Dead Universe as a meta-fictional analogy

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
relak
Protoform

Dead Universe as a meta-fictional analogy

Post by relak »

Was reading through the -tion series again and one big thing got to me which speaks of how much potential was lost.

The whole "dead universe" could have been cleverly used as a meta-fictional commentary on pervious "TF comic universes" and their unfortunate fate.
It would have also helped set up a "multiverse" concept for TRansformers comics.

The Hub-like structure of the planets within the Dead universe could be the remenants of the G2 universe
The Darkness will be the remenants of the the corrupted Matrix from the Marvel G1 universe

"The D-void" could have been written to be interpreted as a series threat of cancellation (a powerful force to extinguish all life in a "universe"). A malignant force waiting to strike from the shadows the moment the status quo starts to slip.

I had always envisioned, based on the "2 years later but no longer canon" Mosiac issue where Hunter O'nion reflects on his past adventures, that when the Transformers enter the dead universe, they will find the corpses of multiple past incarnations of themselves. Optimus in particular would meet the dead husks of Marvel G1, G2, Energon and Dreamwave Primes.

This concept was sort of glimpsed in "Heart Of Darkness" where GAlvatron went into the Portal and saw multiple versions of past universe's Megatrons.

Such a meta-textual analogy would have elevated Transformers comics into something "smarter" than your average comic book based on a toyline.

Alas................
Dreadwing
Protoform

Post by Dreadwing »

I was actually quite hoping for something along these lines as well. The dead universe could have been one of many that had been devoured by Unicron, much like what we saw in the armada storyline. I was also expecting/hoping that Galvatron would after having absorbed the "darkness" eventually become a reincarnation of Unicron.

Having characters see many dead former versions of themselves would have been hilarious. You are right to, it would have realy given a structured thought to the whole multiverse idea.
relak
Protoform

Post by relak »

Dreadwing wrote:I was actually quite hoping for something along these lines as well. The dead universe could have been one of many that had been devoured by Unicron, much like what we saw in the armada storyline. I was also expecting/hoping that Galvatron would after having absorbed the "darkness" eventually become a reincarnation of Unicron.

Having characters see many dead former versions of themselves would have been hilarious. You are right to, it would have realy given a structured thought to the whole multiverse idea.
Alternate universes were aso glimpsed in Spotlight Mirage where it was hinted that IDW's Mirage was actually a decepticon defector who betrayed the autobots in an aternate dimension but ended up switching places with his IDW self.

Well Galvatron was on the verge of some magnificent revelation when he absorbed the Darkness. So who knows.

I doubt the whole unicron connection though since Simon Furman himself said no unicron
TLB80

Post by TLB80 »

relak wrote:I doubt the whole unicron connection though since Simon Furman himself said no unicron
Yes, but didn't IDW later decide to ignore that and said that if they could come up with a good way to use Unicron, they'd do so?

I'll try and dig up the link.
StarscreamX
Protoform

Post by StarscreamX »

I think Unicron is probably going to be showing up. In that story set in the distant future there's some reference to Wheelie being the first Autobot to see 'The Great Destroyer' or something like that, presumably a reference to whatever happened that drove him mad

As it looks like that plot is finally getting followed up on, with Prime, Hardhead and Wheelie heading back to the planet where Wheelie was stranded and we're apparently going to find out just what happened between the events of his Spotlight and meeting Rodimus

If anyone can think of something interesting to do with the guy it's probably Barber and Roberts so I'm okay with him showing up
Decepticons forever!

Across the universe...the dead will rise :devil:

The secrets of the Universe reveal themselves to those who listen

Nobody likes you when you're dead
relak
Protoform

Post by relak »

StarscreamX wrote:I think Unicron is probably going to be showing up. In that story set in the distant future there's some reference to Wheelie being the first Autobot to see 'The Great Destroyer' or something like that, presumably a reference to whatever happened that drove him mad

As it looks like that plot is finally getting followed up on, with Prime, Hardhead and Wheelie heading back to the planet where Wheelie was stranded and we're apparently going to find out just what happened between the events of his Spotlight and meeting Rodimus

If anyone can think of something interesting to do with the guy it's probably Barber and Roberts so I'm okay with him showing up
I really do hope they follow up the Qunitesson foreshadowing in Wheelie's spotlight
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

There's also another wheelie link in issue 7 of RID - the alien he befriended in the spotlight is of a race that can build time machines. Maybe the big event for this era of IDWs transformers is to build towards the Lost light crew releasing Unicron from the Crypt (pure guess work on that) or something.
Cycotron
Protoform

Post by Cycotron »

I actually like this idea of a transformer multiverse, it could set up the idea for a new series of comics Ala "Crisis on Infinite Earths" type of storyline
relak
Protoform

Post by relak »

Red Dave Prime wrote:There's also another wheelie link in issue 7 of RID - the alien he befriended in the spotlight is of a race that can build time machines. Maybe the big event for this era of IDWs transformers is to build towards the Lost light crew releasing Unicron from the Crypt (pure guess work on that) or something.
Time machine??!?!?!!?!??!?

hmmm
Another possible metafictional analogy of fiction properties continual obsession with revisiting the past storylines (eg: Larry Hama's G i Joe, Furman's TF Regeneration etc)