The Madness of Lord Galvatron

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Animus Prime
Protoform

The Madness of Lord Galvatron

Post by Animus Prime »

Once again, I've fallen into patterns of TF geekdom *sigh*

Anyway, I've been reading a lot of TF stuff lately and catching up on old G1 episodes, and I started theorizing about Galvatron's distinct character change post-TF:TM (i.e., going completely nuts).

The idea of Galvatron's insanity seemed to pick up a lot of momentum in subsequent interpretations of the TF universe, which set me to theorizing: is Galvatron's insanity directly related to the destruction of Unicron? He was, after all, the one Decepticon who seemed to be most heavily under Unicron's control (or at least caused by pain by his attempts to resist Unicron's control)-- did rebelling against Unicron melt his brain? Did his Unicron-laced circuitry start failing after the monster was destroyed?

Just thoughts-- anyone want to chime in?
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Galvatron was lucid during the movie, so maybe the problem is where he landed after he went flying off into space after Unicron went boom.

Someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he end up in a lake of plasma or somesuch? I do remember him challenging Cyclonus with something like: "Did I ask to be rescued?!?"

Personally, I would attribute it to physical injury (as per Webworld) and possibly severe depression after a useless punk Autobot succeeded where he failed (opening the matrix).
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
Animus Prime
Protoform

Post by Animus Prime »

I hadn't even considered Rodimus envy-- good point.

The realist side of me thinks that the change was mostly due to the fact that his character was no longer voiced by the steely Leonard Nimoy, while the creative side goes with the Unicron + boom boom = Galvatron crazy theory.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I can't remember the episode, but I think I remember Cyclonus once saying that his insanity was due to the amount of time he spent in the lava on Thrall (the planet he landed on after Rodimus tossed him out of Unicron).
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

Maybe it was the new form?...

Notice how in all other series when Megatron becomes Galvatron he just gets repainted and otherwise is the same person!
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
nutype
Protoform

Post by nutype »

I'm pretty sure its the damage he sustained from the lava pits. I thought it was a fitting fate for Megatron, after killing Prime in such a schiesty way. He becomes a slave to Unicron, the one thing you would excepct Megatron to die before accepting and is driven insane, and essentially transformed into a parody of the great leader he once was. He essentially trades power, for his identity. You always got the sense too that if the Decepticons could cure his insanity (which they so memorably tried) he would surpass Megatron in terms of greatness. I always thought that was pretty cool.
Animus Prime
Protoform

Post by Animus Prime »

Lots of good points. One of the things you notice about Galvatron is that he has every reason to be a better, more powerful leader than he ever was as Megatron and yet the Decepticons fall further and further into disarray. The Decepticons are never the threat they once were after Megatron becomes Galvatron (and the Decepticons lose control of Cybertron, but that's something else).

If we're to believe that the Beast Era does indeed follow G1, did Galvatron's insanity lead to the "extinction" of the Decepticons?
Terrordrone

Post by Terrordrone »

hey gang!
(my first post)

Galvatron had a serious breakdown in someway. He was miserable. He enjoyed it and wanted others to feel it. Text book stuff. There is medication for his condition but oddly enough he was on all of them already.

After the TF:TM fiasco, the Decepticons were in a mess. Starving for energon, scattered and then a leader that would rather shoot them.

With that as the start of that era of the Decepticon "empire", things did not improve or grow. Scavengers. Rats. Vermin is what they acted like.

BUT if we throw in the Japanese continuity after the N.American G1, then the Decepticons seemed to be doing a bit better. And more weird.
"Life must hurt - there aren't enough cruelties" - Decepticon bastard.
Rookwise
Protoform

Post by Rookwise »

I do remember something along the lines of Galvatron becomming unstable from the time he spent headfirst in the lava that he landed in after the events in the TF Movie. I think it was mentioned in the Webworld episode.

The webworld script is below.

The Decepticons approach an asteroid belt in deep space, searching for a material known as isodrite. As Galvatron rants about crushing his enemies and everyone else, Ratbat finds an isodrite deposit -- already being mined by the Autobots. A battle ensues, during which Galvatron spends nearly as much time bashing his own troops aside as he does firing at the Autobots. With his "help", the bemused Autobots make a clean escape aboard Sky Lynx.

