Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Collected data — http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/sales.php

Transformers Comic Sales for February 2006

Ranking in Top 300:

53 TRANSFORMERS INFILTRATION #2

58 TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS (IDW) #1 (Of 4)*

That's a drop from issue #1 of Infiltration of more than 20 spots, with #2 estimated at selling around 33,000 copies. Ouch.

An estimation for Beast Wars #1 sales would be around 32,000 copies.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Sadly, not surprised. TF comics are a double niche... as good as the series may (or may not) be, it's got a pretty limited audience to it. :S

Now, if they did a manga-style paperback...
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

Post by Ford DeceptiFocus »

Considering how much everybody seems to be whining about Infiltration on the boards, it's not shocking to me at all. Personally, I like the story so far--since I realize it's the "set-up" to something bigger.

What does surprise me is Beast Wars. Thought this was going to be much bigger!

They really need to have better promotion--still feel strongly that they should do toy tie ins. It's a no brainer. JUST promoting in a comic book store with minimal traffic or on an independent website isn't going to bring the big numbers.

I wouldn't mind doing some freelance marketing for them;)
Till All Are Drunk with the Matrix!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Ford DeceptiFocus
Considering how much everybody seems to be whining about Infiltration on the boards, it's not shocking to me at all.

Yeh, everyone's whining because we aren't buying all 97 covers and some of us can read it without masturbating. People whining isn't a bad thing; it's when they stop whining and either a) happily accept whatever dross is slapped between the covers, no offence or b) stop whining because they've dropped the book. People don't have reservations about Infiltration randomly out of spite - Hell, enough people think they can't do any wrong simply because they're not Dreamwave. The sales drop is likely to be partially to do with people who started out with a "collect them all" mentality, and partly due to the usual drop from a #1 to #2, with less random buyers prepared to gamble $2.25 (or whatever, I'm not getting up to find the thing for pedantry) on a future collector's item.

They're healthy sales, tbh, as long as they stabilise thereabouts. The DW series benefitted from what was basically a decade's anticipation and a totally clear board (lots of casual fans, because not all are plugged into Ver Intarweb, probably didn't really take in whether anything's changed... why should Infiltration be any less disappointing than, say, that crap with the Insecticons?) to get their sales figures - they also went for hype over long-term plans, and had Lee's sizeable following behind them, plus the peak of the nostalgia bubble.

BW - I'm pleased and surprised it's actually done so well. It's a small market within a small market within a small market... it's the comic buyers who buy Transformers comics who like Beast Wars and want a comic of Beast Wars... comic sales have nothing to do with quality.

I'm very skeptical about the idea of toy cross-promotion. It'd snare only a small amount of buyers, probably not enough to warrant the effort. What toys would you pack in a smaller comic with? Alternators? How many would you lose after one purchase when they realise it's not about Alternators? Maybe neo-G1 would be a possible, but again I seriously think most of those who would be interested in a Transformers comic are aware of it. Those are respectable figures, as a nostalgia/toy tie-in title is never going to consistently rock long-established DC/Marvel superhero titles.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

The upcoming Beast Wars 10th anniversary Primal and Megatron toys (which have very little to do with the characters those are supposed to present) will have some kind of comic book included. Too bad those weren't released before "Beast Wars: Gethering".

I'm nowadays quite picky with the comics I read, and I'm glad that to notice that I could have bought Infiltration even if it hadn't been a Transformers comic. It also helps that now I can even recommend the series for my friends.

-> I know few Finnish comic collectors/readers who have bought the #0 and #1 issues after reading good reviews for the series. And these are actually people who weren't ready to give the series a change, after disappointment for Dreamwave material. I hope there are or will be more of this kind of customers for IDW.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
20 spots
This is relative to whatever else is causing a stir -- given a few more issues we may have buying trends, but there's very little to be gained from initial months stats. First of all, those are store pre-orders, not sales to customers. Stores order ahead of time, and will order more of a #1 -- if they they then sell out of #1 and #2, it's another couple of months before they put in a larger order for later issues.
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Yeh, everyone's whining because we aren't buying all 97 covers and some of us can read it without masturbating.

Are you saying that you are looking forward to an issue that you CAN masturbate to? Personally, I think that is rather severe, but hey, to each his own. As for me, I prefer p*rn--the non transforming kind. *grin*

BW - I'm pleased and surprised it's actually done so well. It's a small market within a small market within a small market... it's the comic buyers who buy Transformers comics who like Beast Wars and want a comic of Beast Wars... comic sales have nothing to do with quality.

