New Simon Furman Interview

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Aardvark

New Simon Furman Interview

Post by Aardvark »

Originally reported by Geo at the IDW Boards. A lot of reveals and spoilers so look away if that's not your cup of tea.

http://comicnewsi.com/article.php?catid=208&itemid=8746

Here's the main points, click on the above link for the full thing:
Interview - Simon Furman Talks Stormbringer

CNI: Does Stormbringer take place within the same continuity established by Infiltration? If yes, at what point in time does the story take place in relation to Infiltration (some years before, directly afterwards, etc...)

Simon: Stormbringer runs more or less parallel with Infiltration (and then feeds into Escalation). You'll see the odd direct mirror scene or cause and effect. One example: when Megatron (in Infiltration #4) says "Yes. Especially Cybertron," you get to see who he's saying it to (and what it implies) in Stormbringer #3. By the end of Infiltration #6, Stormbringer is done and dusted, as the appearance of a certain key character underlines. But Stormbringer also flashes back to a much earlier confrontation on Cybertron, so you get that too. It also sets up more stuff for the future. Really, it's got a bit of everything.

CNI: Which Autobots and Decepticons can we expect to see as the key players in this story? Grimlock or Ultra Magnus by any chance?

Simon: No Grimlock. No Ultra Magnus. But... I wouldn't rule out either appearing (either as lead or supporting characters) in the one-shots. Stormbringer's main protagonist is Thunderwing, and pitted against him we have the likes of Optimus Prime, Jetfire, Springer (and the Wreckers), the Technobots, the Predacons and more besides.

CNI: Will you tackle some of these characters in a different manner than you have in the past? For example, Ratchet's character in Infiltration was very different from what we're used to. Will any other Transformers, such as Jetfire, go through similar character overhauls?

Simon: Definitely. Though I'm always working from the established character profiles, I'm looking to surprise and tinker wherever possible. I don't want these to be exactly the characters you've seen before. For example, Hot Rod. I've taken key elements of the character (brash, hot-headed, cocky) and gone in a whole new direction with what makes him tick, and what kind of hothead he is. I really want to defy long-time fans' expectations, and give new readers a sense that they're getting a 'whole' character, from scratch.

CNI: Will we see more Cybertronian vehicle/robot modes reminiscent of War Within?

Simon: Absolutely. No one will have an Earth-style mode until there's a good reason for them to have one (which, basically, is... they're on Earth, so in local disguise). When Megatron first shows up on Earth, he's still in his Cybertronian form, and because (at first) he has no intention of staying, doesn't bother to refit himself. By Escalation #2, he's decided to hang around, and at that point goes with a local alt. mode configuration. But I should make it clear: these are not War Within versions. Not exactly. Don, EJ, Nick (and others who are currently working on the series) are redesigning everyone. Sure, you'll see elements of War Within designs, but these are purely Cybertronian forms.

CNI: How will this Cybertron be different from the one we know?

Simon: It's in a lot worse shape. For the Autobots (and Decepticons) in Stormbringer, it's far from a happy homecoming.

CNI: How will the history and origins of the Transformers themselves differ from what we've seen in previous incarnations of the cartoon and comic?

Simon: For the time being, I'm staying away from origins, etc. Certainly, we're not in any hurry to get into planet devouring demigods and the like. That's not to say I haven't thought about the very beginning, but we may never actually get there. Certainly, there are mysteries and questions from and about the dim distant past, but I'm of the opinion it's not as important as where we are now, and all that's going to happen. But, assuming we delve into a definitive origin, it will not be what's gone before. Or not exactly. I don't want to rehash/retread anything, big or small.

CNI: Without giving away too much, what kind of revelations do you have in store for the readers?

Simon: Heaps of revelations (or at least, teases of revelations). The machinations of Shockwave, the mystery of the 'first' Ark, the 'other' Transformers, the quest for the Magnificence, the Reapers. And that's the big stuff, on Earth, we're about to learn just how far-reaching the Decepticons' influence really is, what the Machination really want and what reinforcements both Prime and Megatron are going to throw at the escalating crisis/conflict. Phew!

CNI: I've seen images of Thunderwing floating around the internet, will he be involved in this storyline?

Simon: He's Stormbringer's big bad. But I have a sneaking suspicion his story (after the four issues are done) isn't over. Certainly, the legacy of what he's done (to himself and to Cybertron and a certain other planet) will continue to have consequences and repercussions.

