[SIG] Since my sig is in conflict

Problem? Question? Suggestion? Post it here.
Savannahtron

Since my sig is in conflict

Post by Savannahtron »

I know that my picture is adequate, but could someone tell me what code I can use to get the smaller letters like the rest of you have so my sig is not as big with the normal text.

Of note, I don't have a lengthy textual sig with a picture like some of the ppl around here, theirs are just using smaller text, and I would like to join the club.

No smartallic intellectual type responses are required. Thanks ahead of time, ahemm, cough, cough, no names mentioned here.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

yourtexthere[/SIZE ]

Dont put those spaces in.
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Thank you sooooooooo much i am going to fix it right now.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It's still approximately 400 pixels in height...look at the screengrab. Incidentally, if you can't do the text math in your head, try using MS Paint and the Print Screen key...
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Originally posted by Stuart Denyer
Incidentally, if you can't do the text math in your head, try using MS Paint and the Print Screen key...

Thanks for your Awesome insight once again, Denyer.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

What? It's a useful trick...especially if you aren't using your own PC and are working with the software Microsoft bundles into Windows...
Savannahtron ( mailto:savannahtron@yahoo.com ) has reported this post:

http://forums.tfarchive2.net/vBulletin/ ... #post89064

This is part of this thread:
Since my sig is in conflict
http://forums.tfarchive2.net/vBulletin/ ... eadid=6162

This is the reason that the user gave:
I am tired of being harassed. If Stuart has a problem with me, he
needs to keep it to himself. I am sick of his smart allec replies.

This message has been sent to all moderators of this forum, or all
administrators if there are no moderators.

Please respond to this post as applicable.
Incidentally, you do realise that this form is sent to all moderators of a given forum?

Reminding you that we have sig rules (and in the sig forum, no less) isn't harassment...and for someone who doesn't want reminders, you're making it a lot harder by not managing to find and use simple solutions.
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Yeah,
and you are violating my privacy by posting this, and I am going to report it.

I want this to stop, you have had something against me since I sided with Auros about the way you acted with Joe. I don't care what you think about me, I want you to leave me alone, and stop making sarcastic remarks about most of the posts I make.
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Originally posted by Stuart Denyer

Reminding you that we have sig rules (and in the sig forum, no less) isn't harassment...and for someone who doesn't want reminders, you're making it a lot harder by not managing to find and use simple solutions. [/B]

BTW your picture alone is 40459 which violates the 40k with text. I just thougt I would notify you, since I am not the only whose sig is not in accordance with the rules.

Don't worry, I am going to fix my sig.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Actually, 1 kilobyte = 1024 bytes, not 1000. My image = 39.51Kb.

BTW, for anyone else reading, the width requirement is only really an issue if it stretches the board out (that was my main thought when I compiled the rules which are on the entrance page...) The exact possible width limit is 496 pixels, but that tends to force a new paragraph when text is used below an image, so 475 seems sensible — that way a few more pixels isn't a problem. :)
Originally posted by Savannahtron
you are violating my privacy by posting this, and I am going to report it.
You already did. To me. Therefore I'm simply pointing out (publically) that this isn't a vendetta of any kind; I'm simply asking people to comply with the regs, and offering assistance where it seems necessary.
I want this to stop, you have had something against me since I sided with Auros about the way you acted with Joe. I don't care what you think about me, I want you to leave me alone, and stop making sarcastic remarks about most of the posts I make.
A lot of people unfortunately take this view...they jump to the conclusion that if you're sarcastic some of the time, you're probably being sarcastic the rest of it, too.
Don't worry, I am going to fix my sig.
Thanks. :)
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

8 bits to a byte, each character is 8 binary bits, you have 324 char. of text

Plus the 40459
================
39.827148 kb just under.

BTW, I think this complies fully with the regs. now.
Denyer

Yeah...

Post by Denyer »

...fair point about the text (although the regs do only state max file-size for images). Something which helps slightly in that respect is that any text is handled by the main server, whereas most images have to come in from an external connection. Except those which Brendan hosts here, of course. :)

I suppose it would be different if we allowed HTML tags, because then people could use the <OBJECT> tag to externally link quantities of text or flash animations, but fortunately we don't have that hassle any more...it's a shame we can't automatically parse HTML to only allow certain tags, really. Perhaps something to suggest to the vBB vendors...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

*facepalms*

All sorted out now, yeah?

The first post that I detect any sarcasm or snideness in is this one:
Thanks for your Awesome insight once again, Denyer.
The guy is doing his job. He's been deployed (not employed - he doesn't get paid, remember that at all times) to enforce the rules on signatures. That's all he's doing.

And I'd like an explanation as to how the hell he's violating your privacy by responding to a post made by you, on a public access board, in a forum he moderates, regarding something that it's his job to enforce.
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Ok Brendocon,

First of all, when I report it to a moderator, which those 2 were, it is not public, it is sent to the moderators.

Secondly, he was being sarcastic in the first post where I quoted him about the "text math".

I think that this has been straightened out, but I am not the only person who has said that Denyer has followed them around and done the same thing to them.

I just did not appreciate the unneccessary remarks that were snide and sarcastic, and I want them to stop. This is a public forum, and if that means that when I report something to a moderator, it will be publicly displayed, then I guess I will have to be a little more explicit when I report posts like that.