It appears to be general consensus that Beast Wars was far superior to G1, in terms of its associated cartoon. Most fans from the 80's seem to even prefer Beast Wars for the most adult stories. I would actually argue, there should be MORE fans for Beast Wars, than G1, since those that grew up on Beast Wars only later on discovered G1--assuming they discovered it at all. Whereas G1 fans graduated from G1 to Beast Wars--thus making the Beast Wars fans base larger.

I'm very skeptical about the idea of toy cross-promotion. It'd snare only a small amount of buyers, probably not enough to warrant the effort. What toys would you pack in a smaller comic with? Alternators? How many would you lose after one purchase when they realise it's not about Alternators? Maybe neo-G1 would be a possible, but again I seriously think most of those who would be interested in a Transformers comic are aware of it. Those are respectable figures, as a nostalgia/toy tie-in title is never going to consistently rock long-established DC/Marvel superhero titles.

We have to remember there is a HUGE difference between the casual fan, children, teens, and adult segments in the martketplace. The average kid isn't even going to know there is a new Beast Wars or Transformers comic out. They don't know "release dates"--rather they go to the store when their parents' take them--and when their parents' give them money. The average teen right now did not grow up on either G1 OR Beast Wars. They grew up on Armada/Energon/Cybertron--and the first two were kids towards CHILDREN. So unless they have discovered the toys or possibly Cybertron, the likelihood of them discovering the G1/Beast Wars comic is small. Again I'm speaking of "casual fans"...not those that visit comic book stores weekly.

Now the FANS...we tend to know release dates out months in advance. LOL. We're a little nuts. We're a SMALL percentage of the total fan base for Transformers.

What I am advocating are advertisements like you see in DVD cases promoting relating merchandise available for purchase. (ie...new comics available at comic book stores) This would raise awareness with CASUAL consumers that there even ARE new Tranformers/Beast Wars comics available to purchase. Otherwise their only shot of discovering the new comics are 1. going to a comic store w/o any guidance or expectations 2. recommendation from a friend who has discovered 3. Hearing about it online. (Again...most CASUAL consumers don't know of these boards/sites).

Also I'm NOT saying put a mini-comic in with the toy. Merely an ADVERTISEMENT to go to the comic store. :)

This all being said, I believe with the coming movie in July 2007, IDW (and Hasbro) has a GOLDEN opportunity to REALLY promote the toys (cross promotion with the movie) and the comics (cross promote with the movie AND toys). To better understand what I'm saying...look at Happy Meal toys. Happy Meal Toys are not "freebies" randomly thrown in. They are cross-promotional advertisements to go to the toy store and buy the full-size toy. :) Same concept.

Just a thought. :)

But you also bring up a pretty nifty point...an Alternator comic would be very cool. But what if...just follow me for a moment...what if the CURRENT IDW comic IS the new Neo G1 comic...and eventually it's going to lead up to the story of the Alternators? That would be pretty cool. That way, they could incorporate Unicron--logicallly--into the continuity--the Alternators into the continuity--logically--the rest of G1 & G2--logically and then wait for it....wait for it...give me what I really want....the gap from G1 to Beast Wars written about.

:D
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

Originally posted by Denyer
This is relative to whatever else is causing a stir -- given a few more issues we may have buying trends, but there's very little to be gained from initial months stats. First of all, those are store pre-orders, not sales to customers. Stores order ahead of time, and will order more of a #1 -- if they they then sell out of #1 and #2, it's another couple of months before they put in a larger order for later issues.

Completely Agree!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Are you saying that you are looking forward to an issue that you CAN masturbate to? Personally, I think that is rather severe, but hey, to each his own. As for me, I prefer p*rn--the non transforming kind. *grin*
No, but those leaps of logic and literal interpretations are sure going to help this discussion, suit, so keep 'em up :) NPI, of course...
It appears to be general consensus that Beast Wars was far superior to G1, in terms of its associated cartoon. Most fans from the 80's seem to even prefer Beast Wars for the most adult stories. I would actually argue, there should be MORE fans for Beast Wars, than G1, since those that grew up on Beast Wars only later on discovered G1--assuming they discovered it at all. Whereas G1 fans graduated from G1 to Beast Wars--thus making the Beast Wars fans base larger.
...wow. Erm, that's a pretty sweeping generalisation there. BW sold to a lot of kids who then went pretty much straight off it, thanks to BM. However, it outright enraged a lot of the old school fans (http://tfarchive.com/community/forumdis ... &forumid=4 - especially the older stuff). The difference is that people who grew up watching G1 are now largely 20-somethings with disposable incomes. Those who grew up watching BW are generally younger, with less disposable money, and lots of them are at the sort of 15-16 age where they're only just coming round to the idea that its okay to like something they did when they were 6/7.

