Comic-Con Transformers comic news.

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Terome

Comic-Con Transformers comic news.

Post by Terome »

From the Allspark, via live updates:

http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.ph ... opic=80977

In summary, Costa is leaving after 'Chaos,' there will be two monthly ongoings after #125, 'More Than Meets The Eye' by Roche and Roberts and 'Robots In Disguise' by Barber and Andrew Griffith.

'Autocracy' will be eight pages every two weeks (or does 'bi-monthly' mean 'every two months,' I always forget) with art by Livo.

And this is a bit ambiguous at the moment, but it looks as though the Wildman/Furman #81 is coming in 2012.

Gosh.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

With the exception of 81, all sounds very promising, surely not even IDW could **** this up. They will, though, and it'll be great to see them really pull out the stops.

I mean, two ongoings... These guys can't make consecutive stories work, how are they going to handle parallel ones?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

[Can't watch the video at the moment, so just going on what's been said so far...]

If the Rocahrts one is guaranteed to be a relatively standalone read I'll at least give the first trade a go, the only real problem is LSOTW seems to have been pretty much a case of "Write us something, anything, to shut the moaners up", how well will they cope under the full glare of IDW editing?

Though wait, Barber is the new editor isn't he? And he's writing the other ongoing? That could wind up a bit messy...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Terome

Post by Terome »

Though wait, Barber is the new editor isn't he? And he's writing the other ongoing? That could wind up a bit messy...
I do get the feeling that he might be the 'grown-up' in this relationship, but I'd think that would be a good way to go, if true. Besides, Roche and Roberts are great at navigating through and around spare ideas and Barber seems to have an attention to minutia that would fit the profile of a 90s serial killer.
I mean, two ongoings... These guys can't make consecutive stories work, how are they going to handle parallel ones?
Have you lot read 'Convergence?' Can't recommend it as a great story but it is a great example of giving a shit.

I can see delays possibly being a problem. Along with Barber wearing two hats, Roche isn't lightning-quick and Griffith struggled a bit on that last issue of the DOTM comic. Alex Milne may be on standby.

In a fit on contrariness, I am thirsting for more information on 'Autocracy' than anything else. That Moonbase 2 interview with Flint Dille really perked up my interest in the Transformers cartoon in general, and I'm eager to see how the publishing model unfolds.
With the exception of 81, all sounds very promising
Do you reckon you'll so much as check it out? Wouldn't blame anyone on giving it a miss, but it will be fun to talk about.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

So...2 new ongoings, one written by Roberts with Roche on art, TF #81 and Mike Costa stepping down? Sounds like a lot of change and most of it for the better. I've heard mostly good things about Barber's work on TFs, Wreckers was, obviously, awesome, and the ongoing seems to have improved with Roberts on board. Plus Schmidt has left so the editing should improve.

I think Roberts and Roche on a new ongoing is pretty much a dream come true. I'm sure I was hoping, in some wild fit of pique, to get that combination, and now we will. Awesome. Hope it all turns out as well as expected.
Bluecatcinema
Protoform

Post by Bluecatcinema »

I can't wait to see what they do with #81, and where they'll take the story from there.
durhamwitenite
Protoform

Post by durhamwitenite »

#81 sounds exciting but I would have loved and animated comic.

Post by Cliffjumper »

Terome wrote:Do you reckon you'll so much as check it out? Wouldn't blame anyone on giving it a miss, but it will be fun to talk about.
I expect I'll give the first couple a try, just because you never know - and I'm always happy to be proved wrong by something being much better than I predicted. More realistically, I've a morbid fascination with just how much Furman's going to miss the point of the Marvel material.
inflatable dalek

I'm not sure I've got any interest left in seeing car crash TF comics in slow motion anymore, AHM pretty much filled my quota on that.

I do hope they have enough sense to ensure both ongoings can be read alone rather than interconnected right from the start. If people brought onto the one by the creative team like what they read they'll probably wind up getting both books anyway, but they (or at least I anyway) won't bother at all it there's much sense of inaccessibility right from the start. Do the big crossovers once they've built up an audience. Have one out in space, one on Earth, spread out the big names amongst the two and have very little shared out between them.

Which one is going to be the current ongoing? Or are they going back to issue 1 with this?
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Everything Dalek Said. Keep the two strands seperate except for one big crossover every 18-24 issues.

I don't get the point of doing Marvel #81. Main reason is that it's going to fail to live up to what the hardcore fans would want (like star wars:phantom menace etc.) and it's not going to drag in those who haven't read the marvel stuff previously. Like me.

