<Hub-Security> This hub is currently full!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Gohzt!
Protoform

Post by Gohzt! »

I couldn't believe it!! Image
I logged off to reboot my system and when I returned to TFArchive's Den this is what I found!

<Client> Connecting To tfarchivedc.dyn.dhs.org:411
<Client> Disconnected From Hub Image

Aghhh! Image LET ME BACK IN!

From an average of 14 users to this in the space of a few months!

WOW!! Image
________
yamaha y125z specifications
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

are you really surprised that....

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

..that has happened now that we've actually started advertising the place on the main site.

People should stop by there more often.....:rolleyes:
Strafe

Post by Strafe »

Originally posted by StoneCold Skywarp

People should stop by there more often.....:rolleyes:
You mean you guys actually have a web site as well as a board!?!?

:eek:

:p ;)
Strafe. You're a dick. Ishin_ookami - Dec 1st 2003
Lomar4976
Protoform

Post by Lomar4976 »

** Enter Rant Mode **

Its all the current influx of DC++ users - They have an infinite number of connections to hubs, many of them if you look at are connected in over 60-80 hubs with only 2-3 open slots.

Now you can imagine how hard it is to get a slot at the best of times when there were only 35 members in the hub - now multiply that by three, with around 2/3 of those people looking to leech files (i.e. no sharing at all - how can you share if youve got a potential of 2,000 people wanting to look at your files with only 2 open slots.)

Personally we need a ruling where you must have a slots ratio of at least 0.5 (i.e. 1 slot per 2 hubs) and a maximum of 10 hubs at once to DC++ users, and operators who can enforce these rules, or else those people who have been in the hub since it started and have helped it grow cant help the community.

Every hub out there has these rules, and unless we take a hard line (I dont want to see DC++ users completely isolated) then many of the current users will be forced out by those people who connect to every hub under the sun to get one or two files, then sit around all day doing nothing but leech from people.

Unless the hub space is massively increased (115 users is the current limit I think) then we will find more and more of the 'less hardcore' users being forced off the system, simply because they cant get in due to the leechers blocking the doors (basically....)
[UK-ADSL]Lomar4976 from TFArchive's Direct Connect Hub

Come join us at DC Hub: tfarchivedc.dyn.dhs.org
RoadRunnerClone
Protoform

Post by RoadRunnerClone »

Okay...What is a hub? Is it something that can be burned?

-Satan's Little Helper
Lomar4976
Protoform

Post by Lomar4976 »

The hub thats being discussed is TFArchive's own little section in cyberspace - Using a filesharing program called direct connect - each users's server is called a hub. Its taken off as the major way of sharing transformers episodes (among many other different types of files)

If you think of napster, its sort of like that, but with much more community spirit invoved (it has chatrooms and all sorts of other little bits and pieces)

HyPeR_Aj
Protoform

Post by HyPeR_Aj »

I think the hub size really need to be made bigger.

A way of fixing the DC++ people is by banning it. I have seen this done to many other hubs and is a great success in helping slots get freed up.

It may seem a bit harsh but the real direct connect is a free download program anyway so if they want to use the hub they can download it.

If that seems a bit harsh you can impose a minimum number of slots and a minimum share. I'd say at least 2gig shared is fair maybe even more.
Gohzt!
Protoform

Post by Gohzt! »

Originally posted by Lomar4976
** Enter Rant Mode **

Personally we need a ruling where you must have a slots ratio of at least 0.5 (i.e. 1 slot per 2 hubs) and a maximum of 10 hubs at once to DC++ users, and operators who can enforce these rules, or else those people who have been in the hub since it started and have helped it grow cant help the community.

Unless the hub space is massively increased (115 users is the current limit I think) then we will find more and more of the 'less hardcore' users being forced off the system, simply because they cant get in due to the leechers blocking the doors (basically....)

I completely agree with all the above Lomar and I didn't know that stuff about DC++!! :(

I do think that a minimum share of 2GB is bit harsh as some of us have small hard drives & if you're just starting out your TF collection you'll just have to go back to hammering the main site servers!
________
toyota avanza history
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

As far as it goes, I have everything I want so far, but I was connected because I wanted to share my files, but then my computer froze, and I can't get back on.

It's not really my problem because Armada isn't out yet, but I got so much of my video files from TF Archive, I feel obligated to share it on the HUB.
BlueBlaster
Protoform

Post by BlueBlaster »

This is a disaster!
I want to complete the Master Force/Victory/Beast Wars collection, but it's full all the time.
Hey, comics fans!
Visit www.fanboyradio.com . It's the weekly radio show about comics. Joe Quesada,Larry Hama,Brian Michael Bendis,Greg Rucka,Mark Waid and many other comics creators have appeared on the show.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Strafe
You mean you guys actually have a web site as well as a board!?!?
Here's an easy one for young children and English students like myself: Spot the irony.
Houbatron
Protoform

Post by Houbatron »

Originally posted by HyPeR_Aj

I'd say at least 2gig shared is fair maybe even more.
Fair? That means that I have to share everything on my laptop except for Windows, also meaning my entire harddisk should be filled with files to share, making the entire purpose of running the program to download files useless as there's no free diskspace to store anything to. ;)
Maybe most people do have a large harddisk these days, but many do not, myself included.
Grandizer
Protoform

Post by Grandizer »

I'll confess a bit of ignorance about the whole deal. why not just start a new hub? does it cost money to?
also, what is DC++? is it a version you pay for that has more features?
TFArchive
Custom Title: King Lurker

Post by TFArchive »

I upped the user limit to 500 (max for the hub software) if we hit that then we are in trouble.

I would like to implement some of the things suggested but I don't know how :( I will try and find out more info though.
--
Brendan Reilly
The Transformers Archive
http://tfarchive.com/
Gohzt!
Protoform

Thanks TFArchive...

Post by Gohzt! »

....that's welcoming news!!! :)

It's a bit of a downer when those of us who've been supporting the hub for a long time can no longer enter because of the huge influx of Cable & DSL users with very few slots open & sharing virtually no TF's! :(

What's the point in having TFArchive's Den if hardly anyone there are TF fans, sharing TF eps??

I do have to say that Lomar4976 has some good ideas/suggestions on the subject.
________
washington medical marijuana dispensary
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I'm once again up, sharing all my G1 and RID episodes. I don't have the beast series on my computer at the moment, as I'm getting ready to reformat soon.
Lomar4976
Protoform

Post by Lomar4976 »

Originally posted by Grandizer
I'll confess a bit of ignorance about the whole deal. why not just start a new hub? does it cost money to?
also, what is DC++? is it a version you pay for that has more features?
DC++ is an open source C++ code of the direct connect client produced by a third party source. Because it is open code (they also produce a compiled version for anyone who just want to use the software) it is open to change, and many strange features have developed with it over the years - some features include being able to log into as many hubs as you want simultaneously while keeping as few slots open, and only limiting people to share from you if they can maintain a decent connection (if your connection drops below a set value, say 5k/s then the client can cut you off.)

A more worrying change is that it can allow people with enough knowledge to modify the client to be able to fake their fileshare lists, meaning people could appear to be sharing 50 gig of files when they could only have 20-30k (this definately isnt in the main program, but anyone with c++ knowlegde can add a section to the code.)

and @ TFA - Thanks - I dont know much about Visual Basic Myself, but thats the programming language for scripts. Id assume operators are set within the hub setup software, but as Ive never done anything like this myself, I dont have a clue how if its not immediately obvious.