CNI: Will he once again be obsessed with possessing the Autobot Matrix?

Simon: No.

CNI: As I'm writing this, Beast Wars is now complete, and Infiltration is almost there as well. What other TF projects do you have on the way besides Stormbringer?

Simon: Up and coming, we have the Spotlight one-shots (Shockwave gets us up and running in September, followed by Nightbeat, then Hot Rod and... well, you'll have to wait and see). Then there's the Beast Wars Profiles series (which I'm co-writing with Ben Yee, who was the consultant on the TV show), and soon after that a second Beast Wars miniseries (which draws on elements from the Profiles book). Ben and I worked hard to make one big (cohesive) BW Universe (from the somewhat disparate US and Japanese TV shows), and that process of uniting/defining the entire span of BW continues in the second miniseries. And of course there's Escalation, and then Devastation. Oops, did I say too much?

CNI: Will we see a second Beast Wars mini-series? I'd love to see more of Beast Wars Grimlock.

Simon: More BW... ye-es! More Grimlock... ye-es!

CNI: Is there any chance that War Within: Age of Wrath will be completed, or Primeval Dawn even? If not, would you consider telling us where those stories were going, along with Transformers: Energon?

Simon: I'd love to finish up the storylines we left dangling in Age of Wrath and Energon, but until all the dust has settled on Dreamwave (as was), we just can't go there. In the meantime, I'm going to keep the stuff that was upcoming under my hat.

CNI: Death's Head 3.0 has made his debut in the pages of Amazing Fantasy over at Marvel, will we see more of this character over at the House of Ideas?

Simon: I hope so. But there are no plans (I know of) currently to revisit the character. I'll certainly be pushing for more, more, more.

CNI: Would you ever consider writing a comic based on the Transformers: Robots in Disguise cartoon series? I'd be curious to see how you'd handle the Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus of that series.

Simon: I have to say, a RiD comic would be fairly low down in my list of TF series I'd love to write. I only have so much time, and there's so much else I want to do in terms of Transformers. But, as they say, never say never.

CNI: Who is the Stormbringer?

Simon: It's kind of a catchall. By their very (warring) nature, all Transformers are 'stormbringers.' But specifically, it refers to Thunderwing.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Stuff that stands out:

"Up and coming, we have the Spotlight one-shots (Shockwave gets us up and running in September, followed by Nightbeat, then Hot Rod"

Nice.

"there's Escalation, and then Devastation."

If I'm pegging this right, I think I'm really, really going to enjoy it...
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Just as long as Devastation has nothing to do with Devastator. I genuinely don't want to see Gestalts any time soon… maybe a spin-off title.

First thought: Magnus isn't in it therefore not all the characters pictured are, hopefully that means the Head/Targetmasters are absent.

Furman really got me "drooling" with (Despite the tad Fan Fic vibe)the “Reapers”, “Magnificence Quest” and “First Ark” stuff. The other Transformers really stood out for me, though it screams Lost. Furman got the balance just right, gave away enough to keep us hankering for more without giving too much away. Mind you I'm not too keen on the Hotrod spotlight
-Alex???
starscreamjericho
Protoform

Post by starscreamjericho »

i would like to see an omega or alpha trion spotlight
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Originally posted by starscreamjericho
i would like to see an omega or alpha trion spotlight

Alpha Trion is too close to Dreamwave for my comfort and frankly I can't see an Omega spotlight being an interesting read nor do I want to see any of the Gigantors any time soon. Unless we’re talking about Omega Spreem, I’m all for obscure characters…
-Alex???
Angelophile
Protoform

Post by Angelophile »

As deep as my love for the Furmanator goes, his work since G2 hasn't come close to recapturing the excitement and pace of his older work. While everything there sounds like it should be fun, perhaps my expectations are just too high. I've found recent work convoluted or slow or both. Hopefully Stormbringer will have a bit more bang for its buck than War Within II's generic bad guy plot.
ravimus prime
Protoform

Post by ravimus prime »

Sounds good. Some nice future projects there. The BW Universe profiles/guide should be good. Stormbringer sounds excellent aswell.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

A point about the Beast Wars profiles I made at IDW;

Though I most certainly will be buying the BW profiles (Profile books are a guilty pleasure of mine and something that DW actually managed not to cock up, even with the augmentation of it continuity into the profiles) I do hope they won't be essential for the Beast Wars storyline and I certainly hope they won't be used as a get out of jail free card in regards to characterisation and furthermore the relationships between certain characters and whatnot
-Alex???
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Stormbringer - yes. Nice idea. Thunderwing? Um. We'll see.

