What tf toy gimmick/feature do you dislike the most?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
chimung
Protoform

What tf toy gimmick/feature do you dislike the most?

Post by chimung »

Mine is the whole, 'Beast mode's tail becomes an ugly as sin weapon' feature. there are SELDOM exceptions however, but mostly they blow.
Here are a couple examples.
TM 2 Meg's tail turns into some bizzare extendo scissors.
BM Rattrap's tail becomes what you could...with alot of imagination pass as a whip, Maybe it's a personal preference but I wouldn't want to hold a weapon that most of the time is a few inches from my ASS, specially if it's lame looking, for every beastformer I own, the tail weapon takes the fun factor down a peg or two.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Super-linking is pretty lame, if only because it interferes with the appearance of the other modes so much. Reasonable concept, but crappy execution.

Transformers that are advertised as octtuple changers with eight different alternate modes usually end up succeeding at none of them.

And, not really a gimmick per se, but toys that require fifteen extra parts to achieve a different mode. I.E. - the original combiner teams, the seekers, Metroplex, etc etc. I swear, all those loose parts bugged me even when I was a kid...

This is a great topic... it'll be neat to see what other people think didn't work. :cool:
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Minicons. By far

They are small, mostly inarticulated [with exceptions] transformers that have to be attached to certain parts of a figure to activate a gimmick. While this would work if all minicons turned into weapons and formed a backpack or something [or attach to wrists], many figures suffered terribly because of that.

Armada Sideswipe, Thrust [feels too flimsy with those wings, and turning him to a mode with no arms to spin his wings is silly], the armada seekers [to activate a sound effect], Megatron and to some extent Optimus.

Superlinking isn't as bad as many people make it. Energon Prowl is a fantastic figure that isn't hampered in any department because of that. But then we have cases of Armada Jetfire and Optimus, where a brick is formed. And Wing Saber. Toy really got the short end of the stick in order to combine with Convoy.

I really didn't like the fact that most of the deluxe transmetals did not get a gun. They all had blades, whips or daggers.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
chimung
Protoform

Post by chimung »

I also don't really car that much for the cyberkey feature, one some figures it hinders movement or makes holding thier weapon right very akward, that and some of them are molded where the gimmick is located as such.
"CYBER KEY POWER...in my ASS!!!!!!!!!"
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Combiners/Superlinking/Powerliinx- My gripe is that you can have
between 2-6 very cool single Transformers that combine into an
ulgy looking and with very limited movements.

Micromasters/Mini-Cons-Small transfomers=lost transfomers.

Actionmasters-Transformers that can't transform what an orginal concept :rolleyes:
If I wanted a G.I. Joe toy then I would've bought a G.I. Joe toy.
I don't a bunch of cheap one-button accessories that
transform into cheap looking guns.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
RIDMegsEnthusiast
Protoform

Post by RIDMegsEnthusiast »

I absolutly hated the Flashy paint schemes of G2 toys. Not only where the colors guady and somtimes eyeburning, the stickers and 'camo' style on the military vehicles only made them stand out (Hero megatrons a Purple tank with Blue treads, and the words MEGATRON RULES!" stuck on him)

I also didn't like how the Omnicons served no other purpose then as energon chip transports and weapon couriers for the bigger autobots. You just KNOW megatron would order them shot on sight. then everyone would be gunning for the poor Omnicons and Terrorcons.
Live the Generation!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Hmm, most that I dislike come under "nice idea, poor execution".

Headmasters were quite a neat idea, but most of the figures were so damn chunky and unimaginative. And the worst bit was, unlike Targetmasters and Powermasters, if you lost the Nebulan, that was that for that toy.

Mini-Cons certainly didn't work too well - and the biggest problem was the massive amount of variance across the range. There were some great little Mini-Cons such as Makeshift, Wind Sheer, Terradive, Spiral and Oval [plus the combined Perceptor], but against that you had crap like Prowl, Firebot, Highwire, Incinerator, Nightbeat, Swindle, Mirage etc.

While it wasn't a subgroup, Sideways' "two heads with legs on the back" thing also from Armada was crap.

Like Clay, I think most of the original line combiners were a bit of a pain - lots of bits that fell off, and they rarely looked all that impressive - the likes of Devastator and Superion just looked too damn fragile. It's a shame the incorporated parts used on the likes of JRX weren't feasible [presumably, though Leokaiser used the same concept for an admittedly crap result in '89] at the time.

The Jumpstarters were a decent idea [semi-automatic transformations were used to superb effect on the MW basics]
Tiki Torch
Protoform

Post by Tiki Torch »

Mini-Cons are a pain, and like Cliffjumper said, a lot of the are crap. I have to give the Cybertron Mini-Cons a hand though. Jolt and Reverb are fairly decent.

Even though it wasn't part of the question, I'd have to say the Energon weapons weren't a bad idea. They can be used by a varity of transformers and B. Ravage's Rifle has a good look to it.
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

Sound effects.

Even going back to G1 Shockwave, they always sound wimpy, or static-y, or just stupid.

Lights are okay, but the battery-fueled sound effects gotta go. :)
Bludgeon-X
Protoform

Post by Bludgeon-X »

Legs that are stuck together and the targetmasters would have been better of with a actual weapon instead of a nebulan figure that becomes a gun becuase in robot mode the nebulans couldnt do anything than bow,they couldn´t move arms or legs only waist
Dreadwing
Protoform

Post by Dreadwing »

The Beast Wars that could only tranform from one animal to another without a robot form. I always thought that was stupid.

The obsession that Armada and Energon had with combination. Everyone combines with everyone to do nothing but become bulky and ugly.