Don Murphy speaks out about the new TF movie

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

Don Murphy on the upcoming TF movie part 3541

Post by Nevermore »

http://www.donmurphy.net/board/showthre ... 5#post9185
Many things to answer here on the fly.

There's a ****load of rumors that you guys take as facts out there. There are NO voice actors yet. There may be soon. I will personally make sure that our director considers Frank and the gang. I think celebrity voices for a film like this is moronic.

Someone out there is telling you that there aill no be toys for this movie from Hasbro? Dream on. That's the very reason they WANT a film from Steven Spielberg.

NOTHING is decided. IN MY OPINION knowing how Hollywood works---

1- I do not see mass shifting happening.
2- I do not see a giant robot turning into a cassette player.
3- Hasbro will not have a toy that turns into a pistol.
4- I just saw the robots in SKY CAPTAIN at Comic-Con- we want ours to be the opposite of those. Personalities!

We are NOT doing anything to do with Beasts and Dinos and ****.

I think Soundwave is the burger with cheese and sauce. I think his "tapes" are badass.

Maybe you're right- maybe he never changes.

Dunno.

Keep talking- you can tell we are really listening.

The next few weeks will have us, ala X MEN, decide on 7 core members of each team. Desanto will be there to make sure we stay true.

Your input is NOW.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

So, on the one hand he's making a variety of claims about staying true to the mythology of the classic comics and cartoons... and, on the other, the surprise and stealth element of mass-shifting which defines the early Decepticons on Earth is thrown out of the window.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Okay. He says that, knowing how Hollywood works, he personally does not see size-shifting happening?

Hardly written in stone is it. "Maybe, possibly, if things work the way I think they will, I don't reckon this is going to happen. In theory."

I may not know how Hollywood works, but I've got what I like to think is a fair understanding of what's possible with CGI.

I don't see certain things happening. I also don't see them not happening. Primarily because they are yet to happen/not-happen. Isn't linear chronology a wonderful thing?
davetherave
Protoform

Post by davetherave »

There are no cgi limits really, there is always away around things even if its just a trick of the eye, remember tfs transform fast. I think what he means is that hollywood will think it hard to beleive that a massive robot which weighs a ton can shrink to the size of a handheld device which weighs a few ounces.

But transformers are aliens which have discovered different metals, and have technilogical advantages from hollywood. At the end of the day hollywood spues out more cheese than a dairy. They try to make things better look at streetfighter & supermario. They bastardised them characters. You have to take a character as it is thats why You took it in the first place.

This film needs to get made in Japan they know how to make films. And you know tthis film will be limited cause they are gonna want a new toyline to go with this. Remember this film isn't so we can see a transformers live action movie its so we can see a big commercial, I dont care if its either just as long as it looks good and holds together well, And of course it has to be G1 all the way, if megatron is goin to have to be a tank he still has to be grey and still look similar to megatron in robot mode, or why not kill megs in the first 5 mins and bring in Galvatron [Just an Idea I won't be able to handle seeing megatron with tits as his g2 tank mode does]
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Finished your rant? Guess we don't need to watch the movie anymore, since you, like so many other fans, already know why it's going to suck beforehand...
ItsMeTrev
Protoform

Post by ItsMeTrev »

Hey giving ones opinion is what's needed here. I also read a forum for the next Superman movie and all you ever read is bashing another pointof view. This movie will be commercialized. It wont be made in Japan because SS has everything he needs here in the US, plus Ive never heard of a movie going to Japan to be made.
I think you will see mostly G1 characters but with a mix of some from Beast Wars. There should be a variety of Tformers with an ending to make another.
Sucking or not who knows. We have no idea.
dedicon
Protoform

Post by dedicon »

i actually prefer a slower transformation.makes it more climatic and supernatural.
Really want the original(basic) Rattrap's gun. Please PM me if you have one you might spare!
DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

Hoist went to Hollywood. Maybe we should bring his input into this :p

Well. If he can't see any dino's... that means no "Me Grimlock" or any of the other dinobots.

Maybe a War Within pre Earth movie would be more suitable. There would be no Megatron as a gun (Solves that problem) not so much mass shifting possibly if they are on Cybertron they would be more natural sized.
homerbot
Protoform

Post by homerbot »

Originally posted by dedicon
i actually prefer a slower transformation.makes it more climatic and supernatural.
yes but not every time that each one transforms
and if and when it comes to dvd there will probably be a scene with all the transformers transforming all slow and in the commentary they will say some crap about it taking too long

to bad they don't release special edition things with all the deleted scenes finished and added

edit: also, nevermore, as much as it may suck, it will still drag me to see
i will NEED to see it for the same reason i knew garfield was going to suck (and it did): the revival of anything i watched as a child is worth seeing at least once
Words suck. Down with words! -saysadie
To actually say which candidate has the better Iraq policy is like saying which Twinkie is more healthy. -Ultimate Weapon
I'd totally hit that Krystal chick...if she were real and sex with animals wasn't illegal. -Drspengler
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by DrEvil
Hoist went to Hollywood. Maybe we should bring his input into this :P

Executive Producer: Skullgrin!
Lattman
Protoform

Post by Lattman »

The film could be amazing or like Daredevil and Hulk utter *****
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

We are NOT doing anything to do with Beasts and Dinos and ****.