As I said in my post, it's a subset of a subset... G1 is pretty inarguably the most popular part of Transformers, through accumulation if nothing else. Lots of BW's success at the time was that it sold beyond being Transformers to general kids, just as Armada and Energon and Cybertron have done... it doesn't necessarily mean 10 years later all those kids are going to want a comic. It's not old enough to be a nostalgia property and suck in the more casual buyer.
We have to remember there is a HUGE difference between the casual fan, children, teens, and adult segments in the martketplace. ............... Again I'm speaking of "casual fans"...not those that visit comic book stores weekly.
echo echo echo.
Also I'm NOT saying put a mini-comic in with the toy. Merely an ADVERTISEMENT to go to the comic store. :)
Which would help how? Most people are aware comic stores exist, they just chose not to go to them. Comics are a shrinking market, and leaflets in toys aimed at kids for comics that seem to be aimed squarely at fans (in the case of BW... even people with relatively decent working knowledge of the BW series aren't necessarily going to pick up the BW comic and enjoy it, especially when most of the ones they recognise aren't in it)
Happy Meal Toys are not "freebies" randomly thrown in. They are cross-promotional advertisements to go to the toy store and buy the full-size toy. :) Same concept.
Wow, I think everyone knew that. The big stumbling block is there's not a lot of money in the comic for Hasbro. It's a bit of extra profit margin for them something low-risk - as long as IDW keep paying for the license and don't totally sh*t on the property, there's ntohing that can go wrong for them. They have no reason to promote the comic when the TV series and line itself are doing well enough... the license is a product they sell to someone else. This is why companies chase the license, rather than Hasbro going from company to company with a begging bowl.

Also, I'd seriously ponder how many kids would be interested in a comic that doesn't feature anyone from the TV show they watch.

Seeing as you're going on about release dates and weekly visits to comic stores, what would these flyers consist of? I'fd imagine a generic cover with "Get IDW Transformers comics monthly... please...". The ideas of release dates and weekley visits would still be there unless the flyer was changed to promote each new issue, which wouldn't even remotely work.
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

No, but those leaps of logic and literal interpretations are sure going to help this discussion, suit, so keep 'em up :) NPI, of course...

:wall: Of course...what was I thinking? How could I think for a moment that you'd be wrong *eye roll*
...wow. Erm, that's a pretty sweeping generalisation there. BW sold to a lot of kids who then went pretty much straight off it, thanks to BM. However, it outright enraged a lot of the old school fans (http://tfarchive.com/community/forumdis ... &forumid=4 - especially the older stuff). The difference is that people who grew up watching G1 are now largely 20-somethings with disposable incomes. Those who grew up watching BW are generally younger, with less disposable money, and lots of them are at the sort of 15-16 age where they're only just coming round to the idea that its okay to like something they did when they were 6/7....

Yes, of course it's a "sweeping generalization"...if I had EXACT market data, I'd be working at Hasbro. And to be fair, your comment above was a "sweeping generalization" as well. Also, I don't know how it is in Europe, as I've only been there a few times, but in the States, pretty much every cent a 15-16 has is disposable. They don't pay rent or have a mortgage. They don't buy their own food. Etc. Etc. Of couse this is a "sweeping generalization" and I'd like to preface this as saying, "of course there are poor people in the States where young unfortunate 15-16yo's with jobs have to help support their family and I feel bad for them" for for the sake of this "sweeping generalization" let's just assume that most 15-16yo's don't have a lot of responsibility outside of attending school and picking on their siblings. :)
...Lots of BW's success at the time was that it sold beyond being Transformers to general kids, just as Armada and Energon and Cybertron have done.....

Of course you are right. What late 20's/early 30's man doesn't love the hard-hitting action and social commentary in Armada and Energon. The animation is top-notch. The actors playing the human characters have won award after award for their talents and they oddly enough annoy NO ONE in fandom. It created yet another continuity which fans LOVE. Seriously, every single person I know adored Armada and Energon. I had to beat down 6 year old boys and 40 year old men at Toys R US just to get that LAST Transformers they had available to sell. Most of time they wouldn't let us get so close to the merchandise--security was very tight....

