Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Issue 1 is due out on February 15th.

Previews here: http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/preview ... egathering

Click the cover below for a twelve-page preview of #1 at the IDW forums:

Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

Having just read 'Infiltration' #2 and the subsequent BW preview in the back, I'm actually more excited about 'BW' than 'Infiltration'!

As a new convert and BW noob it's all still fresh to me and isn't something I've seen before, can't wait really and the art looks spiffy.

"Maximals go!"
ravimus prime
Protoform

Post by ravimus prime »

Just got 1#. Thought it was great. Good story to it. Possible SPOILER too someone. It should be good when they search for Ravages ship. Can see this going places. Love to see a wrecker story from these people.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Got it today, enjoyed it. Though this is to some degree suffering from "too many new characters introduced in one issue" syndrome. For once, everyone fererring to each other by name is NOT unwelcome. Though I'd have liked to know which names Furman had come up with for Lio Convoy and Big Convoy.

Art is enjoyable, I like the design similarities and differences between Cybertronian and beast modes. Subtle and yet quite well-done.

Josh's colors are nice as well. Flashback coloring was particularly neat. :)
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Originally posted by Nevermore
Though I'd have liked to know which names Furman had come up with for Lio Convoy and Big Convoy.
Crap! I saw Lio Convoy, I did not see Big Convoy. I'll have to look again.

It was always my impression that Optimus Primal was not actually a Prime (although his Japanese name is Beast Convoy, isn't it?). So, when I saw Lio Convoy in the mag, I thought, "Ah, okay, that must be the real leader of the Maximals...he's the Prime." But, if Big Convoy is there too...then I'm really confused...especially if Optimus Primal is a Prime as well.

Well, the comic has potential...it'll be even better, though, if it ties back with Cybertron more than the original did. The more ties this story has with the original Beast Wars and G1 the cooler it will be, I think. I look forward to seeing where this goes.

For those who have seen and can understand the Beast Wars shows that continued in Japanese after the US series ended, does this comic story have anything to do with those stories beyond just using some of the characters?
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Though I'd have liked to know which names Furman had come up with for Lio Convoy and Big Convoy.

I'd say Lio Prime actually sounds fairly decent, and as for the other... Errrr, Biggus Prime? No?

Anyways, as those of who who follow my fantasticly exciting and sexy posts will recall I recently complained that Furman's DH3 work to date lacked zing... Well this comic was fully zinged up. A fast fun read that may well be Furman idulging in all the things he's deliberately denied himself in Inflitration but doesn't suffer from it.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Yeah with a steller (And I must say quite spiffy) new cast of Transformers there's nothing holding him back (aside from the general comic book barriers). Plus (Imagine me as a 30 year old woman in relation to a baby) I just love Drillbit to bits, wooga booga woo
-Alex???
inflatable dalek

I thought the issue ended in a interesting way as well- Despite his hyperbole the cliffhanger is effectively Magmatron (the baddy) suffering a major setback, rather than the usual thing of the hero's being in jepody...
eternalshades
Protoform

Post by eternalshades »

It needs the whoswho pics to identify those playing like they sorta do in g1.

So far it's a good way to tell another story in the beast wars time line.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Got it today, enjoyed it. Though this is to some degree suffering from "too many new characters introduced in one issue" syndrome. For once, everyone fererring to each other by name is NOT unwelcome.

Indeed Nevermore, I Aardvark, am getting horrid flashbacks to some of the dialogue bogged down by name references in the G1 comics.
-Alex???
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
In Japan, Optimus Primal (Beast Convoy, though mostly just called Convoy) was a "Prime" (or Convoy, their equivalent) and even has a Matrix in his chest.
He does? So why is it that the only toy to come with a Matrix is Big Convoy?
Originally posted by Inflatable Dalek
I'd say Lio Prime actually sounds fairly decent, and as for the other... Errrr, Biggus Prime? No?
What about Maximus Prime for Big Convoy? And I like Lionus Prime for Lio Convoy (although that sounds like a female name). Lional Prime? Lionimus Prime? What about the character Ginrai? Couldn't one of these be his Beast Wars equivilant? Has Ginrai ever been given an English name? (how do you all say that anyway? Is it "g" hard or soft?)
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Brimstone
Has Ginrai ever been given an English name?

Nope. The Western counterpart to the Ginrai toy is Powermaster Optimus Prime. The Ginrai character doesn't exist in Western continuity.

However, the name Ginrai was used for the Nebulan companion of the Powermaster Optimus Prime reissue toy, instead of "HiQ", which might have probably been unavailable.
(how do you all say that anyway? Is it "g" hard or soft?)

I think the "official" romanization by Takara (as well as Hirofumi Ichikawa) these days is "Jinrai" rather than "Ginrai", which should give you a hint.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

I think the "official" romanization by Takara (as well as Hirofumi Ichikawa) these days is "Jinrai" rather than "Ginrai", which should give you a hint.
That it does. Thanks!
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

ravimus prime
Protoform

Post by ravimus prime »

What about "optimus major" for big convoy? Or "optimus lion" for lio convoy? What if they inherit the optimus instead of prime?
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by ravimus prime
What about "optimus major" for big convoy? Or "optimus lion" for lio convoy? What if they inherit the optimus instead of prime?

But Prime is a rank rather than a name, hence them all having it. Mayhaps Primal is a lower rank? Somthing equiverlent to Captain?
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

Well in some ways I'm priveliged, my BW#1 came today and this is my first experince with the continuity beyond idly reading the D&K 'Ultimate Guide'.

When I first caught sight of BW toys I scoffed in indignation at the sheer lunacy of transformers as animals. I have never seen the BW show and my toy experience with BW is also nil.

I loved it.

Far more pace and action than 'Infiltration', understandable considering the radically different approach to the storylines, open war versus subterfuge etc. Also with no offence to Su's work on 'Infiltration', it's fabulous to see Figueroa back drawing TFs again, despite DWs numerous shortcomings it was Fig's artwork that re-awakened my love for TFs and got me into comics again.

I agree with Dalek that Furman seems to be preparing us for one of his trademark epic battle story lines as he appears to have free reign to go to town on 'BW' away from the restrained 'Infiltration'. I'm grateful for the names presented in the first issue and the wide scope of characters used. Mostly as I have no idea who anybody is, so I think I may be the target audience as far as #1 is concerned and I'm currently lapping it up.

The Cybertron flashbacks gave me something familiar to hang on to as well. Good stuff that I'm seriously enjoying against my own youthful prejudices.

Ace!
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
But Prime is a rank rather than a name, hence them all having it. Mayhaps Primal is a lower rank? Somthing equiverlent to Captain?
Well, according to Simon Furman and the Ultimate Guide to Transformers, Optimus Primal is not a Prime and does not have a Matrix. That might change after becoming Optimal Optimus, but he doesn't go into that.

Second...I'm not sure how canon that guide is. But, that's Furman's take on it.

As for names, I forgot about another English name that hasn't been used yet that could be used for Big Convoy, Omega Prime.

As for Lio Convoy...what about Ravenous Prime?
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »