General IDWverse *SPOILER* discussion

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
inflatable dalek

General IDWverse *SPOILER* discussion

Post by inflatable dalek »

Mod note: if you're not up-to-date on your reading and want to remain spoiler-free, this isn't the thread for you. Feel free to start a new thread in this forum and it'll be merged only after the question(s) have been answered and conversation has run its course. :)

Well, we've now had our first full year of IDW's Formies output, with...errr twentyish new comics, a fair few reprints and the demonspawn that is the Movie adaption.

So are we all liking it so far? What've then done well? What have they buggered up and what do we want in 2007?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I enjoyed Infiltration, though I think if it could've been stage-managed that way, three double size issues would've reduced a lot of the frustrations people had with it. There were problems either with deadlines or the colouring work, but I felt it captured the "robots in disguise" storyline it was aiming for and am glad that a mainly non-explosions arc was given chance in the most appropriate place.

First three spotlights I've thoroughly enjoyed, ditto Escalation so far. Stormbringer was put together very competently, and gave us the "stuff on other planets" to back Infiltration up, but its main plot points were supporting -- i.e. that Cybertron's uninhabitable in this continuity, super energon -- rather than dramatically moving the story forwards.

Beast Wars left me rather cold with the time travel and phasing plot devices, plus a lot of characters stuffed in... felt a bit like the Dreamwave BW plot outline with some stuff cut out. Beautiful visuals.

Hearts of Steel was fun. Doesn't leave me eagerly anticipating further Evolutions stories, and my main interest is core continuity, but it didn't annoy me to the extent it seems to have some others. Different expectations?

Generations has yet to reprint anything that interests me. Whilst the upcoming Target: 2006 is a good pick for most Americans who won't have read it, I do hope things move forward to reprint genuinely rare material that would get people excited about the title.

I think there's still time to salvage the Animated Movie comic for those not satisfied with a straightforward adaptation: do a single (possibly double size) Evolutions book that fills in the gap between the end of the show second season and the movie...

Personally I'd probably go with the following points...

- first-person narrative "how did it all change so quickly?" (possibly by Prime? whilst on a moonbase waiting for things to be ready?)
- flashback to war on Earth intensifying, some major casualties on both sides (Aerialbots, Stunticons, etc. stasis-locked and stacked in life support pods.)
- flashback: an energy source discovered by Shockwave ends the fuel crisis; the Decepticons abandon Earth and strengthen their grip on Cybertron. The Autobots prove their peaceful intentions to Earth's governments and give the appearance of building and fortifying Autobot City in case the Decepticons return.
- flashback: the Autobots track a distress signal to the edge of the galaxy... hey look, it's Magnus, Kup, Springer and everyone else. With this sudden increased manpower, they're also able to covertly establish production facilities on Cybertron's moons.
- end first-person narrative
- back to present: the Decepticons have been keeping tabs for some time, waiting for the best moment to strike.

I love the fact IDW put themselves out there as people rather than a company front, and they've done a good job of drip-feeding news, new artwork and announcements so that there's always something added to check back for.

I think they may have underestimated how confusing the multiple titles and multiple numbering issue is for the average punter who's standing in a comics shop looking at the racks and trying to work out what books they should pick up. That's something I'd like to see worked on in 2007. Fan sites are all very well, but only a fraction of the possible audience is checking out that sort of stuff.

The prospect of more Spotlights and a TMUK bod writing as well as drawing one has me excited for next year, and I'm interested to see what IDW will make of the movie universe in the prequel (probably shan't bother picking up the new movie adaptation itself, but the prequel is an additional part of the story.)

Overall I'm very happy -- the company take a spread of ideas on board whilst still sticking to their guns, and are prepared to try new things.
inflatable dalek

I hadn't heard generations was doing T:2006 (slightly to late for it to be topical...). Whilst it's very much the obvious choice to start UK reprints with I'm suprised they're going to give over half the years issues to one story (unless they're doing more than two parts an issue?). Hopefully it'll give sales a huge boost and we'll see lots of the unreprinted UK stuff in there as well.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

I liked Infiltration and didn't mind the slow approach. For a long while I felt like I'm reading something genuinely new stuff. Feeling I've missed after Dreamwave's Armada comic.