Just so we're clear...I'm being a total smart a$$. Armada & Energon for the most part was crap and we all know it. The toys sucked (with the exception of a few). Watching the cartoons was the equivalent of having sand poured into my eyes. And I at one point honestly feared that if watched one more minute of it, I was going to break down and go insane. It was like Pokemon that transformed.

...Which would help how? Most people are aware comic stores exist, they just chose not to go to them. Comics are a shrinking market, and leaflets in toys aimed at kids for comics that seem to be aimed squarely at fans (in the case of BW... even people with relatively decent working knowledge of the BW series aren't necessarily going to pick up the BW comic and enjoy it, especially when most of the ones they recognise aren't in it).....
Dude you're killing me here. I don't know where you live, but advertising works pretty much everywhere. In the States, Target is HUGE...and everyone knows who they are...but EVERY Sunday they have a nice big pull out full-color glossy expensive ad in the paper. In the UK, they know what Virgin is, what McDonald's is, pretty much everything that we have in the States (but admittedly I wish I lived in London) but they STILL get advertising out there. It's brand retention. Keeps things fresh in consumers mind. Consumers have a SHORT attention span. Yes, they know comic books exist, but ask some people that aren't fans "What comics titles do you think are in such and such store" and they'll either say, "Batman and Superman" or "I don't know."
...The big stumbling block is there's not a lot of money in the comic for Hasbro. It's a bit of extra profit margin for them something low-risk - as long as IDW keep paying for the license and don't totally sh*t on the property, there's ntohing that can go wrong for them. They have no reason to promote the comic when the TV series and line itself are doing well enough... the license is a product they sell to someone else. This is why companies chase the license, rather than Hasbro going from company to company with a begging bowl.).....
Naivite. Licensing is HUGE to a company's bottom line. It's as simple as that. Those that think otherwise, have never had a marketing class. "No reason?" It's call MONEY. That's the ONLY reason. Companies are NOT altruistic. In case you haven't figured it out, the CARTOON exists to PROMOTE THE TOYS. Which is why when whatever cartoon at the time is shuffled off to the 5am slot, people get mad, toy executives get pissed off, and I just laugh, because again Armada/Energon sucked.
...Seeing as you're going on about release dates and weekly visits to comic stores, what would these flyers consist of? I'fd imagine a generic cover with "Get IDW Transformers comics monthly... please...". The ideas of release dates and weekley visits would still be there unless the flyer was changed to promote each new issue, which wouldn't even remotely work.

Well the current issue of a comic (tends to be) is monthly. So you have one month at a store to sell something that is "current". As an advertiser, I wouldn't be inclinded to promote individual issues, as we all know some toys end up being shelf sitters. The flyer only has to be 3" x 3" at most. "Read about the further adventures of the Transformers".... Show the current cast of characters from Cybertron promoting them, so kids could relate. Promote Beast Wars as, "What if your favorite animal, had a little surprise inside?" (younger kid advert.) or "Evolution Has a New Name--The Transformers: Beast Wars" I don't know...I don't have a full advertising creative team with me in bed at the moment while I type this, but you should be able to see my point.

