[Prime] SE03EP12 Synthesis

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Skyquake87
Protoform

[Prime] SE03EP12 Synthesis

Post by Skyquake87 »

And so Transformers: Prime sleep walks towards the finale. Nice character scenes with Ratchet, Shockwave and Knock Out in the lab as Ratchet does his best to makes his escape and warn the Autobots (which he does). Megatron's plan to refurbish Cybertron gets oddly moved to one side as he moves towrds Cyberforming Earth for some needless jeopardy. Elsewhere, Predaking learns of the demise of his Predacon brethern only to be shot by Megatron. Then there's a stoic speech by Optimus as the Autobots walk in slow motion to a ground bridge to hop aboard the Decepticon craft to take it out of commission. Overall, it's quite a packed and busy episode. But it feels very lethargic in the way it gets to where its going. Strange.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I'm actually liking how Transformers Prime is going to end. I'm not going so far as to say that it's lethargic. It's still a pretty good series of episodes, just... well, not quite exciting enough compared to what we saw Transformers Prime can do. And it really gives a messy impression, especially compared to the stronger buildups we've gotten for the season one and two finale.

For one, the stakes aren't really that high. Sure, the Decepticons are going to destroy Earth and shit with the reconstructed Omega Lock, but no one probably believes that's ever going to happen. Compared to the season one and two finales, the first which featured a great and unique take on Unicron, and the latter featuring an all-out battle on Cybertron... this kind of seems much tamer and less finale-worthy by comparison.

Personally my problem is that Predaking is so prominent and his eventual defection against the Decepticons being so obvious. Makes you wonder why all the buildup for it being a beast is for if his characterization is going to be so simple. And we kind of discarded Dreadwing (who I've said elsewhere has basically the same character arc as Predaking, albeit his enemy is Starscream instead of Megatron. Also aborted in a stupid way), Silas Breakdown, and the entertaining third-party Starscream for this? It doesn't really seem to be that much of a trade-off to me.

Starscream is another one that bugs me. He's now suddenly loyal and submissive again? It's kind of stupid considering all the shit he went through, it's just another return to the status quo.

And while I actually appreciate the kids being used less... I really don't appreciate the fact that Arcee, probably the main character of season one, being relegated to 'Autobot firing squad' duties. Bumblebee too, but then he was never much of a main character to being with. Bulkhead and Wheeljack get a lot more screentime, being Wreckers and all, and Ultra Magnus is a new guy so he gets screentime, but Arcee, Bumblebee and to a lesser extent Smokescreen (but then he's everywhere in season two) have gotten a lot less screentime.
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

Yeah, I realized that with this episode too that I haven't seen a whole lot of Arcee except for in the beginning of this season where she had to keep Jack safe. That's a shame really because I really like that character. Probably the first incarnation of Arcee that I actually don't find annoying.
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I hate the side lining of characters. Its one of the few things that still bugs me about Beast Wars, with the majority of the Maximals tucked up in the Ark just waiting for the end. Rubbish.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

The entire premise of last season's end, with the Autobots and kids split up and on the run, Ratchet completely demoralized and the Decepticons basically having free rein is a completely missed opportunity, since the entire concept is glossed over in favour of introducing Ultra Magnus (which isn't bad itself) and the silly Optimus/Smokescreen bait and switch.