Rumour no more - George Clooney will NOT voice Optimus Prime

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Rumour - George Clooney As Prime

Post by CounterPunch »

In an odd turn of events, eTalk Daily (a Canadian entertainment news and gossip program) is reporting that George Clooney will play none other than Optimus Prime is the upcoming Transformers movie.

The reporter, Suzy Wahl, claimed that Clooney would star in the "animated feature" as Optimus Prime, and that while she wasn't familiar with the role, she was sure Clooney could make it "sexy".

Keep in mind that this news is still very much a rumour at this point, but it's certainly an interesting one.

Originally reported from Allspark.com

Erm.... What?!?!?!?!?!?!
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Get the video here at TFW 2005...

Looks like the eTalk folks aren't really that familiar with anything regarding Transformers... They talk about Prime, show Ultra Magnus, claim the movie would ber an "animated feature" and come out "this summer"...
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
TOLSON
Protoform

Post by TOLSON »

somewhere in an office in hollywood
yay and ben affleck can be hotrod , clint eastwood can be kup,julia roberts as arcee,
jazz can be ice cube and vin diesel can be megatron starscream as jet li

stick to the original voice actors please
Almighty Galvatron
Protoform

Post by Almighty Galvatron »

While I agree with your sentiment on principle TOLSON, the fact that some of the original voice actors are somewhat dead may mean we'll have to compromise on a number of characters
Ghirox

Post by Ghirox »

Optimus Prime ... sexy?? :mad:

Clooney: "hi, i'm Optimus Prime, nice to meet you"
a woman could think: "oh yyes, i love big mountain of metal"
and then speak: "nice .. nice to meet you, Optimus"(?) :/

the fect that they want Cooney, and probably more famous actor, to voice OP and the Robots is ... strange, because there is not a great number of actor able to Dub, not as i Know, and bot are not so easy to dub, becuase the voice are also distorted ....
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Well, here's where the bonus of Voice acting comes in, as opposed to dubbing - they don't need to mach mouth movements as the animators work afterwords (Thank god - I would hate to think what would happen if a hollywood actor tried to dub over something like the japanese cartoon.... shudder)

Anyway - it's not to uncommon for hollywood actors to try their hand at voice acting (any major animated release features hollywood actors) - and the producers of the movie are going to want the big name draw.

Somewhere way back in G1, I had started a list of who would do good voices, I should dig it up.....
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Could work.

Clooney as Seth Gecko sounds dodgy on paper, but worked.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

stick to the original voice actors please

:rolleyes:
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I'd like to see McNeil in the lineup. He's got a talent for voices (not a fan of his Strongarm, but the rest have been pretty good).

It'd be nice to involve Chalk and Kaye, since they've been doing OP and Megs since BW, with the exception of RID, so they'd know their stuff.

Truth be told, I think some of the people, who are doing current voices should get first dibs, but they should have some new blood as well.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

As people have pointed out, this is going to be a blockbuster movie, and it being transformers wont be a big enough draw, they have to appeal to those people who want to go to the movie to see (or hear) their favourite actor.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

The problem is, no one knows who David Kaye and Scott McNeil and Garry Chalk are (well outside of the fandom anyway) - and while they are far supperior voice actors - that's not what the producers are banking on.

Sure, the fans will go see it - the die hard geeks might even get dressed up and we'll see a lot of Faction Symbol T's being sold. But lets face it, the TF fans are not the drooling legions that the Star Wars fans are. We can't make the movie a comercial success (though, we are probably going to pay the bills).

Hollywood is counting on people who may have a casual rememberance of a show in the 80's, a few toys they had and the attraction of names they know. Unfortuntatly.

So, while the core of Transfomers will be in the movie, there's also going to be a lot of: "why are they doing that?" things with it too. Unfortunatly.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by The HeartBrend Kid
Could work.

Clooney as Seth Gecko sounds dodgy on paper, but worked.
He's a decent actor, yeah. And wasn't that his first film?

Peter Cullen is the only voice-actor I'd deliberately carry over, and he's already well-known for family entertainment. Surround him with a few stars who are struggling to get facetime in other movies and you'd have a lineup similar to most other animated films.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Very true. I think there are plenty of roles for stars, but they should mix in some of the people, who have worked hard to make tf a success over the years. They're the ones that deserve the big bucks in this flick, not George Clooney.

Afterall, they could have the "big stars" as humans, so they even appear in it.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Clooney, if directed properly (and for an example of him being directed badly see Batman and Robin should make a good Prime...

the real question is, who will Jude law play? It seems you can't make a movie recently without him in it, so he's bound to be top of the casting list...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

All I was waiting for, thanks.
Archklown
Protoform

Post by Archklown »

oh thank heaven is all i can say Clooney is not a good choice for prime. but i hope the Guy who does StarScream now does SS in the Moive (only becuase the Orginal is Dead ;_; ) ,and i Hope Frank Welker is in their somewhere. yeah their is my fanboy hope right their lol
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Archklown
and i Hope Frank Welker is in their somewhere. yeah their is my fanboy hope right their lol

Welker does a lot of voice work on movies nowdays- After his request for a cameo on the Scoby-Doo movie was turned down he wound up being hired to voice one of the monsters anyway- so he'll probabaly turn up somewhere.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
wreckie
Protoform

Post by wreckie »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Welker does a lot of voice work on movies nowdays- After his request for a cameo on the Scoby-Doo movie was turned down he wound up being hired to voice one of the monsters anyway- so he'll probabaly turn up somewhere.

Don Murphy's pushing for both Frank Welker and Peter Cullen to reprise their roles in the movie. Here's hoping...
Cassettacon 27
Protoform

Post by Cassettacon 27 »

Wheeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww......:headbang: That's a load off my mind. I still have faith that they'll get Cullen and Welker. I hope.
As for Archklown's comment about Starscream, I believe that Mark Hammel would fit the part.
Joke. Noun. A thing said or done to cause laughter. Something not in earnest or ridiculous.

-Slash