Not exactly sure what that means, but is he classifying Beast Wars in the same category as ****?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by ItsMeTrev
Ive never heard of a movie going to Japan to be made.
You remember how TF:TM was produced, right? And where TF designs were developed, by which creative team?
Originally posted by homerbot
i will NEED to see it for the same reason i knew garfield was going to suck (and it did): the revival of anything i watched as a child is worth seeing at least once
Why? Garfield looked f*cking dire, therefore I avoided it and will continue to do so. Why is it worth watching someone attempt to reinvent something for a completely shifted demographic?
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Oh! I know! I know! Because JLH is a cutie pie?

I haven't seen Garfield, but if I did, it'd only be for that reason.
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Originally posted by ItsMeTrev
Ive never heard of a movie going to Japan to be made.

Their is a movie called The Grudge shooting in Japan. However it is a remake of a Japanese made film called, Ju-on: The Grudge. The US version stars Sarah Michelle Gellar.

The upcoming Transformers movie is being done by Paramount, & Dreamworks. WIth their track record I'm leaning towards a really good piece of film. I would reserve judgement until at least a director is named. Inevitably we, the movie going audience will have to sit and stare for 2 hours.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

"We are NOT doing anything to do with Beasts and Dinos and ****."

This man is shooting his own leg. First with stupid use of "LAME" and now this. Really, I can live with the fact there's not going to be animal modes, I didn't even wait for those to be in the movie. I didn't even care about it. Still this irritated me and my wife who likes dinobots (cartoon version :( ) and would propably only another reason, besides me, for her to go to see the movie.

"There's not going to be animals in the movie, because I/we don't think it'd fit the movie."

Better? Yes.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

No Dino's doesn't mean no Grimlock, as the Ford Mustang Alternator amply shows.

If there's nomass shifting, I wonder where Primes Trailer will go...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
davetherave
Protoform

Post by davetherave »

Are they really listening to us, cause the only thing that people semm happy about is that they are making a tf movie. They say their keeping to the original mythology, but doesnt all tf deries do that. Prime and megs are always leader, they all transform they come from cybertron and have wars on earth. He doesn't seem to mention g1 at all now. Whats next there will be no transforming in the movie.

I noticed he mentioned hot shot, I'm hoping this is Hot Rod, and not that weird energon thing. Energon figure have really weird faces anyways. But hot rod shoodn't appear till the second or third movie. I hope they set it in the 80's and work thru a series of movies till present day, then they can reamke the cartoon movie. Unicron wood be a great climax to a trilogy, but they cood bring primus init.

Y no dinobots thats stupid, the dinobots weren't created cause there's dinos on earth today, they were done from research on earths past life. So the story does work. I hope he means they won't appear till the second movie.

7 core members will be rubbish, You cant have a war wiv 7 robots fighting 76 robots it will be over in secs. I want to see loads of them dieng like in the movie. I fthey want to be realistic, for instance in the cartoon they wood fire at eachother and nothing wood happen then the same shots later [in the movie] the shots do damage, i wanna see the damage I wanna see death and I wanna see loads of characters. hopefully he means 7 main characters with loads of other tfs wiv minor scripts.

I gotta feeling that we wont see any of their original alt modes, cause when I was a kid I wasn't really into classic cars etc, transformers were current, so I don't see hasbro selling loads of movie spin off merchandise with old vw beetles. If they are gonna update all the car models please don't make the same mistake as they did wiv alternators. ie: smokescreen shood of been the 350z, sideswipe shood be a the new lambroghini and so forth. This is much more logical and I'm sure if all the car companys are approached and they are told there cars will be on every silver screen across the world they can't say no. In fact if all the other companys are in it they'd be stupid to miss out.

If hasbro are putting pressure to get this film out yet, how on earth are they gonna make the film in 2 years tops. They have to design everything, working out how 2 animate them will take ages, then they still haven't decided on a director. There are gonna be plenty of technical hurdles to get over aswell. They spent ages choosing the shade of green the hulk was gonna be. Imagine how long its gonna take to design all the robots before they get liscensing from the manufactures. All the big companies are gonna have design requirements aswell.

We need Steven Spielberg to direct this he's the only person who can tackle a kiddie type film and keep it real & magical at the same time.

So the big question is what the f@*k is this film gonna be about. Cause it ain't transformers.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek

It worked quite well in the Armada cartoon, didn't it?

Edit:
Dave, don't expect anyone to reply to this "I wanna c Geewun!!!!!111!11111!1" rant...

Except maybe Cliffy, if he were around. ;)
Elita-One
Protoform

Post by Elita-One »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek

Where ever it goes, it will keep us talking and wondering about it!