To be honest Stormbringer didn't catch my interest. Some nice ideas/concepts but I hated the "mindless über-powerful threat".

First two Spotlights were good, but Hot Rod one was too predictable. Judging by what I've seen of Sixshot and Ultra Magnus from previews my expectations are quite low for those issues.

Eagerly waiting for my Escalation issues to arrive. I've tried to avoid spoilers, but the general feel I've had is that it's improvement from Infiltration.

Beast Wars was a slight disappointment. I didn't mind non-show characters getting spotlight, but the mini-series was crammed too full of characters. About the only characters that got more exposure were Razorbeast and Magmatron and of those Magmatron is gone. Little continuity errors bugged me as well (for example transmetal2 figures appearing before transmetal2 driver was introduced). Nice visuals, but I'd have appreciated a little less bright colours. Felt like I was reading a comic meant for kids.

Hearts of Steel was a big disappointement for me. 'What if' stories were something I was most interested, but the writing felt like unfinished draft. Replacement artist in issue 3 didn't help either.

Skipped movie issues as I saw no point in the mini-series.

Picked the Generations issues reprinting Blaster & co. vs. Straxus story, which wasn't printed in Finnish version. Unless IDW reprints UK material I don't have, I'm not getting it.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Is Escalation out? Might have to get that at some point.
Cliffjumper

Now with actual content...

Post by Cliffjumper »

I like what IDW are trying to do with the main book, but on what I've read I haven't been blown away by how they've done it... Infiltration has some great ideas, but is pretty badly scripted for a monthly (well, give or take) series... it'll probably read a bit better as a TPB, but a) so did The Prime Directive and b) I wasn't buying a ****ing TPB.

Stormbringer I enjoyed much more. OTT and slightly cheesy, but it actually had something approaching a consistent pace, rather than Infiltration's point-and-squirt approach.

The two Spotlights I've bothered reading have been pretty good as well, showing that they'd probably be better off with shorter, well-connected but self-contained stories (a la Marvel... most Marvel issues hang together as singles or as part of the larger continuity through being interesting from either angle... I doubt I'd be as hooked picking up Infiltration #3 at random as I was in 2000 finding scans of 'Prey' at Liam K's site [my childhood memories were all but gone at this point] - think about it, Infiltration is roughly the same length as T2006 or half of the G2 run) rather than stretching stuff out so they don't need to think up a new title for the TPB...

The other titles have been largely pointless, though. I can't see the BW mini as having especially pleased anyone. Evolutions was basically pointless - overlong for something of that type, a pretty thin premise stretched to breaking point, and looking increasingly stupid left on its' own with Hearts of Steel. Generations seems equally pointless - they're reprinting inferior, common material from a random starting point. They either should have gone for the cream, or the rare stuff (c'mon Man of Iron!), especially as the book has potential for packaging isolated stories rather than picking a jump-on point.

On the other side of things, they come across as an approachable and down-to-Earth bunch, even if they lay it on a bit thick at times and the letters page is an embarassment still.
kupimus aka(clocker)
Protoform

Post by kupimus aka(clocker) »

i think idw have done a great job so far..its difficult to create something new when all the stories u could do have been done. but ive enjoyed the ongoing and the spotlights. generations probably has been a bit pointless so far and the movie ap is a wasted opputunity. i liked beast wars and evolutions though
Let this be thy final lesson monster, no man is e'er defeated till his last breath is drawn! And e'en THEN, 'tis most unwise for the victor to assume the battle is ended, for with god and man, a war is ne'er over till the ultimate wrong is set aright and the final villain is DONE!
Krypto
Protoform

Post by Krypto »

Oh - first post - hello all!

