Fables is over

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Terome

Fables is over

Post by Terome »

Just polished off the very last book-sized issue of Fables. Thirteen years!

I'm a little emotional about it.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Did it come good? I disliked the Mr Dark arc (about halfway through the project run IIRC) enough to ditch the hardback that began it and get the first half as a trade paperback.

Willingham has too much of a fascination with depressing levels of character torture.

Wolf Among Us was good, though.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Still trying to track down a copy of the last trade, as Vertigo's approach of doubling-it-up as #150 meant all my LCS's copies went to people with it on their pull list.

Big fan of the "last ever X story" vignettes running through the penultimate trade though.

Agreed on the character torture thing. Cubs in Toyland was brutal. Fairest's been a nice counterpoint though.
Terome

Post by Terome »

He's a bit of a Rob Grant, isn't he? A couple of characters meet a very sticky end indeed in the finale.

I liked Cubs in Toyland though - it was an interesting break from the Dark stuff, which I agree didn't quite work despite it being a neat idea.

I think it did come out good. The series itself has been spinning its wheels for a year and saving up all the ideas for this one last splurge. The final war story between Rose and Snow ended as oddly and suddenly as it began and then we get a raft of 'The last x story ever' which make a tantalizing sketch of what plans were rattling around for each character. The Buckingham art is beautiful and there's a really nice Lan Medina sequence and a rad as heck Bryan Talbot page.

I'd pick it up. It's a great send-off. There's a playfulness to it that had been lost somewhere in the march.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Picked up the last three volume from Amazon, having been failry shit at keeping up lately. Plowed through them in short order, and I have to say, it was a nice send-off. Much as I'll miss the series, I'd much rather they wrap it up than it limp along indefinitely like so many do.

A few of the bloodier bits were more abrupt, especially as it pertains to
SPOILER! (select to read)
Beast
. One would think a character who'd been a major part of the series for so long would have had a bit more of a send-off.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Yeah, that was a jarring moment. I understand that the stakes needed to be upped but I think it was a case of that 'Last x Story Ever' being written first and then the bloody deed needing to be done somewhere along the way...
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Probably. I just find it odd that it happened so quickly. Took them forever to kill off Boy Blue, seems like they maybe could've split the difference.
Terome

Post by Terome »

SPOILER! (select to read)
Yeah, I was leafing through earlier trades in the library today and there was all sorts of set-up with Beast that went nowhere. Why'd he even move to Haven? It's treated like a big deal.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Denyer wrote:Did it come good? I disliked the Mr Dark arc (about halfway through the project run IIRC) enough to ditch the hardback that began it and get the first half as a trade paperback.

Willingham has too much of a fascination with depressing levels of character torture.

Wolf Among Us was good, though.
You should read The Elementals.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.