So is anyone else just not feeling Christmas this year?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

So is anyone else just not feeling Christmas this year?

Post by Sades »

I usually love Christmas, but this year I just feel like a big deflated balloon over the whole thing. Christmas shopping was a huge drag as we had to wait until last minute and physically actually deal with the glut of last-minute holiday crowds, I usually love making gingerbread but this year I barely managed to break out the cutters to get a ready-made tube of cookie dough into the oven (and now I'm sitting here staring at a plate of naked cookies posting here instead of decorating them), I'm dreading having every room filled with relatives, and I pretty much know what I'm getting for Christmas.

Am I finally grown up, or what? this is scary. :p

About the only thing I'm looking forward to is the small one opening her presents, and I'm not really complaining about that but it's this one little bright spot in a gigantic circle of "just **** off", and it's a bit disheartening.

/firstworldproblem
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

I totally get it. There are really only two things I'm looking forward to, one of which is the Superchunk opening her gifts. The other is my wife's gift; after years of refusing to get a dog, I'm buying her one, and she has no idea.

However, compare that with the horror of extended families and the logistics of making sure everyone is seen and merried at, it does take the shine off a bit.
Sades

Post by Sades »

My toddler is getting Thomas & Friends everything this year, more or less. Fricking Wooden Railway sets are expensive. Was a bit sad I couldn't find an Emily or an Edward but I think we managed to get most of the main steam engines. Even picked up a Diesel and a battery-powered Thomas.

Iced those ****ing cookies. Even making them look horrified/indifferent/icing the stars into Pokemon didn't do anything. I kinda feel like laying my head down somewhere and having a good, old fashioned massively self-indulgent sulk.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Hound

Post by Hound »

I'm actually totally into Christmas this year solely because I'm excited to see the little one open her presents. There's little frustrations sure, but on the whole everything's been great. Waiting to the last minute to be able to go shopping was a big pain in the ass but we got through it and accomplished all that was important to me.

The house is all decorated up and looks beautiful and I can't wait for the family to get here. We still have some little bit of shopping to do but it's really the minor stuff that's left and shouldn't be all that painful.

I'm so ready for Christmas to get here, I love this holiday, it's my favourite, and it's only gotten better and better as my daughter has gotten older and more into it herself.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Heh. I can relate. I like Christmas for seeing family and friends...but the rest of it can do one. Shopping for presents, morons at the supermarket clearing the shelves like they're preparing for nuclear armageddon...and as I type this I'm wearing a Christmas Jumper. Its a skull with a santa hat on. Which pretty much sums up my mixed feelings about Christmas. Probably because it feels ever more divorced from the original Pagan festival, let alone the bolt-on of Christianity, and is just this mass soulless orgy of shopping.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

I am MASSIVELY psyched about the whole "not having to get up and go to work for eleven days" thing.

The rest of it's just a massive inconvenience.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Sades wrote:I usually love Christmas, but this year I just feel like a big deflated balloon over the whole thing. Christmas shopping was a huge drag as we had to wait until last minute and physically actually deal with the glut of last-minute holiday crowds, I usually love making gingerbread but this year I barely managed to break out the cutters to get a ready-made tube of cookie dough into the oven (and now I'm sitting here staring at a plate of naked cookies posting here instead of decorating them), I'm dreading having every room filled with relatives, and I pretty much know what I'm getting for Christmas.

Am I finally grown up, or what? this is scary. :p

About the only thing I'm looking forward to is the small one opening her presents, and I'm not really complaining about that but it's this one little bright spot in a gigantic circle of "just **** off", and it's a bit disheartening.

/firstworldproblem

Welcome to my world.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Christmas is for kids, parents of younger ones and grandparents. Haven't felt it for years.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I find it impossible to believe that Christmas is only a few days away. I mean, I've got the shopping and most of the baking done, but where has the year gone?

We actually only got the tree up yesterday, when usually we did it the first week of December. That probably has lots to do with it.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I'm feeling very Christmasey, watching Christmas stuff every day (today was the Twilight Zone with the alcoholic store Santa. Then it's the big three: It's A Wonderful Life; Too Many Christmas Trees and Scrouged), buying a live tree and even getting a Christmas jumper for an evening out this Saturday just gone.

I've also spent a lot on presents this year (the super fancy Zaavi Farscape blu ray set for my mother being the Big One) and have had Kylie's Christmas album on my phone all week.

