New Avengers / Transformers #1-4/TPB

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
inflatable dalek

Discussion for The New Avengers: The Transformers Issue 1.

Post by inflatable dalek »

Is out right now boys and girls.

I hadn't realised it was out so soon (yay for my amazing mod powers failing me so soon). I haven't read it yet, but it feels very light compared to Galvatron...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

I knew about it being out......it must have slipped my mind for a moment :glance:
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by zigzagger
I knew about it being out......it must have slipped my mind for a moment :glance:

We both must have been in denile. There's no excuse for me not being aware Galvatron was out though...
inflatable dalek

And now I've read it. Good grief, it's stageringly bad. Really, really stageringly bad.

And why is Megatron speaking with an Autobot speechbubble? Confused the hell out of me as to who was atacking the NA's. Mind, the Autobots are speaking with strange blue hued bubble that aren't right for either side. Optimus calling Wheeljack "Jack" is probably the lowpoint of the entire history of comics.

On the plus side, it doesn't seem to fit into IDW continuity all that well after all.
MegatronIDW
Protoform

Post by MegatronIDW »

If by "All that well" you mean NOT AT ALL, then yes, you're right. I mean really, why would Verity have trouble believing in an invasion of Giant robots when she lives on an earth that regularly faces alien invasions, mutants, killer robots called Sentinels and power mad supervillains? There is NO way this can fit into regular IDW continuity...and thank god for that, because it ****. It's even got the obligatory "Heroic misunderstanding" fight scene at the end, which will probably take up all of issue two. Jesus christ, what a waste of paper.
inflatable dalek

There's still chance for the "everyone agrees never to mention it again/amnesia" ending though.
BlueFlame
Protoform

Post by BlueFlame »

I loved it. Don't follow the IDW comics, so all I really care about is it being in continuity with the MU, which it is.

YAY! Can't wait for number 2
________
Vaporizer-info.com
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by BlueFlame
I loved it. Don't follow the IDW comics, so all I really care about is it being in continuity with the MU, which it is.

So as this is set a while before Civil War have the New Avengers at any point mentioned their exciting battle with Outer Space Robot People?
chiasaur11
Protoform

Post by chiasaur11 »

No, Tony has his Illuminati buddies erase everyone's memory for no real reason.

But he's right, Honest.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Got it. Nice to see that IDW got their logo on the cover.

Anyway, the story was okay. Just seeing Megatron and Spiderman together again in the same comic was the highpoint for me, striking that nostalgic chord I like to have stroked.

Of course, we know already what each issue will feature. First, the good guys will battle the good guys, then get to know each other and say "Okay then", and then the good guys will battle the bad guys right after the bad guys have already battled each other. Finally, by the last issue, they have figured out who should be battling who in that final climatic battle.

That's usually how these crossovers go, but you know, it's for fun the way I see it. I take it all as lighthearted entertainment and won't scrutinize this kind of series the way I do the good stuff.

Art was good human-wise. Bot-wise, eh.

A "B-". I'll be getting the whole series.
inflatable dalek

The New Avengers Transformers: Man And Machine Issue 1 of 4
by Inflatable Dalek.

Writer:
Stuart Moore.
Penciler: Tyler Kirkham.
Inker: Sal Regla.
Colourist: Annette Kwok.
Letterer: Todd Klien.
Cover Artists: Jim Cheung, Mark Morales and Justin Ponsor.
Production: Rick Ginter.
Asst. Editor: Alejandro Arbona.
Editor: Bill Roseman.

Synopsis:
A team of New Avengers lead by Captain America have been dropped by SHIELD into Latveria in order to both investigate an structure emitting strange readings and to find out why dictator Doctor Doom is suddenly bombing the neighbouring country of Symkaria. As they have just become a nuclear power it's vital the New Avengers stop hostilities escalating before all out war breaks out.

Outside the strange building they find numerous destroyed Doombots. Quickly breaking in through a crack Wolverine makes in the wall, the team is strangely on edge and can't stop arguing with each other. Suddenly they are forcibly scanned, and a black car zooms past and grabs Spider-Man. Withdrawing back outside, Captain America calls in help from Falcon and Miss. Marvel.

Elsewhere, strange creatures hidden in shadow debate what is happening, explaining that a machine is being used to make the humans in the two neighbouring nations more aggressive, and it's already working on the Super-Hero's.