Obviously Denyer is doing his job. Up until the point about the Joe being banned issue, I thought he was a decent moderator, but since then I feel that I have been singled out, and because he has been here since the board has opened, he can get away with harassing me, and I don't have to tolerate it. Yeah I chose to come here and to post, and you have imposed a lot of little rules that you envoke as you choose to do so, but I have done nothing to Denyer, and when I report it to you, you blow it off as if it were nothing.

And to be honest with you, I was being sarcastic when I posted that in direct response to his sarcastic remark.

It is not the first time, and I ignore it mostly, but being an English major and having a strong command of verbiage at your side does not mean that your jests go unnoticed, just because you tend to flower them with $5.00 words.

I have nothing against either one of you, but I feel that you have ignored my request to stop this harassment, and are ignoring the valid claims I have made.

I thought that this was cleared up, and when I sent you a PM, I thought you would respond with a PM, but I guess that PRIVATE MESSAGE means you can publicize it when you are a mod, or the board owner.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I thought that this was cleared up, and when I sent you a PM, I thought you would respond with a PM, but I guess that PRIVATE MESSAGE means you can publicize it when you are a mod, or the board owner.
Right. Firstly, I'm neither a mod or the board owner. I'm an authorised administrator. There's a whole world of difference.

Yes, you sent me a private message, but you also dragged it out into public yourself. I made my response not to the private message you sent me, but to the comments made in the thread. IE it was already a matter that had been made public before I commented. Capiche?

And I still want to know how the hell you feel he's violated your privacy by doing his job.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Right, now that I'm here...

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

I appointed Denyer as a mod of this forum....why? Cos he runs at a screen res of 800x600 (not through choice I understand) so he has to work with more of this kind of thing.

Now it's been brought to my attention that whilst you've re-sized your sig, the image and text total 365 pixels in height, whilst the maximum permissable is 300 for people using 800x600.

In other words, shrink the sig ~or~ lose the text, decision is yours to make. For now.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Secondly, he was being sarcastic in the first post where I quoted him about the "text math".
Basically...no, I wasn't. I know exactly what pixel height different point sizes of text represent, because I deal with a fair bit of HTML. Most people don't.
I think that this has been straightened out, but I am not the only person who has said that Denyer has followed them around and done the same thing to them.
Yes, I'd like to think it has. As for the second part, is this an extension on the "Where there's smoke there's fire" logic?
This is a public forum, and if that means that when I report something to a moderator, it will be publicly displayed, then I guess I will have to be a little more explicit when I report posts like that.
You reported it to me, therefore I dealt with it as I thought appropriate...by explaining that I don't have any vendetta against you. Post reports are sent to all mods of a forum, or all admins if there are no mods assigned; they relate to a forum, and a therefore a forum is typically the place to deal with reported posts.
because he has been here since the board has opened, he can get away with harassing me
Wasn't aware that this was the case at any of the boards I visit...the only perks of age are that people you've been talking to for longer probably understand you a little better and you can skip some of the preliminary stages of a discussion on the basis that everyone tends to know what everyone else does and doesn't know.
but being an English major and having a strong command of verbiage at your side does not mean that your jests go unnoticed, just because you tend to flower them with $5.00 words.
As mentioned previously, it isn't always accurate to assume everything is a joke.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Sorry if I'm sticking my nose where it doesn't belong but I don't see the problem with Savannahtron's sig. Relatively speaking it takes up very little space. To shrink the image hides some of the detail and that would be a shame considering how beautiful the sig pic is. Granted I don't really know the sig rules but I would think the issue would be file size as that effects loading time and as a "dial-upper" I know how that can be an issue but his pic is small and loads relatively quickly. You mods and admins seem to be ganging up on the poor guy. It's gotten personal now, y'all should be above that sorta thing as "responsible" mods and admins. At least in my opinion. I consider Denyer to be a very good mod and even though his initial post didn't seem to be antagonistic it wasn't appropriate to post Savannahtron's report of the post in the forum, that would upset anyone I would think. It's pretty eveident that Sav and Denyer have a problem to work out, but maybe they ought to work it out in PM instead.
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Originally posted by Brendocon

And I still want to know how the hell you feel he's violated your privacy by doing his job.

Doing his job?

By that do you mean, that when I reported his post to the moderator, and he took it and posted it in public that he was doing his job? I would hope that would not be the type of ethics you emplore your mods to use.

And by you taking what I PM you and addressed it in public? I would like to know who owns this board if it is not you?
Hound

Post by Hound »

And by you taking what I PM you and addressed it in public? I would like to know who owns this board if it is not you?
Brendan Rielly AKA TFArchive does.

Just clearing that up for everyone not in the know.
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Hound: Screen-space is still as much of an issue to most people as filesize; about 50% of surfers web-wide work in 800x600, with the other half using 1024x768 (stats for 640x480 barely even register). Therefore we have a policy of catering to as many people as possible...hence the sig limits are set for the convenience of both main groups, so as not to break up the flow of posts with a screen mostly comprised of sig (especially on short posts).

Sav: Did you PM Brendocon, then? Or are your referring to me quoting your post report? The facility to "Report a post" has nothing to do with the PM system. It's there so that moderators for a forum can be alerted to a post and directly address that thread. As you addressed your concerns through the forum to myself, I responded within the forum and thread in question.

The board is owned by Brendan, who has the handle TFArchive on the board. However, since he doesn't have as much time as he'd like, the designated primary admin for the board is StoneCold Skywarp (previously known as Skywarp).

Basically, if you have a query about a mod, Sky would be the person to PM.