Enough teasers there for me to be going round to the comics emporium and putting even more orders in. I rather like the way the series will dovetail together. It has all been slow to date, but this is the lead in to a new wave of TF action and mythos, and has been a good enough intro for what's coming, I think.

Oh, what the hey - I like Hot Rod. Just please don't feature OP, Mr F, please.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Aardvark
Just as long as Devastation has nothing to do with Devastator. I genuinely don't want to see Gestalts any time soon… maybe a spin-off title.
We haven't see Infiltrator or Escalator show up yet, so we may be in safe hands...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

So what ...tion do we think will be used for the fourth IDW arc then? I have a Suggestion (BWAHAHAHAHA) but I'm trying to cut down on inuendo.

I like the idea of Stormbringer being set during Infiltration and scenes from the latter being seen in a different context in the former (A bit Fool for Love/Darla).
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

The one-shot choices have been pretty good so far. No Prime, Megs, or Grimlock. Sweet.

We have Shockwave the devious genius type.
We have Nightbeat the inquisitive dectective type.
We have Hotrod the brash, braggart type.

Waiting for:
-the maniacal, crazed type
-the softspoken, gentle type
-the aloof, apathetic type
-the joking prankster type

I think showcasing these different types of personalities with the backdrop of the all-out war would be pretty sweet and allow for some memorable characters and stories.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Well, now he's done a new interview, is there any chance of him doing his first new Transformers script for a decade or so?

Eh?

Eh?

EH?

Huh, my crazy comedy stylings are wasted on scum like you. I'm off to kill some minorities.
Angelophile
Protoform

Post by Angelophile »

Infiltration has been new.

It's just been a two issue script, at most, stretched over six.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Originally posted by Angelophile

It's just been a two issue script, at most, stretched over six.

In fairness, its a three to four issue script.
Dreadwing
Protoform

Post by Dreadwing »

I have to say that I now have a better appreciation for Infiltration. With Stormbringer takeing place durring it, and knowing that the one shots are comeing, makeing Infiltration the way it is is quite clever. In infiltration, the reader knows pretty much only as much as the three kids. This sets up about a million questions. Much better than just blatantly hurtling robot on robot action at us( a la dreamwave) or useing the first issue to explain the entire history( a la marvel). Just drop on in and learn as we go.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Forget the rest of it, I just want the Nightbeat one-shot. :D
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Angelophile

Yeh, sorry, forgot we all have to remain po-faced in the News & Barcodes forum :) My bad.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Well, now he's done a new interview, is there any chance of him doing his first new Transformers script for a decade or so?

Considering he's done lots of new interviews in that decade I doubt it very much...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Dreadwing
I have to say that I now have a better appreciation for Infiltration. With Stormbringer takeing place durring it, and knowing that the one shots are comeing, makeing Infiltration the way it is is quite clever. In infiltration, the reader knows pretty much only as much as the three kids. This sets up about a million questions. Much better than just blatantly hurtling robot on robot action at us( a la dreamwave) or useing the first issue to explain the entire history( a la marvel). Just drop on in and learn as we go.
Yup... as someone just summed up rather neatly:

(Me) "We've found out more [...] than may be readily apparent -- Decepticon infiltration, militaristic Autobots, the Machination, a mass highway slaughter, humans being acceptable casualties, military kidnappings, the mysterious ore and Starscream's plot."
Originally posted by Magnusblitz
I think the reason people aren't realizing this is because it's not being shoved in their faces; it's only subtlely being mentioned. There is a LOT going on in Infiltration, and it is a VERY different universe from the ones we've gotten before - just the refreshing change the TF universe needed. DW had a tendacy to slap people in the face with their plot points; even though nothing really happened, it seemed like it was - wow, Sunstorm! Omega Supreme! Bruticus! Explosions! Wow!
...so I'd better ask the same question: assuming I get around to writing a retrospective of Infiltration 1-6, would it be alright if I quote you?