Spider-Man comes to find himself on a operating table, where Megatron informs him that the arachnid will help the Decepticons achieve their greatest triumph.

Outside an argument between the Captain and Wolverine is interrupted by the arrival of the Autobots (for the mysterious shadow beings were they). Optimus Prime tries to explain that the situation is a problem the Autobots must solve, but the aggression inducer has left little reason in the humans and they launch a attack on the giant robots...

Characters Featured: Wolverine, Captain America, Spider-Man, Luke Cage, Doombots (deceased), Director Hill, Runabout, Wheeljack, Optimus Prime, Jazz, Prowl, Falcon, Ms. Marvel, Megatron, Bumblebee, Ratchet.
Notes: For the Transformers this purports to take place between Infiltration and Escalation, whilst it's between Breakout and Sentry for the Marvel hero's. All the pre-publicity has emphasised that this is "canon" for both franchises, but at the moment this seems... dubious. For starters it looks like overkill on Megatron's part to be setting up both the aggression plot seen here and the facsimile business we see in Escalation at the same time. Also there doesn't seem to have been any contact between the Autobots and Decepticons between the two mini's. Prime's attitude towards Earth authorities is also drastically different here. Compare how he attempts to explain himself and his mission to Captain America to his attitude of keeping the humans out of it even when they're next to the fighting in Escalation. Not to mention on a more general note, Verity's initial refusal to believe in aliens in Infiltration seems silly if they're supposed to be living in the Marvel Universe where there's buggers of the things. This isn't going in goofs yet as it's early days yet and they may well come up with a contrived way of tying it all together, but if they don't expect this paragraph to be referenced latter (but till them these reviews will be assuming this is set in the main IDW Universe). There's no mention of placement within the issue itself. And speaking of canon: Spider-Man previously meet the Marvel version of the Transformers in US#3. This is being ignored here due to the different continuities (apparently the main Spider-Man comics ret-coned the meeting out some time ago anyway, with Peter Parker claiming he's never been to Oregon in one issue). At one point Captain America claims not to recognise the type of jet making the raids on Symkaria, so despite the blue colour scheme it's presumably not supposed to be Thundercracker who's already in his Earth mode by this point. Where each New Avenger first appears we get a box giving their name, secret identity and special powers, the Autobots just get a name box (whilst Megatron has to introduce himself). The introductory text page uses the silver version of the Autobot logo from the 2007 Movie posters.

Both Symkaria and Latveria are stock made up countries from the Marvel Universe. The (so far off-screen) involvement of Latveria's dictator Doctor Doom is presumably due to his presence in the Fantastic 4 sequel, effectively tying this comic into two of the Summers big Movies. Stuart Moore's most recognisable writing credit is probably for Justice League Adventures. This is the first Transformers title to be published by Marvel since issue 12 of the Generation 2 comic back in 1994. IDW also get their logo on the cover and a thanks on the credits page, but don't seem to have actually been involved in the production of the comic beyond giving some advice on how it can tie into their own titles.

Quote Unquote:

Luke Cage: Doom's Robot army. Someone did a full drive-by on 'em...
Spider-Man: in their own 'Hood. What? I can talk "Street".

Wolverine: That's the second time [Captain America's] told me to shut up. If it happens a third time we've got a problem.

Megatron: Merely a crude prototype... But sufficient to reduce all humans in the vicinity to the mindless clawing animals you truly are.

Goofs:

S.H.I.E.L.D's cunning plant to stop the war: Have the New Avengers walk around a strange building in Latveria on the off-chance Doctor Doom is in it. Why not just have them blow up the base launching the jets?

When we have the group shot of the Autobots in shadow, Jazz is taller than Optimus Prime.

On one panel Prime claims that what they're seeing is a new tactic for Megatron. then Prowl claims "He's right, it's their usual strategy".

The Autobots have blue framed speech bubbles, in Infiltration they were red. Which is what Megatron has here despite the Decepticons having purple ones in the first IDW comic. Mind, they'd dropped the colours by Escalation, so perhaps there's a exciting missing adventure where everyone’s voice changes and this is in the middle of it.

Wolverine's reaction upon hearing a voice coming from a cab is to shout "A talking truck!", rather than just assuming there's a microphone relaying the words of the person inside.