Back on Chaar, Motormaster and Swindle have words with Cyclonus: either do something about Galvatron's madness, or face rebellion. A holographic image of a Quintesson appears to Cyclonus, and advises him that there are planets which specialize in repairing damaged minds, such as Torkulon. Not knowing what else to do, Cyclonus considers the idea, while the Quintessons gloat among themselves that shortly they will have several less Transformers to deal with -- including the "most dangerously unpredictable of them all."

Planet of the Psychiatrist ApesCyclonus lies to Galvatron, informing him that the Autobots are resting on Torkulon after their most recent skirmish; the deranged leader eagerly takes the bait, flying to the planet with Cyclonus and the Sweeps. Upon landing, Galvatron threatens several alien flesh creatures, demanding that they hand over Ultra Magnus. The intelligent Torkuli arrive shortly; when Galvatron predictably refuses their orders for non-violence, they restrain him. Galvatron quickly realizes Cyclonus has deceived him. Galvatron is carried away to begin his therapy, while Cyclonus fills out a small ream of paperwork.

As the therapy proceeds, Scourge has his doubts -- "This is stupid! Let's get him out of here!" Cyclonus says to at least give it a chance. The Torkuli are unsuccessful in getting Galvatron to talk about his problems, and even less successful when they have him put together external objects to repair his damaged psyche: Galvatron builds himself a blaster and tries to escape. Finally they attempt "exo-drama" where patients act out their problems but a bouncing alien screaming at Galvatron finally causes him to snap further, shouting back that "I'll give you something to scream about!!" Galvatron becomes immune to the electromagnetic restraints of the Torkuli; they throw everything they have at him, restraining him for their last resort - the Alya solution.

The chief therapist reveals that Torkulon itself is a living planet, and can manifest itself in the form of insectoid creatures that consume the damaged portions of those who cannot be helped, in effect lobotomizing the planet's victims and leaving them mindless. Cyclonus protests and demands Galvatron's release, but he and Scourge are also restrained by the Torkuli.

Should've chosen a BUPA home.The Alya begin to feed on Galvatron who continues to resist: "You have no right to change what I am!" The Torkuli doctor informs him "You've already been changed; that's the problem." Cyclonus can barely watch as his leader's mind is invaded by Torkulon -- but something goes wrong. The madness of Galvatron proves to be too strong for the living planet, causing it to malfunction. In the chaos, Galvatron, Scourge and Cyclonus are released from the planet's grasp. After taking a few shots at Cyclonus for getting him in this mess, Galvatron fights to the center of the planet, having seen into its mind while it was inside his. The planet fears Galvatron's madness and destructive potential and attempts to restrain him, but Galvatron powers his way through to its living-computer core. Several cannon mode blasts render the entire planet inoperable. Galvatron informs Cyclonus he will now destroy whatever is left, and warns Cyclonus against stopping him.

After the planet is reduced to smoke and rubble, Galvatron gloats over the beauty of "devastation wrought with precision and care," seemingly just a little more sane... until Cyclonus informs Galvatron that it will take the Torkuli centuries to rebuild. Galvatron decides his work isn't done if it's going to take "only centuries", but a weary Cyclonus suggests that the Autobots might be a more pressing concern. Galvatron smiles at the prospect of killing Ultra Magnus; the Decepticons flee the planet, leaving the Torkuli at the mercy of their former insane patients.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Yeah, the sight of Galvatron doing "arts and crafts" (essentially) as therapy was priceless.
Standup Philosopher

wolfbolt86
Protoform

Post by wolfbolt86 »

Rurudyne wrote:Galvatron was lucid during the movie, so maybe the problem is where he landed after he went flying off into space after Unicron went boom.
There wasn't any evidence that shows Galvatron being crazy at all before his lava bath. He was quite sane. He was cleared of being insane afer O.P. opened the Matrix in Returen of Prime pt 2.

source: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Galvatron_%28G1%29
Terrordrone

Post by Terrordrone »

However, he was already showing other forms of mental wackiness *BEFORE* the lava pit. Some would call it confidence. Some would call it god-complex, messiah nonsense, self-centered, self-involved, etc etc etc. And to top it off, he was a transformable canon. Not a good outlet.