I especially like her turning Christmas Wrapping into a duet with Iggy Pop, where what is quite a sweet song with a happy ending is now incredibly sinister because he's clearly a rapist murderer psychopath (listen to how he "Laughs and laughs") and Kylie is doomed.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Sades

Post by Sades »

I managed to piss off two people today, just by being my charming self. The second person I pissed off (not Hound) has gifted me with the silent treatment. It's like a Christmas miracle.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Denyer wrote:Christmas is for kids, parents of younger ones and grandparents. Haven't felt it for years.
Yep. Tradition for me for the past few years has been to cue this up, and that's about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzaflC73iTk
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I've been running this on YouTube

http://youtu.be/qTx-sdR6Yzk

I generally have been alone on Christmas, but this year I get to spend it with people.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Sades

Post by Sades »

I wish they still sold toe socks. Those things were ****ing genius.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Well I don't, but for entirely different reasons.

Nevermind the weather not being very christmas-y at all - we only had ice and snow for like two days in November and it's pretty much just been raining since - but I go to my parents' every year for christmas and spend the rest of the year there and only come home after the new year, but apparently they discovered significant water damage in the bathroom and kitchen last month so all the cabinet doors have been ripped off, the new dishwasher is sitting in the middle of the dining room, the bathroom floor apparently has a hole drilled in it and they're expecting to get the big drying equipment to arrive sometime after the christmas holidays, the exact date is still open, but moreover, I don't even know if I'll be able to enjoy the usual christmas shower and sauna like I do every year, particularly the latter being a rare privilege nowadays since I live in a flat and the facilities are in a different building and I'd have to pay for it separately...needless to say, the stress caused by this all on both my parents and myself are causing a serious dent in the holiday spirit.
Ryan F

Post by Ryan F »

I had these same 'Christmas Blues' last year, so this year I was determined to make a good go of it. All my Christmas shopping was done by November, I booked a few extra days off work and, like Dalek have been watching some festive movies to get me into the spirit (Gremlins, Die Hard, Vice Versa and Hostile Hostages).

Also We have invited my sister over on Christmas Day (so all the nieces and nephews present), and I've also agreed to need up with some old school chums so yeah, this year I'm actually a little psyched for it!
Clay

Post by Clay »

From the Doom FAQ that's included on the Ultimate Doom CD that I've had for twenty years now:
Last year, about a week before DOOM was released, I wrote a poem
about "The Night Before DOOM," an obvious parody of "The Night Before
Christmas." In celebration of DOOM's birthday, Christmas 1995, and in
memory of 1994, I return "The Night Before DOOM" to everyone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
T H E N I G H T B E F O R E *-D-*-*-O-*-*-O-*-*-M-*
Written by: Hank Leukart (ap641@cleveland.freenet.edu)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

`Twas the night before DOOM,
and all through the house,
I had set up my multi-playing networks,
each with a mouse.
The networks were strung,
with extra special care
in hopes that DOOM,
soon would be there.
The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
while visions of demons danced through their heads.
And my computer's processor it was so quick,
boy was I glad I bought that 486.
When out on the Internet there was a Usenet posting,
I dialed right in to see what it was boasting.
Off to the news reader I flew like a hound,
"Oh no," I cried! The news reader was down!
Frustrated, bewildered, feeling really low,
I leaned back to see what I heard out the window.
When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
but a group of 6 cars, driving 60 I fear!
With a big young driver, just look at him go!
I knew in a moment, it must be John Romero!
Over the speed limit, his band of cars came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name:
"Now, Jay! Now, John!
Now, Dave and Kevin!
On, Adrian! On, Sandy!
On, Shawn and Robert!"
To the top of the driveway!
Don't hit that wall!
Now stop your car, stop your car, stop your car all!
Leaving the car, he entered the house,
Walking quietly, so as to not wake the spouse.
He was dressed in a T-shirt, and a a pair of jeans too,
I was unsure of what he was going to do.
Boxes of DOOM he had flung on his back,
and he looked like a peddler just opening his pack.
Those boxes - how they sparkled! The shrink-wrap so tight!
The character was drawn on the front, just ready to fight!
The Chain Saw and Shotgun he held in his hand,
Where was the BFG9000?: The best gun in the land.
And then I saw it, strapped to his back,
Along with a copy of the "Official" DOOM FAQ!
A wink of John's eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.
He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
Installed it on the network, then turned with a jerk.
And placing a hand into his jeans,
out came his keys - oh how they gleamed!
He sprang to his car, to the id team gave a whistle,
and away they all drove, like DOOM's launching of a missile.
But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,
"DEMONS TO ALL, AND TO ALL A HELLISH NIGHT!"
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Happy Christmas everyone!

And if anything is going to turn this thread around and make us all feel the season, it's my Christmas Message video!

REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!