"The Batman" (Upcoming cartoon series)

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
DrSpengler
Protoform

"The Batman" (Upcoming cartoon series)

Post by DrSpengler »

http://www.thetechnodrome.com/forums/vi ... php?t=8343

This is actually the first time I'd heard about it. It's trying to differentiate itself from Batman TAS with a whole new voice cast (BAD MOVE) and alternate timeline. I'd much rather have an update on the original Batman TAS rather than a whole new storyline.

The character designs so far look pretty good. Except for the Joker. My God.

Thoughts?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Actually, Batman looks pretty poor, too. But then I've always preferred a version of Batman with long, bladed ears and slight vampire overtones.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

lol @ Joker.
Cyberman

Post by Cyberman »

I only took a quick look - CGI? Yuck. What´s so bad about good ol´ hand made cel animation?
Even when not good, it often looks better than weak CGI IMO.
In a perfect world, this would be a signature. As it stands, it's just the lack of.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Cyberman
I only took a quick look - CGI? Yuck. What´s so bad about good ol´ hand made cel animation?
Even when not good, it often looks better than weak CGI IMO.

I know. There are certain things that I like CGI for (Beast Wars, Reboot). There are things, however, that should be left to cel animation. Batman is one of them.

And the Joker looks absolutely hideous. And not in the good way...
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Does this mean Justice League Adventures is also no more? I could be miles behind here since we never really got it on terrestrial in the UK. But since they used the batman from TAS are they kicking it?
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

No, they're keeping Justice League the way it is.

This new Batman cartoon is to promote the Batman: Year One movie that's a few years down the line.
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

Boo! Batman and Joker are both ugly. I was hoping that this would be a little after batman beyond or atleast contiued with the batman animated series.
Sidenote: About justice league, in wizard it said the series is changing its name to justic league unlimted and that many more characters would make appearnces like red tornado, green arrow and black canary.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

I don´t like the look of characters, I´m not interested in the timeline (young Batman) they have chosen. -> If I can see it on Finnish television (doubt it) I check it, but otherwise I´m not going to pay any attention to the series.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

I've only heard about this for a few days thast weird me being the batman fan that I am. Hey ill give it a chance as long as they make the story cool and such......all new voice cast???? even kevin conroy is gone????? but he is batman! when I read the comics its his voice i have in my head:(

*edit* lol adam west is going to be in it ahahaha and hes the mayor! family guy guest stars anyone?*edit*
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Originally posted by Hawkeye
I've only heard about this for a few days thast weird me being the batman fan that I am. Hey ill give it a chance as long as they make the story cool and such......all new voice cast???? even kevin conroy is gone????? but he is batman! when I read the comics its his voice i have in my head:(

*edit* lol adam west is going to be in it ahahaha and hes the mayor! family guy guest stars anyone?*edit*

"Batman! Someone's stealing my water..."

Yeah, Mark Hamil is one thing but Kevin Conroy was a big mistake. I know they want Batman to be younger (hopefully that won't mean "hipper") but still...
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

Yeah, Mark Hamil is one thing but Kevin Conroy was a big mistake. I know they want Batman to be younger (hopefully that won't mean "hipper") but still...

spengs i didnt even think of that....A young hip Batman *shudders* like Frank miller has often said Batman just needs to be old. its his oldness that makes him a cool character with all that "old veteran shut the f*ck up and listen to me kinda stuff"
If he is a young hip dude with a lighterhearted personality they might as well have him bitten by a radioactive bat and be done with it. *not sayin anything bad about spider-man sure he had his misfortunes but he is alot more easy going than Bats*
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

He'll probably end up with a personality and voice not unlike Terry from Batman Beyond. I mean, he did a good job and it worked perfectly for TERRY, but not Bruce Wayne.

Beside, Bruce Wayne wasn't a teenager or even in his early 20's when he first became Batman. He was a fullgrown adult. That's oneo f the things I liked about Mask of the Phantasm. It shows Batman in his early years but he's not young.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

Yeah I to love how it was done in mask of the phantasm. yeah it does indeed work for terry but not bruce. Bruce wasnt a young man since he was 8.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Bruce wasnt a young man since he was 8.

Bruce Wayne died with his parents.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Bruce wasnt a young man since he was 8.

Well put.

Bruce spent the best years of his life training for his role as a crime fighter. His childhood, his teens and up through to his mid to late twenties were all dedicated to traveling the globe and becoming the greatest detective in the world.

He didn't just grab the cape and cowel and become Batman over night or even in as much as ten years. It was a process that took hard work and effort for the better part of two decades.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

Yeah so Its safe to say we all agree on the character potrayed in the cartoon better not be a well adjusted teen or anything. im not to worried though as DC animation so far hasnt really potrayed him wrongly yet. Im iwlling to give them the benifit of the doubt. Yeah Batman is indeeed awesome He is actually my favorite comic character with Hawkeye as the second....
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
No, they're keeping Justice League the way it is.

This new Batman cartoon is to promote the Batman: Year One movie that's a few years down the line.

Oh good. I just wondered since a lot of companies when promoting a new version of a franchise like to remove all trace of the old version, usually using excuses like "To avoid confusion"
Strafe

Post by Strafe »

all new voice cast???? even kevin conroy is gone????? but he is batman! when I read the comics its his voice i have in my head:(

Same here.

This has "sucktacular" written all over it.