Twilight / general discussion of vampire fiction

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Denyer

Twilight / general discussion of vampire fiction

Post by Denyer »

Haven't read the book, have no intention of. However, some of these comments are hilarious.

http://blogs.usaweekend.com/whos_news/2 ... ats-b.html

"Twilight was the reason I caught rabies and Travis shot me."
Posted by: Old Yeller

Via http://io9.com/5096763/twilight-makes-f ... nwank-ever

Via somewhere I don't recall. Tired. Sleep now.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

The series is completely overrated and the movie is mediocre (It's okay I guess. Not Fantastic Four bad.) and just like High School Musical, I have no idea how it got so ****ing popular out of nowhere.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

Not out of nowhere, it’s been gaining legions of Goth girls for years now.

I just don’t see the appeal, personally I like my vampires less suave and gothic and more hideous bat monsters (ala 30 days of night and Lost Boys).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

secretcode wrote:The series is completely overrated and the movie is mediocre (It's okay I guess. Not Fantastic Four bad.) and just like High School Musical, I have no idea how it got so ****ing popular out of nowhere.
I comepletely agree. This book got popular out of nowhere and is ALWAYS, ALWAYS being talked about no matter what. I always here:
"OMG, Guy A from Twilight is sooooooo..."
"Like, Girl V from Twilight is sooooo..."

I swear, I would only buy the book as fire kindle.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to buy fire kindle instead?
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

How did Twilight ever become popular? The same way Hannah Montana and the Backstreet Boys did. Seriously, companies love to exploit the screaming mass of teenage girls and have been doing it since the Beatles ever stepped off an airplane.
The only reason Myers ever got her little vampire fanfiction out of her diary is because some editor knew he or she could spoon feed it to the masses. I mean, c'mon, Vampire's spark like diamonds in the sun? Whatever happened to Bram Stokers' Dracula?

I also blame Hot Topic but I can't stay too mad at them. They just recently started carrying decent music in their store.
Cliffjumper wrote:Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to buy fire kindle instead?
Depends.
~
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Ostentatious wrote:Whatever happened to Bram Stokers' Dracula?
It was crap so everyone came up with their own version?

I'm grateful to the Lumiere Brothers, but Sergio Leone handed them their arses.
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

Are you talking about the novel or the character? I personally really like the vampire mythos of Stoker's but I'll agree it's got it's flaws. And the novel, no the greatest, but still enjoyable considering some of the crap they put out today. Example Given:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Viking ... 0425222959
~
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Cliffjumper wrote:Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to buy fire kindle instead?
Good point. But you get the idea.
This reminds me of Tokio Hotel got so popular with the girls at my school out of nowhere. I mean, their singer looks like a transvestite and they couldn't play their instruments good on their lives. Everybody knows that Hendrix and Kerry King are better singers/players, but they seem to be less popular in my school these days. Nowadays, everybody is listening to Linkin Park, Bullet for My Valentine, and Greenday. Nobody has heard of The Residents, GWAR, and some assholes haven't even heard of Radiohead.
I fear the worst for humanity.
Sorry, back on topic now!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I didn't mind the Backstreet Boys, I thought they did some enjoyable silly pop songs. Clearly I am a misguided teenage girl.

And regardless of the quality issues Stoker's Dracula is basically unfilmable being presented as letters, diary extracts and newspaper cuttings. Hence everyone doing their own thing with the basics. A similar thing affects Jekyll and Hyde, though in that case it's less the narrative structure and more the fact everyone now knows the twist ending (THEY'RE THE SAME PERSON!!!!!!!) that makes adaptations do what they like with it.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Ostentatious wrote:Are you talking about the novel or the character? I personally really like the vampire mythos of Stoker's but I'll agree it's got it's flaws. And the novel, no the greatest, but still enjoyable considering some of the crap they put out today.
The mythos isn't too bad, the book is shockingly badly written. Worse things being put out don't change the poor quality of the original material...
Slayer-Fan123 wrote:But you get the idea.
No, not really. It seemed more like someone making a posturing claim that didn't hold up to much scrutiny. Why intentionally boost a book's sales, and thus the author's kitty, when there are perfectly good sources of fire tinder already avaliable? I'm curious, actually - you must have bought and read this book in order to have such vitriolic feelings towards it... what exactly led to your purchase?
inflatable dalek wrote:Clearly I am a misguided teenage girl.
Well, we all knew that anyway. A1 and Five both kicked their arses, though.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Cliffjumper wrote: Well, we all knew that anyway. A1 and Five both kicked their arses, though.
Well of course. I especially liked the way Old Man 5ive (about 50 years older than the rest) would always do a little rap in the middle of each song, usually clearly done by looking up random words in a rhyming dictionary. I once saw the lead singer of A1 at a Star Wars premier. He was behind the line with the rest of us plebs...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Ostentatious wrote:Whatever happened to Bram Stokers' Dracula?
Elijah Snow broke his lovejunk.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Ostentatious wrote: Whatever happened to Bram Stokers' Dracula?
It was rewritten for the film.

I actually own that in hardback. Ponder it. Fred Saberhagen's and James V Hart's Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula. UNFILTERED LITERATURE, LET ME SHOW YOU IT.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I just died a little inside.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Soft target I know, but am I the only one surprised Francis Ford Coppola is still alive?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

He isn't.

Sofia had his corpse hollowed out and coated in preservatives so she can wear it on set and try to halve some of the godawful director flak.

The last film he actually made was Apocalypse Now, he was eaten by Marlon Brando during post.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Halfshell wrote:I just died a little inside.
Yeah, it's the clearest, cleanest example I've found of book > movie > book. A number of other books have their share of third-party sequels and spin-offs (Dracula and Frankenstein are notably prolific in this regard), but I don't think there's another novel that's based on a film that's already based on an existing novel.

I do remember a junior novelization of Jurassic Park with the reading level aimed at pre-teens (and also had the plot altered to follow the movie more closely), but that's not quite as deliciously perverse as the re-novelized Dracula.
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

Cliffjumper wrote: Worse things being put out don't change the poor quality of the original material...
Yeah...I know that isn't the way to make a valid argument, but it was a good excuse to final share the series with the rest of the community. I think it's hilarious, but whatever.

I also remember that Jurassic Park novel. One of my friends back in elementary school was often seen reading it. Back then, I stuck with Jack London.
~
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Clay wrote:It was rewritten for the film.

I actually own that in hardback. Ponder it. Fred Saberhagen's and James V Hart's Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula. UNFILTERED LITERATURE, LET ME SHOW YOU IT.
Yeah, I had the paperback for years... I'd rather watch the film than read either the rewrite or the original...

Novels consisting of series of letters were very common when the form was beginning to get established. One of the first (and bloody awful it is too) was 'Pamela' IIRC.