Whatever he was before the lava pit, it was still unhealthy.

And I LOVED IT LOL
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

You are all wrong. According to Takara's official cannon the following happened after the Transformers movie...
After being hurled out of Unicron and into space by Rodimus Prime, Galvatron's flight path was disrupted by the Sparkbots, a trio of Unicron's servants who were already working to resurrect their master. The Decepticon leader crash-landed on the planet Earth, obliterating the city of Tokyo. This catastrophic loss of life destroyed human-Transformer relations and led to the formation of the Earth Defense Command, a governmental organization which drove Transformers from the face of the planet. Appropriating Galvatron's remains, the EDC reverse-engineered a fleet of human-operated "Autrooper" Transformers to perform this task.

As 2006 settled in, Galvatron's impact was revealed to have had an even greater effect than anyone had expected: The blast caused by his impact had scattered his Unicron-empowered cells throughout the planet's atmosphere. When his cells came into contact with other objects and animals, they fused with them, creating an army of monstrous creatures referred to as "Legion". This disastrous event also created the means to defend the world against Legion, however: When Galvatron's cells came into contact with human beings, these humans gained the ability to fuse with other entities containing his cells. With their Autroopers being the perfect candidates for this "ParasiTech" fusion process, the EDC began recruiting and training these "Kiss Players" as combat squads to battle the Legion.

Seeking to uncover the ulterior motives of EDC Commander Hitoshizuku Amaō, Kiss Players Marissa Faireborne, Shaoshao Li and Atari Hitotonari discovered the remains of Galvatron beneath the EDC headquarters. Amaō's plan to use the Legions to resurrect her daughter, who had died in Galvatron's impact, was foiled when all the Legions and Autroopers fused with Galvatron's corpse, restoring his cells and reconstituting his body. Galvatron's body was shot back into space, where it went on to crash on Thrull.

Yeah...I'd be pretty ****ing insane after all that happened too....
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Ackula wrote:You are all wrong. According to Takara's official cannon the following happened after the Transformers movie...

Yeah...I'd be pretty ****ing insane after all that happened too....
So that's what happened!

Explains why Spike was keeping his family off-world....
Standup Philosopher

Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Ackula wrote:Yeah...I'd be pretty ****ing insane after all that happened too....
Yup. Just the mere mention of Takara's multi-universal timeline is enough to drive anybody crazy.

Seriously, talk about the abyss staring back...
Terrordrone

Post by Terrordrone »

actually, that would be bloody annoying. DESTRUCTION TIME!! Time to get revenge!!
StarscreamX
Protoform

Post by StarscreamX »

The two theories I've heard is that it was either A: Lying in a pool of plasma energy for so long (Try it at home kids, see for yourself what it does to your mental state) and the other one (Not sure if this is purely fanon or if it was ever hitned at in official sources) is that the trigger Unicron used to cause Galvatron pain wound up being fused in the on position. So he was in pain 24/7 with no Unicron to switch it off and that just drove him round the twist.
Decepticons forever!

Across the universe...the dead will rise :devil:

The secrets of the Universe reveal themselves to those who listen

Nobody likes you when you're dead
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

StarscreamX wrote:the trigger Unicron used to cause Galvatron pain wound up being fused in the on position. So he was in pain 24/7 with no Unicron to switch it off and that just drove him round the twist.
I don't recall seeing Unicron ever use a trigger. Where exactly is it located, above Galvatron's battery compartment? Besides, I already explained it using official canon, surely you wouldn't dispute Takara's fanon, I mean canon.
starlord
Protoform

Post by starlord »

Galvy's madness is different from Meggy's .It probably comes from it but Galvy seem to be more nuttier. Maybe because he was reformatted or given makeover.
A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest of decepticons.
nutype
Protoform

Post by nutype »

Could be wrong about this, but it was a thought I have carried with me since I was a kid. But I thought that Unicron's torture of Galvatron is what drove him insane. And also the disgrace at becoming a slave.