Why doesn't Prime just have his Silumucrum talk for him rather than reveal himself? He could probably make it in the form of a US General and order the Avengers out of there.

On the splash page the Autobots have Jimmy Hill chins. And Ratchet is the only one bothering to look at the Avengers, everyone else is staring off in different directions. Even Prime, who's doing the talking, seems to be looking behind them.

Review:
Avengers Attack!.

The bulk of crossovers comics involving Transformers-mostly with GI Joe- are staggeringly bad. Ancient Relics is fun, the last two Devil's Due Joe crossovers have been entertainingly daft but the rest are as entertaining as a Jodie Marsh reality show. Sadly Man and Machine does not buck this trend.

Plot wise it's identical to 98% of these crossovers, the hero's meet and have a misunderstanding and fight (before no doubt realising their mistake next issue). Deeply dull and padded out with a uninteresting sequence of the Avengers wandering down a hall of mirrors whist Spider-Man talks like a cock. Hopefully Megatron will dissect him before they can rescue him.

Art wise things are very mediocre, as well as the odd chins the Autobots are sprouting Wolverine seems to have borrowed J-Lo's arse, whilst Optimus Prime is doing a Pat Lee pose on the splash page. Tellingly the pre-publicity has focused more on the cover artists than the chap actually drawing the comic, with good reason it would seem.

All in all, the rubishness of this can be summed up by Prime calling Wheeljack "'Jack" at one point. Frankly a crossover with Steed and Mrs. Peel would have been more fun...

[two out of five]
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

What's Megatron's alt mode? Or what does his robot mode infer it to be?

Just running on the "set between Infiltration and Escalation" thing.

No Jessica Jones in it? It can **** right off, then.
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Brendocon
What's Megatron's alt mode? Or what does his robot mode infer it to be?

Just running on the "set between Infiltration and Escalation" thing.

You don't actually get a full body shot of Megatron so it's hard to tell. He does have that grey tube thing on his shoulder, but I can't remember if it was there in his Cybertronian mode as well. yay me and my fantastic research.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Review's up.
Hull
Protoform

Post by Hull »

I also thought it was terrible. So far the covers I've seen look pretty great, but I really wished they'd worried a little less about attempting some sort of continuity and just focused on making a good, original story. As it is now, I don't think I'll pick up issue #2.
Giant Insecticons Will Rule the World!
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

I truly look forward to what the revelation of Doom's role in this is going to be.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Actually, if it is possible, I would like to add a few points to my esteemed Dalek's review inasmuch as Doom is concerned:

1. The Doombots that were slaughtered were not the ordinary run-of-the-mill Doombots- these were the identical replicas of Doom himself, and their heirarchy is in the upper guard of Castle Doom. This basically means one thing: If Doom rolled out the big guns, something huge is going down.

2. In an interview with Toy Fare, Stuart Moore stated that, in terms of the Marvel Time Line, these events were to occur pre-Civil War. If that is the case, it could be possible that they goofed because prior to Civil War, Doom was still locked in hell courtesy of the bumbling Richards Family. It was not until he heard the call of Thor's Hammer that he broke free (full story in the "Road to Civil War" issue of the Fantastic Four), however, when that exact moment came, it is not specifically known.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
chiasaur11
Protoform

Post by chiasaur11 »

Eh, Doom-like Doombots aren't that special. Every single time he invites Richards over: those doombots.

Don't want to deal with solicitors: Those Doombot.

Face it, that kinda doombot is lucky if it lasts a week.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Originally posted by chiasaur11
Eh, Doom-like Doombots aren't that special. Every single time he invites Richards over: those doombots.

Don't want to deal with solicitors: Those Doombot.

Face it, that kinda doombot is lucky if it lasts a week.

You sound awful sure of yourself. I know my facts, because they are backed up by 45 years of written history. Care to place a wager?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
chiasaur11
Protoform

Post by chiasaur11 »

I, of course exaggerated for comic purposes, and they are the top rank.(except maybe the giant ones in marvel megamorphs)

However, they still show up every time doom fights the FF and blow up and if not "Doom" turns out to be a doombot.

He even uses 'em in plots way below his level (according to him).

If you doubt, check out the Simonson run's first arc. He uses one just to play a prank on Richards.

Not that big a deal they're being used.