I've thought IDW have had a cracker of a year, with something for everyone, improving content, a tight main universe with a few bits and pieces outside that, a solid team setup for the movie prelude and adaptation, rolling along nicely. Probably the most consistent quality TF wise since G2.

Also, I can't believe "Man of Iron" is rare. It was reprinted in the US and in several UK issues, its far from the rarest UK only story! The Annual strips and stories are easily the rarest.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I suppose my one real complaint is that I'd like a little more variety in the authors. Furman's writing almost everything, and while he's typically good, it wouldn't hurt to bring in some other people for fresh ideas.

Infiltration: Didn't really dig it at the time since all I wanted was robots and all I got was psycho emo bitch. Rereading it all at once after other Transformers books were out, giving me the robot fix I needed, I appreciated the pacing of the story a bit better. Still don't love the arc and I still loathe Verity.

Stormbringer: Loved the art and the Pretenders, the ending was typical Furman, though. "Hey, I guess Thunderwing wasn't so tough after all apparently.". Pretty art, though.

Spotlight: The best of IDW's stuff, so far. Pretty much what I've always want, a Transformers anthology series focusing on individual characters. Haven't been disappointed by an issue yet and I've been enjoying all the characters they've put the spotlight on. The fact that the issues have actual effects on continuity and events in other titles is icing on the cake.

Hearts of Steel: A lot of fun for what it was, I just hated the ending. It was more something to look at and chuckle with; I didn't think it ever took itself that seriously. I mean, Mark Twain beating Ravage should be proof of that.

Beast Wars the Gathering: I loved it at the time, but that's because I love Beast Wars. Looking at it from another perspective, though, it kinda sucked. Not a lot of people outside the intense Transformers fandom are gonna give a damn about all those obscure Beast Wars toys making their fiction debut, and even *I* didn't care so much because I never owned any of their toys. The only thing I really loved about it was Magmatron, thoughhe got defeated in typical Furman fashion.

Looking back, I'm enjoying IDW's offerings over Dreamwave's. I just wish they'd give others a turn at writing books beside Furman.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I suppose I'm in the minority here; IDW's output to date hasn't excited me all that much. It's a couple notches above most of the dreck that Dreamwave inflicted on us, but so far I think it's fallen short of what it could be.

Beast Wars was a wash. I certainly can't think of any other TF minis that started off so well and fell so quickly into mediocrity and beyond. The first issue promised us Magmatron and his small band of renegade Preds against Razorclaw and a handful of Maximals, but by the first page of the second issue Mags had every non-show BW Predacon under his command. None of his minions got any characterization at all, whilst Mags himself came off as a poor immitation of BW Megs. Razorbeast and his Maximals fared better, but the whole thing was undermined by Furman's utter inability to properly think through the ramifications of time travel. Not to mention the pointless additions of Grimlock and Ravage. *sigh* :(

The main continuity has worked out a lot better. IDW made a good decision in 'simplifying' the story and zeroing in on what the 'Robots in Disguise' catchphrase really means. Their take on the strategic paradigm of the Autobot/Decepticon conflict is interesting, too. But that said...none of what we've actually seen has really been all that different from previous incarnations of the G1 universe. For all it's potential, the IDWverse so far has really just been Simon Furman playing with his favourite characters (Prime, Megs, Prowl, Ratchet, Starscream, Shockwave, Grimlock, Nightbeat, Hot Rod, Bludgeon, etc...) in front of new backgrounds. He writes them well and he's made an interesting story out of it so far, but I can't shake the feeling that I've seen all of it before.

