[Gobots] Whisper it...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

[Gobots] Whisper it...

Post by Cliffjumper »

...but I might have found some half-decent, sort-of Gobot fiction: -

http://counter-x.net/gobots/comic/robo_ ... index.html

Eagle's serial, which uses a different premise to the CotG cartoon, as is much better for it. Surprisingly violent (I make it two characters 'bleeding' to death in just the installments I have), and while it's not on a par with Marvel's Transformers stuff, it's certainly worth a read.
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

That's not too bad. Better than I expected from Gobots (Machine Robo) anyway.

ZOD Monster?
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Read the few first chapters. Nice, very 2000AD like style (never heard or seen anything from Eagle before). Thanks for your effort putting these online.

Do you have the early issues in your sight? Wouldn't mind waiting few months to read the strip in chronological order. :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Osku
Do you have the early issues in your sight? Wouldn't mind waiting few months to read the strip in chronological order. :)

I've got hopes of closing down the rest of the run in a week or so, and then I'll be scanning it from the start (because of the red, the Eagle format and the fragile nature of the comics themselves - IPC/Fleetway comics were still printed on newspaper-type stock at the time, I print the B&W scans out onto photopaper myself) and hopefully getting them online in publishing order. I'll post my progress in here, if you like :)

Zod nearly always being referred to as "Zod Monster" is something I could lose from the thing, as is the retention of heads on Cy-Kill & Scooter's vehicle modes,
SPOILER! (select to read)
and writing Carry-All and Royal-T out straight away doesn't really gel (I guess Bandai were anxious for more toys).
But overall I really like the stuff.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
I'll post my progress in here, if you like :)
yes please :up:

i'm still trying to get through your backlog of stuff. did you take down the robot archie scans, or am i cack-handed ?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, the Spotlight bit rotates at the moment... It's House of Dolmann for the next few days, then Marvelman Family =)

However, I'm in a helpful mood, so for the next few days only: -

Robot Archie - The Metal Menace
http://counter-x.net/temp/ra_metal.cbr
Robot Archie and the Power Crystal
http://counter-x.net/temp/ra_power.cbr
Robot Archie and the Shark Monster of Arunda Bay
http://counter-x.net/temp/ra_shark.cbr
Robot Archie in Volcano Island
http://counter-x.net/temp/ra_volcano.cbr

The first two are less fun, because they're from before Archie got his speech box, and the third has beautiful art - much better than the Bert Bus stuff used for the Vulcan run...

EDIT: Ooops, just give me 5 to actually upload the files...

EDIT II: Done!
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

edit : seeing that i just discovered about bandwidth theft, is it better if i host these images myself rather than linking them directly ?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by slartibartfast

edit : seeing that i just discovered about bandwidth theft, is it better if i host these images myself rather than linking them directly ?

Oh, I'm just a bastard... Dunno, how big's that site? I was more after someone to kick/free advertising ;)
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

http://www.thetick.ws/comtick.html ? i haven't the foggiest... tinternet etiquette is somewhat alien to me. i didn't want to unwittingly deprive loyal fans from the ultimate tick site.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Right, I've won an auction for what I believe to be the remainder of the run, so hopefully I'll get that and be able to begin scanning soon :)
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Right, I've won an auction for what I believe to be the remainder of the run, so hopefully I'll get that and be able to begin scanning soon :)
Excellent!

Let us know when you've updated the situation on your site.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Interesting stuff... certainly classic art and the tone's like a lot of stuff at the time. Nice find... have to remember to go through 'em all at some point.
Originally posted by slartibartfast
Yes.

You could try the ImageShack toolbar if you're running Firefox (there may be an IE version as well...) Lets you do it in a couple of clicks.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

As a general point, I should probably point out that the only things Eagle the 1980s version shared with the 1950s version were the name, the publisher and the trademark 'Dan Dare'. It was basically a junior version of 2000AD (might even have had the same editorial staff), and even at that rarely pulled its' punches - stuff like Doomlord, The Thirteenth Floor and the relaunched Dan Dare really could be very nasty. Like 2000AD, it used the infamous Action as its' template [the sudden death of a hero we've been following for three issues was a trademark device used in Hookjaw], and probably scared a few nippers in its' time.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Is the Dan Dare stuff much cop? Now Titan seem to be starting their trades up again (and why is all their non TF stuff so much better presented?) would it be worth tracking down?

