SDCC panel: Animated intro; Animated TOYS!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

SDCC panel: Animated intro; Animated TOYS!

Post by Nevermore »

Panel rundown:
http://tformers.com/SDCC-Transformers-A ... /news.html

http://photos.actionfigs.com/showgallery.php?cat=2554
http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&a ... 00&start=0

Animated preview:
http://enewsi.com/c/gvid.php?i=11455

And after all the negative criticism poor Eric had to face before BotCon, TFormers keep coming up with creative new spellings for his last name...

ANIMATED TOYS
http://photos.actionfigs.com/showgallery.php?cat=2470
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Don't think I've posted my all-important opinion on this.

There's not much to be said for the unoriginal graphic style, but I totally admire the boldness of marrying the two concepts together. The animated preview is slick. slickier than a seagull after a slicky oil tanker shipwreck.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

MAN, Angry Archer looks SO MUCH like Aaron.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Those toys are pretty "sweet". Unique, interesting Transformers, that don’t seem to have the same type of face that a million other Transformers have. And that chap has a guitar – good times! :up:

Preview was actually rather good -- looks like it could be a lot of fun. Lots of stuff in there that should please (Disclaimer: SOME OF THE) older fans.
SPOILER! (select to read)
Those retro Dinobots certainly went down well with the audience, and frankly, I was drawn in too. However, I have a feeling that that little girl will inspire hatred throughout all of the fandom ;)
Could be fun – could be a disaster. Digging the designs either way.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

This is refreshing! I adore the sculpting for the animation figures. They manage to retain a cell-shaded look, and their respective alt/primary modes don't seem to suffer from the 'toon to toy translation (some of the movie figures didn't translate from movie to toy as well).
SPOILER! (select to read)
The Dinobots are going over well with the fandom, it would seem.
I just like it (though, Bumblebee's head is a bit bulbous. There's just something off about it). The Movie Cliffjumper repaint if freakin' hot. The red suits the mold nicely, I think.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I'm going to reserve judgement until I see them up close. I generally don't feel the new stuff until then. I might be just grabbing classics and movie stuffs, from now on. We'll see . . .
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I'm loving the designs on this, and seeing it in motion really sold me..I felt like clapping as well when Starscream spoke, and when the Dinobots and arcee appeared on screen. The toys really look wicked, I'm surprised they were able to make the animated designs into action figures without taking too many liberties.
optimum
Protoform

Post by optimum »

They look cool to me, I definitely want to get a few of them.
RUNAMOK
Protoform

Post by RUNAMOK »

not bad

They defenetly look better in motion than in the early promo pictures.

Im though not sure what to make of the "anime" background and some of the other transformations.
SenahBirdR
Protoform

Post by SenahBirdR »

I have to say I have done a turn around on my opinion. Of course, my opinion was a bit too early before so I am not shocked. Once in motion the style not only works for me but seems quite impresssive. So far I am more endeared to the voices of the Decepticons we have heard over that of the Autobots. Also the idea that the brunt of the Autobots are not really prepared for the villians gives me faith for the plot point of Decepticons rarely appearing in person. Now that I think about it human supervillians in the vein of Batman Beyond seem reasonable for a first season as obstacles to batter through.

One thing however is that most of the transformation sequences seem instantaneous or near instantaneous. I know that over doing it as the series drags on can be bothersome but I hope the final theme animation and early episodes show off the transformation sequence as they did with the tank in that clip. The constant small transformations for weaponry and such during battle was a big plus however. I want to see more of that sort of thing.

On to the toys. Here I am most impressed. The alt modes look just wonderful and I am awed that the cartoon robot modes look so spot on. Between the Dinobots and slick new alt modes I think I am getting more excited about this line than the continuation of the Classics. Of course, I'll still support both. Looking forward to more pictures.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Originally posted by SenahBirdR
I have to say I have done a turn around on my opinion. Of course, my opinion was a bit too early before so I am not shocked. Once in motion the style not only works for me but seems quite impresssive. So far I am more endeared to the voices of the Decepticons we have heard over that of the Autobots. Also the idea that the brunt of the Autobots are not really prepared for the villians gives me faith for the plot point of Decepticons rarely appearing in person. Now that I think about it human supervillians in the vein of Batman Beyond seem reasonable for a first season as obstacles to batter through.

One thing however is that most of the transformation sequences seem instantaneous or near instantaneous. I know that over doing it as the series drags on can be bothersome but I hope the final theme animation and early episodes show off the transformation sequence as they did with the tank in that clip. The constant small transformations for weaponry and such during battle was a big plus however. I want to see more of that sort of thing.

On to the toys. Here I am most impressed. The alt modes look just wonderful and I am awed that the cartoon robot modes look so spot on. Between the Dinobots and slick new alt modes I think I am getting more excited about this line than the continuation of the Classics. Of course, I'll still support both. Looking forward to more pictures.

i like the toys from what i can see, the first thing i saw were the hand designs and seeing Alternator hinged hands for some or all of the toys made me almost fall out of my seat and spit my coffee out of my mouth! i am digging these, and the robot modes look pretty sweet with minimal kibble from the vehicle modes as just pure ornamentation or functional engineering. hooray for hasbro! I also like the theme song in the animated sequence a helluva lot better than the last several version from armada to the new movie, a VAST improvement and one can tell that whomever is performing the song is taking it seriously and wants the theme to be badass! horray for that band, they have a new fanboy!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The lead human is a ginge? It's doomed.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Henry VIII was a ginger.
So's Simon Pegg.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Brendocon
Henry VIII was a ginger.
So's Simon Pegg.

And both would be rubbish as a 8 year old girl in a Transformer cartoon.

That's a bloody awful version of the theme tune as well (though the "Autobots wage their battles" bit defeats most versions). Still, looks like it could be the most fun show since RID.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Brendocon
Henry VIII was a ginger.
So's Simon Pegg.

As was the movie star from Gilligan's Island. Er . . . what was her name, again? ;)
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

This just dawned on me. The human characters, especially the little girl, look like characters from the Gamecube Legend of Zelda game..the Windwaker one. Very similar in style.
cflames89
Protoform

Post by cflames89 »

Not really sure about the new show. Hell, I probably won't even be able to watch it here in Canada.

But the new movie figures, very nice!!!!!!!!!
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ohh, heck! It's like watching and waiting for Batman or the X-Men to turn up. Honestly, I think they've simply taken the original sketches for those series and popped a TF over the top until they got a match. If 'Bee goes 'bamf' I shall be annoyed... :o Why does everyone have to have a huge top half and a small lower half, as if they are direct relatives of Carrot?

I will say that, while it looks promising, I really don't think it'll regenerate the common culture as it's just so darn Saturday-morning-kids-show-watch-and-forget generic in style. Hope the plots are decent - the toys certainly look to be so! Nice Screamer there...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
And both would be rubbish as a 8 year old girl in a Transformer cartoon.

That's a bloody awful version of the theme tune as well (though the "Autobots wage their battles" bit defeats most versions). Still, looks like it could be the most fun show since RID.

anything is better than the godawful "cybertron", "armada", and "energon" and movie themes. just my opinion though. and to answer cloggs down below's post, most dc and marvel comics anymore have characters with huge top halfs and tiny lower halfs most of the time anymore. i dunno, i've gotten used to that style for some odd reason. O.o
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

it looks great.

The USA does TF better.
Come on and wind me up.