Blowing up Cybertron in Stormbringer

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Terome

Blowing up Cybertron in Stormbringer

Post by Terome »

So, I know the real answer to this is: 'Because the writing is inconsistent and Megatron is a problematic character,' but here is a question for your consideration:

Why was Megatron so keen on detonating Cybertron back in Stormbringer?

He wasn't just being pragmatic in dealing with Thunderwing and catching Prime in the collateral, remember. His line to Razorclaw, 'Especially Cybertron,' that odd sort of sideways cliffhanger, implied that he'd been waiting for an excuse to smash up the old home town for ages.

And Razorclaw knows better than to say anything and he orders Divebomb or whoever to put in the really big torpedoes and hovers over the fire button. Razorclaw is, as far as we know, utterly insane and all about the Social Darwinism.

It was all very edgy at the time but I can't help but wonder, in light of what has happened in the story since, at what Megatron was getting at here. Chaos Theory establishes that he has no ideology left and basically just wants to see everyone die but also that he does look forward to a rebuilt civilisation and that whole peace through tyranny thing.

It's left now as a really weird scene with no follow up or justification. I'm not terribly keen on the older stuff being dredged up to get in the eyes and hair of the current stories but I'd be interested to know how Megatron would respond to the question, 'Why would you gratuitiously blow up your old planet?'
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Fits with the nihilism, though -- and peace needn't be on Cybertron. In this continuity they've spread pretty far across the known universe.
Terome

Post by Terome »

The spread of the Decepticons was true (or implied) back then but has since been revised to be weirdly thin.

Which is a shame, it would have been nice to have seen just what they did with all those 'resources' that they took away from the worlds they six-phased. Was there once a world or superstructure that the Decepticon called home? The Autobots had that roomy space-station thing which looked like a conference centre.

If we infer that the Decepticons were well on their way to imploding by the time of Stormbringer then I wonder if they had already lost their central infrastructure and their efforts on Earth, Mummu-Obscura and Nebulos were desperate scavengings. That doesn't line up with the fact that they were considered to be well away from the front line (which was what, Varas Centralus?) until Ore-13 showed up.

Maybe Megs was down in the dumps because he'd lost all of his chums. Shockwave and Soundwave were missing and he'd stopped talking to Starscream. Poor Megatron.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

All works a lot better if you ignore most of the bollocks released between Escalation and stuff written by James Roberts.

The idea of IDW as a single continuity is too much at odds with the variable quality.
Terome

Post by Terome »

I do like that idea and it is the much saner option. It becomes a simple case of

'Whoa, why did you want to blow up Cybertron back there, Megatron?'
'Because it's a meaningless husk of metal and I wanted to kill/piss off Prime, for my life has become an endless volley of hate.'
'Oh that makes sense. So why are you in a new body, captured by the Autobots and heading towards a trial on Justice Planet?'
'I don't want to alarm you so let's just say I had some wacky adventures.'
'I bet you did!'
'Hahaha!'
'Haha! Never change.'
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I reckon you could probably do it by cutting-and-pasting panels... four issues' worth, tops.

edit: Nah, to be serious, it might take six.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Devastation: Here's Sixshot, but he's useless. (Three pages?)
Spotlights: Frankly, Shockwave and Nightbeat say everything that needs to be said. (Two issues, trimmed, with panels of Metroplex mumbling to himself inserted.)
Revelation: Galvatron and friends show up. Throw them in the solar pool! (half an issue)
Maximum Dinobots: Shot of Grimlock unearthed by Skywatch. He explodes! Ultra Magnus takes him to prison. Shockwave goes with him because he's always wondered how he'd get on in prison. (four pages)
All Hail Megatron: Megatron falls over in the shower, thought dead. (one harrowing issue)
Bumblebee: Scene missing.
Ongoing: Megatron is depressed and hands himself in to the Autobots. But it was all a plan to get them back to Cybertron?
Galvatron is there. Cyclonus has had it up to here with him.
Everyone explodes. (one issue)

Done and dusted.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I just took it as Megatron regarding Thunderwing as such a threat there should be no hesitation in sacrificing Cybertron if it came to that, and Megs just wanted to emphasise that.

Of course, the problem there is Thunderwing turned out to be so dangerous Optimus had to shoot him in the face for a whole minute before he fell over, making Megatron's concern seem slightly OTT.

I think it's telling that Bludgeon, Sixshot and Monstructor have all returned to the fold but even IDW have given up on IDW Thunderwing. Even in flashback stories written by a mad Marvel fanboy where a mad scientists into body alteration would fit right in.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Terome

Post by Terome »

inflatable dalek wrote: I think it's telling that Bludgeon, Sixshot and Monstructor have all returned to the fold but even IDW have given up on IDW Thunderwing. Even in flashback stories written by a mad Marvel fanboy where a mad scientists into body alteration would fit right in.
Is the implication in Stormbringer that Megatron gave up on the whole 'getting upset about perversions of the natural order' deal in between him trashing Thunderwing's bedroom and casually deciding to nuke the whole planet? Because you're right, that flashback scene in MTMTE with Overlord could easily have happened with Thunderwing's leftover flasks and beakers and whatnot. Could be that his run-in at Thunderhead Pass gave him a thirst for SUPER WARRIORS, or at least SUPER WARRIORS that wouldn't die after falling into a crevasse, like poor Thunderwing.

He only wanted to stop global warming.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I took it that it wasnt the idea of a super soldier that Megatron was against, it was the bonding to a organic exo-skeleton that really sickened him. Which works in that he sees Transformers as the elite of the galaxy.
I don't want to alarm you so let's just say I had some wacky adventures.'
Bumblebee: Scene missing
Both of these made me laugh at loud and therefore get the "what weird thing are you laughing at" look from my wife.
Of course, the problem there is Thunderwing turned out to be so dangerous Optimus had to shoot him in the face for a whole minute before he fell over, making Megatron's concern seem slightly OTT.
Now, now. Thats a little unfair. Primes guns only caused Thunderwings energy levels to spike and, thanks to being ore-13, shutdown. They werent the actual cause of stopping him.

Anyone wondering how the ore-13 in RiD is working much better? hmmmm...
The idea of IDW as a single continuity is too much at odds with the variable quality.
Surely a problem with any comic that goes on for a long time (IDW will be 8 years publishing Transformer comics in October, with their main continuity covering 180+ issues if we include infestation and the digital series )

I know from picking up Batmans that the Bat logo is no guarantee of quality.

The only 2 long running series that have managed it that I've read (and to be fair thats a limted exposure) are The Walking Dead and Preacher (and both of those have had their dips).

There will always be some problems with stuff not linking up properly but I think the whole series hangs together just about but there is a gulf in tone and style (never mind quality) between infiltration and either of the two ongoings right now.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Terome wrote:'Haha! Never change.'
That was the line that got me.
Red Dave Prime wrote:The Walking Dead
The big difference there, of course, is that for the most part its all one writer's labour of love.
I like bears.