EDIT: Oh, and re the Captain Britain trade you review, mine has a huge printing error near the end that results in about two pages being duplicated, some being missed and all in the wrong order. Is that something that afflicts your copy as well (and therefore probably all of them) or is it just me who lucked out?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Sounds like bad luck for you, though I'll add that info to the review :(

80s Dan Dare's a bit poor, from what I have of it, a real "why did they bother with the name?" thing (2000AD's record with revivals is shocking, frankly), though it might be a little better in trades - the biggest problem from the 13 episodes I have is the plot just doesn't move at all. I can probably give a more informed rundown in a week or so when those other comics turn up.
inflatable dalek

Sounds like bad luck for you, though I'll add that info to the review :(

It just means remembering to take it back up Brum with me next time I go to exxchange it now I know they're not all like that (there was a similar problem with the last Dan Dare collection, though that aflicted the entire print run apparently). I'm still not entirely sure why the Red Skull, after years of focusing all his efforts on destroying America, suddenly decidedes Britain deserves a bitch slap.
80s Dan Dare's a bit poor, from what I have of it, a real "why did they bother with the name?"

I remeber my Dad (puttup) getting the new Eagle every week, though oddly I recall it being in the 90's (then again, it's had a lot of relaunches hasn't it?). I'm still staggered Go-Bots got on the front of 2000AD. "Are they machines or robots? They're both!!!", wewll, duh, a robot would indeed be a machine...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
I'm still not entirely sure why the Red Skull, after years of focusing all his efforts on destroying America, suddenly decidedes Britain deserves a bitch slap.
Because Gary Friedrich was a drunken idiotic hack who was busy sulking about no-one liking Ghost Rider.
the new Eagle every week, though oddly I recall it being in the 90's (then again, it's had a lot of relaunches hasn't it?).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_%28c ... y_relaunch

That's the same version as the one that contained Robo Machines, but going through the usual Fleetway 1990s "OMFG, nobody wants to read this, change everything until they do" approach...
I'm still staggered Go-Bots got on the front of 2000AD. "Are they machines or robots? They're both!!!", wewll, duh, a robot would indeed be a machine...

I just love the vague inclination that the best thing in the comic that week was a competition...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

inflatable dalek

Because Gary Friedrich was a drunken idiotic hack who was busy sulking about no-one liking Ghost Rider.
Is there any reason that marvel UK used peeps based in America (albeit an ex-pat in Clearmonts case) rather than just recruiting some local talent? It's really odd to see that some issues have "Colors by" credits...

That's the same version as the one that contained Robo Machines, but going through the usual Fleetway 1990s "OMFG, nobody wants to read this, change everything until they do" approach...
Wierd that my Dad would have boithered with it. Then again, he waas a big Eagle fan back in the day so i suppose he brought it for the same reason I brought all four issues of Hearts of Steel. Still, Death's Head 3 cured me opf my furman complitism, so there's hope yet.
I just love the vague inclination that the best thing in the comic that week was a competition...

The odd thing is that it's from one of the issues I've just read in the lattest "Complete Case Files" book (or rather "Complete Case Files We Can Reprint Without Geting Sued By KFC"), it's hard to suqware kid friendly robot competition with the strips dealing with the aftermath of allout Nuclear war on Mega City 1...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Is there any reason that marvel UK used peeps based in America (albeit an ex-pat in Clearmonts case) rather than just recruiting some local talent? It's really odd to see that some issues have "Colors by" credits...
Marvel didn't have much local talent, most of them were contracted to Fleetway at the time. Before Dez Skinn was hired, Marvel UK basically consisted of a fistful of editorial staff who collated reprints. It was symptomatic of their total inability to understand the British market...
Wierd that my Dad would have boithered with it. Then again, he waas a big Eagle fan back in the day so i suppose he brought it for the same reason I brought all four issues of Hearts of Steel. Still, Death's Head 3 cured me opf my furman complitism, so there's hope yet.
I know my dad bought it "for my brother" at one point (because I got Transformers). He even bought him a couple of those great giant hardback collections they did.