What would I like in 2007? Less focus on Furman's favourites and more page time given to a couple of Autobots or Decepticons who haven't been given serious characterization in previous continuities. It almost doesn't matter who...we've seen a few non-traditional characters pop up in promising locations already, but none of them have really done anything yet. If Searchlight, Hardhead and Banzai-Tron (for example) got promoted to permanant main character status, it would do a lot for my interest in the book.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

I'm liking IDW's main continuity's so far, though can't say I've really been blown away. The closest to that was Shockwave, which was great (fantastic Shockwave and Grimlock). The rest is average to good stuff that is worth my money. Out of two mini-series ,I liked Infiltration probably more than Stormbringer - I'm not really sold on robots kicking the crap out of each other (I mean, I like it, but that's not essential and is not the only thing I'm looking for) and am not a big fan of Figueroa. Su's art I really dig, even if some robots look a bit weird in the face departament (Sunstreaker comes to mind). I hope that Escalation will be the place where the fun really starts.

As for other series, I only read Beast Wars and didn't care for it, so I'm sticking to the main continuity, unless something really grabs my interest.

I'd happily see new writers on main series', as long as there's someone above them keeping them tight in continuity with themselves
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

One thing I forgot to add. While it's impossible to avoid spoilers (draw conclusions) from the "Escalation" covers, en the whole the cover choices seem more to my liking than with "Infiltration".

Both #1 and #2 covers seem to relate to story inside and covers are made in similar style -> after this miniseries is over I'll propably have a nice set of covers instead of mixed lot of pretty pictures (Infiltration). :)
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Overall, I'm very well-pleased with IDW's take on The Transformers and I'm excited to see where they're going. (Though, it hasn't gotten me down to the store to pick up Escalation #2 and Six-Shot yet. Soon...)

I've liked all of their main continuity titles. Wasn't interested enough in Beast Wars in general, and all unknowns in particular, to pick that title up; and didn't really like what I saw of Hearts of Steel. I have found some stuff of worth in the TF Animated Movie adaptation... Generations has been largely a waste to date - when some of the worst TF comics ever have been among the reprints, that's not a good sign. (Maybe they were going for the most infamous issues?) It IS very good that they're going to UK material next; though, as I have the Target:2006 TPB, I'm not sure if I'll be picking up those issues, myself.

Personally, besides possibly the odd one-shot (as we are getting), I don't want to see anyone else writing this. I don't trust anyone but Furman to handle this new continuity he's establishing.
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Is Escalation out? Might have to get that at some point.

Good to see my reviews have shaken the online community to it's core once more...

I'm hoping that the next BW mini will very quickly pass the end of the TV show so we no longer have to worry why the two sides don't just team up anymore (and Furman will have to come up with a damn good reason why the new Maximals would just sit about watching when Megatron looks likely to win the War with the Nemesis).

I'd also agree with LKW that having Furman write the main continuity books is probably the best bet- It avoids what happened at Dreamwave where the various writters contradicted themselves all over the place. Though there's no reason not to have new blood in the odd Spotlight of Evolutions...
Sir Auros

If you're not reading the current IDW comics...

Post by Sir Auros »

...I am going to ask that you rescind your Transformers fan card and will ban you permanently.*

*Or until you start reading the current books (ok, you can ignore the reprints) and bask in the fresh familiarity and/or creativity.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Um, shouldn't this go in the comics forum?

/ducks for cover
Hound

Post by Hound »

Yeah, shouldn't this go in the TF comics forum?

Don't look at me, I'm not moving it. That takes like 5 mouse clicks, you know how much porn I could be looking at with 5 mouse clicks?
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Originally posted by Hound
Yeah, shouldn't this go in the TF comics forum?
And if it went there how would those people who don't read the comics hence probably not even visit that forum heard about the new Auros' law? C'mon, it's obvious. How did you get the mod job again? ;)
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I've got a pile of them that I haven't read yet. I'll get there in the end, though.

And the fact that I've not read them yet means I'm avoiding the comics forum. Perfectly illustrating:

a) Auros' logic
b) Hound's stupidity

[/is off to find that howned picture and bookmark it for future use]
inflatable dalek

I am reading the comic, but do not have a fan card. From where do I get it?

And the card.