Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Right oh. I ask the manager (whom I know) of a small (Relatively) comic book store where I usually buy my comics from if he recommended anything. His recommendation was of coarse 52. Now I have no doubt in my mind that he recommended 52 as a ploy to squeeze lots and lots of money out of me but he assured me it was great...

It's not. It’s a lame story, 24 wannabe with bad scripting, unbearably annoying characters coupled with depressingly run-of-the-mill art. Stay away from this average comic. It tries to be edgy, it tries to be compelling but utterly fails. A weekly comic that tickled my fancy would have been great, but really this was not a good example of DC nor was it brainless fun. I found it quite dull and I'd advise staying away from this one. 52 weeks of this, I think not. I can't imagine it will pick up however I might pick up #2 I really hope it will prove me wrong
but I doubt it will.
-Alex???
Jetfire

Re: 52

Post by Jetfire »

Originally posted by Aardvark

It's not. It’s a lame story, 24 wannabe with bad scripting, unbearably annoying characters coupled with depressingly run-of-the-mill art. Stay away from this average comic. It tries to be edgy, it tries to be compelling but utterly fails.

Sounds just like Infinite Crisis to me.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

From what Ive heard (not read) it improves as the weeks have gone on
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Well the first week is only out here and Ireland usually gets its stock on the same day as England.

@Jetfire: Yeah believe me its got Infinite Crisis written all over it
-Alex???
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Originally posted by Aardvark
Yeah believe me its got Infinite Crisis written all over it

That's not surprising considering it one of the many aftermath/sequels-spin-offs from that load of crap.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I foolishly bought the second week.

Stay away. Everyone vindicate the waste of my money by not buying this crap.
-Alex???
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

I didn't think it was all that bad but have to say that all the plot threads seem to be moving at the same pace - very slow. It's a damn sight more readable than IC.

Art is pretty decent but with Giffen supplying layouts it's hard to go too far wrong.

I can't stand the almost compulsory Black Adam tearing someone to bits moments which are in 3 of the 4 issues I have read. The bits with The Question in them have been the highlight of the series so far. Not sure if I will stick with it though, as aside from The Question the other plot threads haven't grabbed me. But with Animal Man in issue 5 I may have to stick with it a wee bit longer.

Andy
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I find the art to be pretty run-of-the-mill stuff. You could pick up any comic, particularly DC that looks exactly the same. I really don't have anything positive to say about this. If it does get better I'll never know, as I generally don't give a comic a third chance unless it’s a franchise that I have an extreme soft spot for such as Transformers or I have a particularly strong reason to believe it will improve.
-Alex???
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by AndyTurnbull
I didn't think it was all that bad but have to say that all the plot threads seem to be moving at the same pace - very slow.
It's a story about an entire year where one issue is about what takes place in a single week. Slow is to be expected.

I want to know how they're going to be able to tell a multiple issue story without the aid of any last page cliffhanger moments.

It gets better. Issue 4 and 5 are very good.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I do admit that #2 was better than #1 but the story itself hasn't sparked enough interest for me to keep buying it even if there are better things to come.
-Alex???