Transformers #43

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Terome

Transformers #43

Post by Terome »

Kicking things off - I'm halfway out the door so won't go into too much detail.

A slight but satisfying issue. Soundwave extends a hand towards Cosmos and he makes a few interesting points. Why exactly is anyone doing what Optimus or Arcee says?

There's some interesting stuff in there about drones / animals / humans and some less interesting but solid set up about Blackrock's Mysterious Origins. I like how he owns up to the Ancient Cybertronian code in the Onyx thingy (OR DOES HE?).

I quite like the Statler and Waldorf take on Laserbeak and Buzzsaw. Not the best approach to characterisation or whatever but at least they're getting actual lines to say that are sort of remarkable or memorable.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

So no records of Blackrock exist prior to 3 years ago... Oh hell, he's Scorponok's new partner in crime, isn't he?
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

The Muppet references were enjoyable and I found a quiet joy in seeing Blackrock try and fail to be humorous with the Decepticons.

That being said I did very much enjoy this issue, Cosmos is a favorite of mine so him getting the main focus was nice.

Unicron wrote:So no records of Blackrock exist prior to 3 years ago... Oh hell, he's Scorponok's new partner in crime, isn't he?
That would make sense and would be a pleasant if somewhat predictable surprise. Than again I wouldn't put it past them to have him be secretly a cybertronian in a human body or something else insipid or dull
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2
Terome

Post by Terome »

Yeah, at this point the most interesting thing would be to make Blackrock a normal human rather than a Scorponok or facsimile or whatever.

I do get the sense that Abraham Dante will be showing up soon.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Blackrock? Well, Obsidian turned up recently, in the flash through the various colonies, iirc. Obsidian is a black rock. Holo matter projection? Could Elita One and Obsidian be turning up in ex-RID? Where in space where they? Anyone know? (Disclaimer: I avoided Combiner Wars comics like the plague itself.)
Wreck and Rule!
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Rack 'n Ruin wrote:Blackrock? Well, Obsidian turned up recently, in the flash through the various colonies, iirc. Obsidian is a black rock. Holo matter projection? Could Elita One and Obsidian be turning up in ex-RID? Where in space where they? Anyone know? (Disclaimer: I avoided Combiner Wars comics like the plague itself.)
In relation to Cybertron I have no idea. But they were on a massive starship with space bridge capabilities and a corpse throne.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Well I really enjoyed this a hell of a lot. Nice dialogue, some interesting ideas and the art really fits. The preview for 44 also looks pretty damn interesting - suffice to say after the combiner wars shit things are really looking better in the old RID world. even the blackrock thing felt more natural and sensible.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

A nice fun little issue.

I really don't give a toss about the plot (or rather, the overall Blackrock plot, the issue specific plot was fine if slight) but the work on Cosmos and Soundwave continues to be great stuff. When he's not having to deal with terrible crossover/toy promotions/rectifying decade old continuity issues Barber really does have a good handle on characterisation and has pretty much salvaged Soundwave from some horrible misuse from the other writers we've had since Furman.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Whoops wrong thread