Wolverine and the X-men Trailer

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
TFArchive
Custom Title: King Lurker

Wolverine and the X-men Trailer

Post by TFArchive »

Hey folks, the trailer for the new cartoon is online, check it out:

Trailer

It looks very promising, almost a mix of the original cartoon with x-men evolution animation. Definitely more serious stories like the original.

What do you think?
--
Brendan Reilly
The Transformers Archive
http://tfarchive.com/
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Ooo... Dust... Kitty phasing a helicopter through walls... Wolverine vs. Hulk... secondary mutations... Mojo...

I'm not sure I'd watch, because it's been a while since I read much Marvel and I don't watch a lot of stuff in general, and they look like they're drawing on a large number of existing stories -- but they're drawing on a large number of stories that are either very good and/or fan favourites.

Animation's largely very well done, too. Yeah, can see this going down well with adults and kids alike.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Gah ya beat me to it with creatin a thread.

I really enjoyed what I saw and I like what its doing, in that its merging various different continuities etc (ie, various characters, various costumes, various stories)

Really like that its pulling some smaller characters in there, like Dust (i just read the 25 or so issues of New X-Men Yost and Kyle (?) wrote, opened me up to loas of new characters) and looking forward to Maverick and stuff.

Its gonna be good.

I read loads of posts on Newsarama b****ing that its Wolverine and the X-Men so theyre not gonna bother watching it. You can get a feeling that the show isn't going to be "Wolverine..... with some X-Men" its gonna be "Wolverine leading a team of X-men" and that all of the good guys will have a decent enough feature in the show. They cant see that slapping Wolverine on there ups the marketing prospects by so much more, what with it intending to start showing only a month or two (if that) before the Wolverine flick hits.
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. It looks pretty good and the voice cast seems decent so far. A McKellen soundalike for Magneto was a nice tough.

Whatever happens it can only be far superior in quality than that 90's x-men cartoon.

Andy
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I'm kinda in the same boat as Denyer as I am not really up to date on my Marvel or anything, but this looks very promising. I recognized lots of story elements from past X-men continuities that look to be very entertaining. Seems to follow closely with "Days of Future Past" doesn't it? Again I haven't touched a Marvel comic since I was a teenager mind you. Animation and voice acting seem top notch though, I will surely watch it if it comes on a time slot that I can work in with my son.
DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

XAVIER IS ZORDON!

It looks neat. I'm just a bit used to the old VA for Wolverine, this one'll take time to grow on me.

The animation quality looks more like their recent straight-to-dvd releases instead of saturday morning shows. Really looks promising.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Christ that looks good. And at least by putting "Wolverine" in the title they're being up front with us...
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Was that Charlie Adler as Mojo? Oh god, that's perfect. Mojo = The Red Guy from Cow & Chicken.
wolfbolt86
Protoform

Post by wolfbolt86 »

Looks good. I don't understand why people who haven't read one of Marvel's comics don't want to watchet. I hardly read anything of Marvel's but plan on watching it. Besides, does it really matter if one reads the comics to watch a cartoon? We know with reason, that the show will not follow the comics 100% and might change some things just to either easier for the kids to understand, or the writers didn't like the stuff in the comics.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

People who haven't read any comics are probably in a better position to appreciate, because a) it's all fresh to them, and b) they won't be grimacing at things that have been changed.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Wow... I didn't even know they were making a new series. Now I'm pumped. I love that they are incorporating so many different X-men, old and new. Can't wait to see where they go with the series.

Also, Cliffy is right about the title. Pretty much every X-men cartoon series, as well as the movie were focused on Wolverine, so they might as well put him front and centre.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

:up: The awesomeness of the sheer awesomosity is awesome!

Oh, yes yes yes!

All those mainstream stories they appear to be touching, albeit (maybe?) out of sequence, for those are original Trask Sentinels and yet we have Dust making an appearance etc. The animation is very acceptable. Only, I doubt this will be available in the UK for some time *sighs* guess it'll be YouTube for me...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

Well the shows had five episodes now, thanks to bittorrent I've managed to watch them. God knows what has happened to it's planned BBC showing.

It's pretty good stuff and gives us a reason for having Wolverine at the forefront of things. I won't spoil things too much, but they do a good job of taking a few key players off the board early doors and re-establishing the X-Men and the reasons for the team needing to exist.

There are lots of nods to existing X-Men stories, some are explained, some don't really need to be and are just introduced.

While I liked X-Men Evolution I did feel it did kind of drift along at times, this show has a purpose and a storyline behind it, at least for the first season.

I'd recommend folks give it a go.

Andy
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

i just watched the first episode and thought it was awesome. nice to see a fresh take on the animated front in that they're not afraid to take out key characters and bring in some of the lesser known ones from the comics. There's a much more gritty feeling to it than evolution which, asides from the apocalypse and morlock storyline, was basically about how cool it would be to be a teenager with powers complete with pop-punk style riffs and skateboarding.

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Prowl1984 wrote:i just watched the first episode and thought it was awesome. nice to see a fresh take on the animated front in that they're not afraid to take out key characters and bring in some of the lesser known ones from the comics...
Anyone we know - aside from Dust (already spotted: see post above) - or would that entail too many spoilers?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

The main team gets re-assembled over the course of the first few episodes so I won't go into specifics. There are quite a few of the minor mutants showing up over the course of the first six episodes. Sammy Pare (Fishboy from the Chuck Austen run) shows up in the latest episode.

Andy
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

AndyTurnbull wrote:Sammy Pare (Fishboy from the Chuck Austen run) shows up in the latest episode.

Andy
That actually brings a lump to my throat... Have we got young Mr. Bohusk (Beak) in there, too? (Which begs if young Angel Salvadore will appear.) Sorry, just gotta ask.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

That's a negative on both counts so far, but there's only been 6 of the 26 broadcast so there's a fair chance.

Andy
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Well I just loved that.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I've been watching it, but for some stupid reason they decided to switch it to 7pm on saturdays in Canada. Who the hell is at home to watch cartoons at 7pm on a saturday! Damn you YTV!