The big eBay issues thread

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Jim

Why are there so many dumb people on eBay?

Post by Jim »

Ya know, I've listed a number of DVDs, and I am very clear about payment. Its all over the page that I only accept MONEY ORDERS. Now, I got these people sending off Paypal, and its like HELLO! I mean, do people even bother to read the auction listing? I could say that the DVD case was filled with jello, and I bet they wouldn't notice.

Grrrrr.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Well there you go, start selling empty dvd cases and see how many dumbasses buy them...and there will be several.

Like I said before, it's because a lot of the people buying are stupid little kids. Even further proof that they should be banned from the internet under penalty of death.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Did they just find out your e-mail address and whack it into the PayPal site? Or does eBay push PayPal more now that they merged?
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

As a general rule I don't use paypal at all it sucks I will send a money order and a personal check only on my last eBay auction I won was sent with a money order.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

If you'd start deporting or killing dumb humans, who would do all the work?

I do like to watch other people work.

But we should keep them in cages, so they cannot run around freely bothering us and control their reproduction rates.
[sigpic][/sigpic] :clap: Isch bin dabbei! :up:
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

.... MEH

I use Bidpay sometimes, but thats a Rip off if you have to pay for Shipping, but its free, but to use it costs $5 bucks US plus theres other stuff ... People piss me off!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Despite often lousy customer service, PayPal is extremely useful—if I have the choice between a BuyItNow with PayPal and waiting several days to see if I've actually placed the highest bid, I'd rather pay the slight premium and stop searching.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I use Paypal, but the problem I have with it is the fact that they're legally entitled to freeze your bank account and take all your money if they even suspect you're using a stolen credit card. They don't need proof mind, just suspect you of it...
Ulticron
Protoform

Post by Ulticron »

ebay is pushing paypal harder now that they own it. Several months back, can't remember what it was i sold, but the person actually attempted to pay me w/paypal. I got rather irrate about it restating what i said in my auction about ONLY taking MO an personal checks for payment. They apologized an said that was what ebay gave them as an option to pay with.

I had one schmuck give me a nuetral rating because i don't accept paypal, an i in turn gave him a negative for his attitude problem.

I hate paypal w/a passion. I and I alone have access to my checking/savings account, and i feel no one has the right to access it for any reason what so ever. I won't even allow walmart to direct deposit my paycheck there. So if i'm not going to let my employeer have access to it i most certainly won't let a faceless greedy internet based corporation have access to it either.

This will most likely be the death nell of ebay. If they keep trying to cram paypal down everyones throat more ppl will jes tell them to go skrew themselves an give up online auctions.
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

I think PayPal's great especially since I have to buy a lot of items from the U.S.
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Jim

US eBay Sellers - A little help

Post by Jim »

I started to sell a lot of DVDs on eBay, and the one question I get often are from bidders outside of the US asking whether I ship internationally. I usually say I do not ship outside of the US, as I always worry about the extra hassle and costs. However, I have decided to open them to those outside, and was wondering about your experiences with those transactions.

How did you get payment? - Would Bidpay work?
What type of shipping did you use? - USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc
What about custom forms?

etc etc

Thanks
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Say PayPal only. Send it through the ordinary post office, using their standard "international delivery with signature" method.

's what I do for international bidders, and is what I tend to expect if bidding on something.

Customs forms are sorted out at the post office. Just make sure that the buyer understands that any charges are their responsibility.

Don't use FedEx, it costs an arm and a leg. Yeah, it's fast, but it's also damn expensive. Most people are probably unwilling to cough up an extortionate amount for the sake of it being a coupld of days quicker.
Claypool
Protoform

Post by Claypool »

if you do money orders, make sure you say "internation money orders" the pink ones.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Which are, by and large, nigh on impossible to actually raise in the UK.
Claypool
Protoform

Post by Claypool »

also, when you put something up, make up another eBay name and bid on your own items
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

But be careful. You don't want to end up winning it and then forking out on listing fees without making a sale...
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

Originally posted by Claypool
also, when you put something up, make up another eBay name and bid on your own items

you intelligent little fox, you
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Best solution: open a temp cashing account with a different bank, attach a PayPal ID to it and accept only that for international orders. Clear it out regularly into the bank account and transfer across to your regular bank.

Quick solution: just attach a PayPal ID to your regular account.

Nochex or BidPay are also alternatives. Personally, I'm most inclined to go for buy-it-now auctions with a PayPal option. Least hassle for me as a buyer... and no hassle (touch wood) as a seller.

I gather that USPS services are a little different to UK ones. Airmail is automatically covered up to a certain value when sent from the UK, but I think there's an extra charge for the US equivalent. You can go for 'signed for' but it hikes up the price further.

I've never sold anything to the US via eBay, and I list only as UK... however, I don't mind international bidders, state so, and have sent quite a few things to mainland Europe. Wrapped GBP or PayPal is usual. Also bought/traded/sold various stuff to and from the US. Sending stuff to the US appears faster than receiving it, due to the vagaries of the postal system. Airmail is invariably worth the relatively slight cost increase over surface mail (which is quoted as 4-6 weeks. I have a nasty feeling the Teela I won has been sent that way, in which case it'll be a nice surprise after Christmas...)

Customs forms... I'm fairly vague, always write my address on the reverse of the package (sign of good faith) and always tick the 'gift' checkbox on the slip.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Claypool

I think that's illegal on ebay, and overall, it's dishonest. I'd be pissed if I ever found out that a seller had done that to me. If you really couldn't let go of something for a certain price, then you should set a reserve.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Not illegal, but you will get booted for it.

Jim, in general, round postage up slightly and you're likely to cover other associated fees.