:wall: But like I said, of course you are 100% right and this is just my humble opinion, but with you being absolutely right, that just means that I'm wrong.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Wow, y'know, I thought you were someone who could debate, but no, you're another guy who has a tizzy when someone argues back. Wonderful...
Yes, of course it's a "sweeping generalization"...if I had EXACT market data, I'd be working at Hasbro. And to be fair, your comment above was a "sweeping generalization" as well. Also, I don't know how it is in Europe, as I've only been there a few times, but in the States, pretty much every cent a 15-16 has is disposable. They don't pay rent or have a mortgage. They don't buy their own food. Etc. Etc.
They also generally don't earn too much, i.e. don't have much of an income... paper-rounds and whatever their parents give them. But feel free to act like a **** if it turns you on.
Just so we're clear...I'm being a total smart a$$.
And I don't think anyone would have argued had you not typed out a ****ing huge paragraph showing you're a total ass, but nevermind.
Armada & Energon for the most part was crap and we all know it. The toys sucked (with the exception of a few). Watching the cartoons was the equivalent of having sand poured into my eyes. And I at one point honestly feared that if watched one more minute of it, I was going to break down and go insane. It was like Pokemon that transformed.
Which is possibly why it sold so well. When you're marketing a toyline, you don't tend to aim it at people in the marketing industry, that's elemental. Now, what does that have to do with my point of Beast Wars selling, at the time, mainly to the same demographic that Cybertron does today? Bugger all. Absolutely **** all. I'm tempted to type different ways of saying that for nine lines, but there'd be little point. The only difference is Beast Wars went over a little better with the older fans... it's still not the mostaglia property G1 is. It's as much about social pressures as it is income, as I said.
Dude you're killing me here. CAPITALS CAPITALS ASSUMPTIONS ETC Yes, they know comic books exist, but ask some people that aren't fans "What comics titles do you think are in such and such store" and they'll either say, "Batman and Superman" or "I don't know."
I think everyone knows how basic marketing works, and you'd do yourself a massive favour by not ignoring the bulk of what I'm saying in order to act like you're giving some insider black knowledge. Hell, I keep on having to scroll down to see which bit of my post you've quoted and used as a springboard for a random tangent, that's how irrelevant most of what you're saying is.

Comics are a shrinking market... It needs much more than cross-promotion, which is largely evidenced by the way sales for titles like X-Men and Spider-Man have consistently fallen despite things like movies and Happy Meal toys. It's generally because those who've seen the movies have picked up a comic afterwards, and found it largely unrecognisable, and I think the same would happen with Transformers. Sure, it's worth a shot, anything that'd help out IDW would be great really. It didn't really help Armada's sales having pack-ins, though.
Naivite. Licensing is HUGE to a company's bottom line. It's as simple as that. Those that think otherwise, have never had a marketing class. "No reason?" It's call MONEY. That's the ONLY reason. Companies are NOT altruistic. In case you haven't figured it out, the CARTOON exists to PROMOTE THE TOYS. Which is why when whatever cartoon at the time is shuffled off to the 5am slot, people get mad, toy executives get pissed off, and I just laugh, because again Armada/Energon sucked.
Did I say licensing isn't huge? No I ****ing didn't, you ignorant fool. That's half of that quote written off as pointless dirge because you're spazzing out on words you've decided to put in my mouth.

If the cartoon exists to promote the toys, the comic exists why? Because if that's also to promote the toys, why should the toys then promote the comic?

I just meant that sales of one licensed comic book title isn't something Hasbro built their house on. Especially when those comics do not directly promote the toys. Unless Infiltration (or whatever subtitle it is by the time the thing hits the shelves) ties into neo-G1, it's only broadly promoting the Transformers name. Beast Wars, so far, doesn't even have the 10th Anniversary lines. Therefore it's not direct toy promotion, as none of them have been avaliable since about 1997-98 outside of clearance stores.

I'd actually wager that the poor sales of Armada and Energon, and the lack of any sign of a Cybertron title from IDW, is in some way linked to the comics being pretty minor on Hasbro's radar. It doesn't make much difference to the toy sales. The comic sales are a bonus to Hasbro - more money for them, fantastic, great. But they survived without a comic for five years, and they didn't go belly up inbetween DW and IDW. It's a bonus for them. An extra 10,000 copies sold a month would be good for them, but it's nothing that keeps their execs up at night.
I don't have a full advertising creative team with me in bed at the moment while I type this, but you should be able to see my point.
That you need four or five people to give you ideas? ;)

Look, basically, you seem like a great bloke who can really debate. Just try replying to what I've posted rather than the marketing dogma in your head though, okay? And don't expect everyone online to go "oh, right" and roll over just because you're employed in a certain field.
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

Nevermind. I give up. You aren't open to other viewpoints, so there is no point responding again.
Angelophile
Protoform

Post by Angelophile »

Originally posted by Denyer

It's a drop of 12,000 though, which is 25% (ish) of the readership and down to Dreamwave levels.

However, when Dreamwave were on the 30,000 mark for their ongoings, they only had one cover.

How many did IDW's issue 2 have? Six?

Given the amount of completist collectors bumping up this figure, that looks pretty disappointing to me.

Still bette than most IDW stuff but I suspect they pay less for the licensing of Angel and CSi than they paid Hasbro.
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Nevermind. I give up. You aren't open to other viewpoints, so there is no point responding again.

