode of several autobots riding through space in the cavernous innards of wee little Cosmos.

Ahhh...the joys of plot holes wiped away by mass-shifting.
;)

Not that I have a problem with mass-shifting in general. I mean, come on, if we can accept sentient-transforming-alien-robots, laser rifles, the whole quasi-mystical matrix, and the planet-eating demon Unicron...is mass-shifting really THAT big an issue?

Back to the thread topic...I totally agree with Nevermore's reasoning. TFs would use huge spacecraft for multiple reasons, but namely one: in the absence of a gigantic bot (i.e. Fortress Maximus, etc) or a space-bridge, huge ships are efficient for mass-transportation.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Ah, yes, the bug spray episode. Wonder why I blocked THAT from my mind. (Actually, it was executed pretty well, just a really stupid premise, though...)
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Originally posted by TFVanguard
Ah, yes, the bug spray episode. Wonder why I blocked THAT from my mind. (Actually, it was executed pretty well, just a really stupid premise, though...)

And even then it was only Bumblebee and Spike. And don't forget Hoist driving Huffer in one episode.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Tetsuro
And don't forget Hoist driving Huffer in one episode.

That has to be one of the biggest "WTF?" moments in the kids' show, just because it was meant to look like that and someone really thought it made sense...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Brendocon
Yes. And I'm sure he's more than amenable to the Autobots hitching a lift in him whenever they need to get about a bit.

Well, considering how stupid Megatron usually is, it'd probably all be part of some cunning plan.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Don't forget that the Ark (allegedly, errm) carried non-active TFs on the voyage that ended with the crash on Earth. So, we're looking at more of a complex spaceship a la Enterprise than a Transforming spaceship; we have a lot of tales showing that non-sentient etc vehicles were built and used on and off Cybertron.

And now have an image of assorted 'bots thumbing a lift as Megs goes by. Cheers for that! ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]