Really looks like Chaos is going to be a massive finish to the past few years. It's re-boot number 4 (i think...)!!!
Terome

Post by Terome »

I do hope they have enough sense to ensure both ongoings can be read alone rather than interconnected right from the start... Have one out in space, one on Earth, spread out the big names amongst the two and have very little shared out between them.
Yes, they'd be crazy not to go that route. All we've got to go on so far is a cover for the Barber / Griffith 'Robots In Disguise' one - unless it is a fake-out, it looks as though there will be a cast of the original Infiltration team possibly minus Prime, who we are supposed to be expecting to be dead by then. With that cast, the title, and Barber's eagerness to get into real-world history and such, I think a down-to-Earth, possibly Bayish comic is in the works there.

With those bases covered, that leaves the Roche / Roberts 'More Than Meets The Eye' comic with a lesser-known cast, a shift in focus away from Earth and one or possibly two Cybertrons hanging around out there in the tattered fabric of the story universe. That's more than sufficient a playground for the chaps.

I suspect they'll do #1s for both. It's the in thing again.
I expect I'll give the first couple a try, just because you never know - and I'm always happy to be proved wrong by something being much better than I predicted. More realistically, I've a morbid fascination with just how much Furman's going to miss the point of the Marvel material.
The quality of his work does seem to be in inverse proportion to how psyched-up he thinks people are to read it. This petition and fan demand and such might be far too much for the poor man. I would like to think that the worst displays of missing the point on display in that Allspark interview were down to the direction Schmidt set, but it's way too early to say much about anything, I suppose.

It's been raised a couple of times on the other boards that a sublime way to pull it off might be to have a 20-year gap, but to pretend as though Transformers comics have been coming out, full-pelt, the whole time, Radioactive Man style. You'd be left with a story deeply afflicted with the shifting demands of the Transformers market over the past generation - the whole of Beast Wars and Beast Machines would have had to have been shoved in sideways somewhere, a defeated but unrepentant Gigatron would be rubbing shoulders with Krok. Fort Max's original head, hopped up on Mini-Cons, would be leading some splinter group of Omnicons on Nebulous, while shifts in art style and tone during flashbacks would reflect the strange time the comics industry has been through.

It would be a mess, but what a glorious mess it would be.
inflatable dalek

Terome wrote:Yes, they'd be crazy not to go that route. All we've got to go on so far is a cover for the Barber / Griffith 'Robots In Disguise' one - unless it is a fake-out, it looks as though there will be a cast of the original Infiltration team possibly minus Prime, who we are supposed to be expecting to be dead by then. With that cast, the title, and Barber's eagerness to get into real-world history and such, I think a down-to-Earth, possibly Bayish comic is in the works there.
Lets hope so anyway. I certainly think the space stuff will be the Rocharts main strength. The big problem I can see on the horizon is, even though the results are worth it, Roche might not be up to the speed of a monthly comic. Both minis he was on had to draft in another artist to meet the schedule with mixed results (Guido worked, but Raiz, though a brilliant artist in his own right, had such a different style to Roche they didn't mesh at all. I know Roche now thinks it was a mistake to split each issue between them rather than giving Raiz all of 4 and doing all of 5 himself to make the difference stand out less).

They could cover that though by having a guest artist pencilled in every four months or so.
I suspect they'll do #1s for both. It's the in thing again.
Though isn't all this going to be very confusing to any potential buyers who don't follow the message boards and announcements? Part of the reason for the ongoing was to make thing simpler after working out which mini to read when had gotten too confusing (of course, they then instantly muddied the waters by doing two minis a month as well, but that IDW all over). Now there's going to be a last issue with a massive numbering jump before two issue ones with little clue for anyone who's been following the ongoing without paying much attention to anything else which is the one they should be buying to carry on with what they've been reading so far.

These things shouldn't need extra curriculum reading to work out what should be read when, especially not the ongoings which really should be the most unashamedly populist and accessible of the books.

Ohhh, how about this for #81, do a couple of years set between #80 and G2, you could do stuff with Grimlock running into various Cybertronian outposts, the Autobots getting used to peace, perhaps various non Bludgeon Decepticons (give a final end to Shockwave, and if they're going to ignore the UK stuff have Optimus and Galvatron have the epic meeting his thoughts in G2 #1 suggests they have). Then, jump to after G2, possibly with a tie in trade of the original, following up on the Leige, devastated Earth and so.

It'd be hard to do, and isn't a direction I can see them ever going in, but something like that if done properly could have a lot of missing adventure style potential.
coinilius
Protoform

Post by coinilius »

I read on the TFW2005 forums somewhere that it was only going to be 81 to 100 which might mean that a G1 to G2 bridge could be neatly worked in as the story. That's if it is true. Which it might not be as I'm too lazy to look for that thread and check.