Upcoming 2010/2011 Releases

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Upcoming 2010/2011 Releases

Post by Thunderwave »

So, I've been puttering around the internet and pondering what's upcoming. Over the last year we've seen a lot of lesser known characters get some love in toy form. We've had Bludgeon/Banzai-Tron, Darkmount (Straxus), Seaspray, Powerglide, Huffer, and so on so far. We've got Wreck-Gar, Mindset, and Skullgrin coming up in the near future, as well as hints of a new Kup figure.

Makes you wonder who is coming out next. They obviously aren't afraid of digging into TF comic lore to give old non-toy characters toys finally ala Darkmount and Mindset, as well as giving Pretenders characters another go round albeit without the shells.

What are your thoughts and who do you want to see them redo?

Me, I want the rest of The Wreckers and Mayhem Attack Squad done. Now that would be sweet.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Thunderwave wrote:Me, I want the rest of The Wreckers and Mayhem Attack Squad done.
Give me Spinister or give me death! They used the name for the Movie line, so at least we know they haven't forgotten who he is. I have a few other favourites I'd like to see get new toys too (Skydive, Crosshairs, Artfire, Grotusque, Skullcruncher, Squeezeplay, etc...) but I don't really expect many of those to happen. It'd be nice, though.

It would be nice to see them do something with the three 'big name' Decepticons who haven't gotten new toys yet -- Soundwave, Shockwave and Scorponok. All three are popular characters and all three were used frequently in the recent lines, so there's no reason why they haven't shown up yet other than Hasbro not being sure what to do with them. All three of them would pose challenges (Soundwave is obsolete, Shockwave might run afoul of 'toy gun' laws and Scorponok's robot mode would be hard to pull off without making his alt-mode a brick) and it's easy to understand why we haven't seen them yet, but IMO the Classics-style lines will always have a gaping hole until these three show up. I could say the same about a proper Ultra Magnus that's more than a boring white Optimus redeco.

I'd be really happy to see some more Dinobots. Snarl is my favourite but I'd be ecstatic to have new toys of any of them, really. The same goes for the Insecticons. They're a very popular sub-group, and I'm surprised we haven't seen at least one of them so far. I know the weird robo-insect alt-modes are going to be hard to translate into bigger, more complex modern toys, but I'm surprised they haven't at least tried it yet.

In general, I think it would be nice if at least one member of each subgroup got a new toy eventually. I realize it'll take some time for that to happen, but eventually they'll run out of Autobot cars and Seekers and they'll need something to fill the line with if it keeps going.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Warcry wrote:Give me Spinister or give me death! They used the name for the Movie line, so at least we know they haven't forgotten who he is. I have a few other favourites I'd like to see get new toys too (Skydive, Crosshairs, Artfire, Grotusque, Skullcruncher, Squeezeplay, etc...) but I don't really expect many of those to happen. It'd be nice, though.
Octopunch! I just love that name.

Seriously though there are a lot of characters that could use some time out again.
Warcry wrote: Soundwave, Shockwave and Scorponok. ... I could say the same about a proper Ultra Magnus that's more than a boring white Optimus redeco.
Soundwave has gotten a bit of love recently. They did do a re-release for his original toy and he's got a WFC toy out now. Plus he's got one in last movie line which I'll assume will carry to the next one.

Shockwave would be awesome. I'd be happy if they went the Megatron/Galvatron route and made him into a tank. Just as long as it's not a bellyflopper (H-Tank) like his Animated release. Although I am curious to see what they do with him in the next Live Action movie.

Scorpinok is a character I have a love/hate relationship with. Personally if they want to do him right, they need to make him a Supreme Class toy like Unicron and do a limited release around X-Mas. Pack him and Metroplex together in the same case and they'll make lots of people happy.

Magnus is another one of those toys I'd love to get, but I don't want/need a plain white Optimus. I want his armor darn-it, or at least something that looks like it when your done. I could care less if I can get to the robot "inside". Make him a Voyager in HFTD for all I care. They obviously have no problem doing classics style toys in that subline. I present Seaspray as proof enough for that.
Warcry wrote:In general, I think it would be nice if at least one member of each subgroup got a new toy eventually. I realize it'll take some time for that to happen, but eventually they'll run out of Autobot cars and Seekers and they'll need something to fill the line with if it keeps going.
They've been sticking new molds for new (old?) characters out there with more on the way. Wreck-Gar, Perceptor, Straxus are a start. Tracks is a car, yes, but when was the last time they had a toy of him outside of Alternators? I'm okay with some of the old Autobot cars getting some time on pegs finally. Plus they are apparently using HFTD to get some larger molds out of classic characters while keeping Generations Deluxe sized only. From a retail standpoint I can understand that decision and am okay with it as long as every now and again they throw another Voyager classic character our way. ;)
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

A Fort Max, would be as insane as great!