Wow.
Ford DeceptiFocus, (clever) You are not open to other viewpoints, such as Cliffjumper's, who, in actuality, is correct anyway. And what's with this crap about the average teen growing up on Armada/Energon/Cybertron? The average teen is seven years old to you? I'm 14 and I grew up with G2 and Beast Wars. I plan on buying the new Beast Wars comic. I plan on buying the new G1 series as well. Quit with the generalizations.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Because I'm the one stomping out of a topic like a spoilt little girl because someone doesn't just accept what I say. You coulda been a contender.

I really don't think, if the numbers stabilise, IDW are in trouble. I think DW probably gave a little too much weight to the license cost being prohibitive, or I don't think small companies would even think of taking it on. The title could surive nicely if it stays at that level.

Of course, it does, as you say, depend on whether the multiple covers are significantly inflating the figures. If, say, 25% of the sales are to the same customers and they then stop having the inclination or money to buy several copies of the same comic, well, that wouldn't be good at all :(
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

Originally posted by tahukanuva
Wow.
Ford DeceptiFocus, (clever)

Thanks. It's after my car, which has a Decepticon symbol on its hood and next to my license plate in the back.

And what's with this crap about the average teen growing up on Armada/Energon/Cybertron? The average teen is seven years old to you? I'm 14 and I grew up with G2 and Beast Wars. I plan on buying the new Beast Wars comic. I plan on buying the new G1 series as well. Quit with the generalizations.

Armada/Energon/Cybertron has been on roughly 4-5 years. ROUGHLY. If you're 14, subtract 4-5 from that and you're going to get 9-10. Hence, you grew up on this cartoon as your "current" Transformers program on the air. I should also say that I probably should have said "young teens" have grown up on the Armada/Energon/Cybertron-verse, whereas, yes, you are correct, "older teens" were raised first on Beast Wars. I'm not saying younger people don't discover the older cartoons--many do, and I'm glad that they do--what I was getting at is that since most fans seem to think that Beast Wars was the best cartoon, I was a little surprised that it didn't have the biggest readership. Also, I am only referring to the United States, as my knowledge of releases dates, etc. in Europe & Japan is minimal at best.
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Armada/Energon/Cybertron has been on roughly 4-5 years. ROUGHLY. If you're 14, subtract 4-5 from that and you're going to get 9-10. Hence, you grew up on this cartoon as your "current" Transformers program on the air. I should also say that I probably should have said "young teens" have grown up on the Armada/Energon/Cybertron-verse, whereas, yes, you are correct, "older teens" were raised first on Beast Wars.

Armada/Energon/Cybertron has been going on three years, not 4-5. 5-12 is when most people usually stop watching Nick-jr to when thay stop watching children's cartoons. So I grew up with Beast Wars-Armada, though I still watch Transformers now.
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

Armada/Energon/Cybertron has been going on three years, not 4-5. 5-12 is when most people usually stop watching Nick-jr to when thay stop watching children's cartoons. So I grew up with Beast Wars-Armada, though I still watch Transformers now.

Let's just compromise and say nearly 4--according to this site, the first toys from Armada emerged July 2002

http://www.tfarchive.com/toys/checklist ... legend.php

But you're not going to convince me that 10-12 year olds are watching Blue's Clue's or Dora the Explorer on Nick Jr. LOL. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant kids start watching cartoons about 5 years old...but even then, kids usually start younger than that.
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

Personally I don't think an Alternator comic would work that well. The toys are excellent and all but the idea that a few car companies who have been building cars for a maximum of approximately 100 years or so can do a better job than a race of transforming robots who've been around for a minimum of 4 Million years doesn't really fly with me.

It would be like a Ford Exec going

"you know who would be perfect to design our new car, that tribe of Natives on the Amazon who haven't had contact with civilisation."

Although it might explain the Fiat Multipla which is probably modelled after some kind of squashed frog
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

Originally posted by optimusskids
Personally I don't think an Alternator comic would work that well. The toys are excellent and all but the idea that a few car companies who have been building cars for a maximum of approximately 100 years or so can do a better job than a race of transforming robots who've been around for a minimum of 4 Million years doesn't really fly with me.

It would be like a Ford Exec going

"you know who would be perfect to design our new car, that tribe of Natives on the Amazon who haven't had contact with civilisation."

Although it might explain the Fiat Multipla which is probably modelled after some kind of squashed frog

:laugh: That made me laugh so hard. I like the little short stories that that one guy that submits to Binaltech has been producing. I just wish I could have more of those and longer. But I DO see your point.