Transformers Spotlight: Shockwave Info + Pic {Out September}

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Aardvark

Transformers Spotlight: Shockwave Info + Pic {Out September}

Post by Aardvark »

Added to the September Solicitations is the Shockwave spotlight.
Look away now if you don't like SPOILERS
http://www.idwpublishing.com/solicitations.shtml
Transformers Spotlight: Shockwave

Simon Furman (w); Nick Roche (a); Nick Roche, James Raiz (c)

Presenting a series of one-shots, focusing on some of the best-loved (or loathed) characters from the TRANSFORMERS Universe. The spotlight falls on SHOCKWAVE as the coldly logical DECEPTICON undertakes a plan of devastating scope and ambition, one that will send shockwaves through the entire saga, including the Stormbringer and Escalation series and beyond! Guest-starring... the DINOBOTS! By Simon Furman (The Transformers: Stormbringer) and Nick Roche (Transformers: Generations).
See Shockwave in action

Shockwave has lost a lot of weight. Looks a little too much like something you’d see in Gundam for my liking but I can dig it. No doubt it will cause a stir among fans. Dinobots=Grimlock= ):

Glad to see the spotlights are relevant to the bigger picture…And those are organic dinosaurs in the background so you can draw your own conclusions to whether that’s prehistoric Earth ala Evolutions (Albeit different continuities, though apparently they can be shoe horned, right Chuck?:rolleyes: ) or some weird dino Island ala Marvel.
-Alex???
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

ACTION MASTER Shockwave?!
Clay

Post by Clay »

Originally posted by TFVanguard

Trim-Spa, baby!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by TFVanguard
Nah, Nick's just a wee bit stylised. His chins may be particularly recognisable if you've ever seen The Evil Dead.

This is going to be pure retro goodness for Brits / TMUK fans.
Ford DeceptiFocus
Protoform

Post by Ford DeceptiFocus »

Okay...WHY OH WHY is this comic issue $3.99 for the SAME 32 pages (minus 10 approx. for ads) that we normally pay $2.99 for? If it was 48 pages, I could justify this, but this is kind of lame.
Till All Are Drunk with the Matrix!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Two possibilities;

1/ Look at the rest of the solicits. Normal prices for issues from an independent publisher are $4, and they don't scrimp on the materials.

2/ As they're one-shots, there may be no previews and exceed 22 story pages.

Dunno. I've asked...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Furman. Dinobots. Wow, this is going to rock. [/lie]
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I'm curious how he's going to fit in dinosaur alt modes without the benefit of the Savage Land or an island with a time portal.

Shockwave being tens of millions of years old... well, he's one of the more basic, angular and personality-less models, so it's just about workable.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

He can do what he likes with the alt-modes as long as he actually writes some new dialogue for either them or Shockwave...

I'm wondering what TFVanguard would do with that extra dollar... put a new wing on the mansion, maybe? Sign Andrei Schevchenko? Fund a moonshot?

Knowing IDW, they're putting it all in a big fund and they'll buy us all a nice Christmas present each because they're so lovely :)
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Denyer
I'm curious how he's going to fit in dinosaur alt modes without the benefit of the Savage Land or an island with a time portal.

Beast Wars rationale would work. Scanned fossils.

Though they wouldn't necessarily be mistaken for a local lifeform...

I plead the Mark Lawrenson argument!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Brendocon

I plead the Mark Lawrenson argument!

"Oh, Brazilians though. Isn't it?"
Hound

Post by Hound »

They didn't have that in the cartoon...

*shrugs*
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Hound
They didn't have that in the cartoon...
Dinobot Island? Which episode had the barbarians in? I've managed to block out a fair bit of Donald Glut's jobsworth writing...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Dinobot Island? Which episode had the barbarians in? I've managed to block out a fair bit of Donald Glut's jobsworth writing...

In the cartoon the Dinobots get their alt modes after Wheeljack sees some fossils and goes

"Screw this robots in disguise thing, lets build some robots that turn into those, even though we don't have the computer that gives us personalities so they'll never be more than dumb comic stooges. Now, who wants to know the origin of the Contructicons?"
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Furman. Dinobots. Wow, this is going to rock. [/lie]

Luckily the story will be centred around each comic's protagonist in this case Shockwave.

So don't worry about the dinobots this will not be a Furman rehash...oh wait...

Seriously though as this is a spotlight on Shockwave perhaps it would have been better to throw in some well know characters rather than the “Celebrities”.
-Alex???
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Aardvark
perhaps it would have been better to throw in some well know characters rather than the “Celebrities”.

Celebrities? Chantelle and Preston are in it?!
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Oooh, it's snowing. So it's either going to be set a long, long time ago (he was left on Cybertron, though, wasn't he?), in Canada or Russia, or during one of the mini Ice Ages we've had. Well, we had them in Northern Europe along with the Black Death, roasting pigs on the frozen Thames and dying of nuclear-type winter starvation.

Bit rough on old Shockers, though, isn't it? How the hell can he make snowballs? Could he do snow angels instead, but would they be wonky? Is he dino dinner?

He does look rather thin to be out there without suitable insulation, say a big artificial fur coat, too.

Looking forward to seeing all issues resolved in this issue.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Wow, what a suprise... A Simon Furman comic that features Shockwave and the Dinobots... Whoda thunk it?!
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I'm not surprised Shockwave's lost weight seeing as his new alt mode is a mug
-Alex???
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

I'm wondering what TFVanguard would do with that extra dollar... put a new wing on the mansion, maybe? Sign Andrei Schevchenko? Fund a moonshot?
Wha? I wasn't planning on getting the comic already 'cause I've got too much other stuff on my plate right now. (Girls' birthdays, redoing the middle girl's bedroom, family trip, etc).. So the comics really fall into that 'don't need 'em, other stuff to spend money on' category. The dollar ain't gonna make a difference.

I don't remember complaining about the price, though...