Dreamwave hire a third-party company to rewrite TF characters. All of them.

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

Dreamwave hire a third-party company to rewrite TF characters. All of them.

Post by Denyer »

And this is before they've even written stories to coincide with the alternate history they're developing. They're also based primarily on the toylines, so cartoon or comic only characters are unlikely to appear.

http://www.newsarama.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ul ... 1&t=000009

Oh joy... there goes my entire interest in current TF publications... this feels like someone is attempting to rewrite the rules to a roleplaying game system...

[moderator's note: the posting in News and moving to G1 is fully intentional, as it saves repeating a topic fitting both forums]
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

So... the "character guides" won't actually be based on the characters?

There's a novel concept...
Sonicron
Protoform

Post by Sonicron »

My comment about such a fact reduces itself to one simple word :
LAME. :mad:
"I'm not as think as you drunk I am, honesst, ossifer !!"
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Stop crying and roasting the meal before it's served. :)
The idea behind it isn't that bad at all, if just the comics were written exclusively by Furman, it could become some sort of "Ultimate G1". And any continuity the Budiansky stories aren't part of (you may call Sarracini's G1 mini "storyless", but at least the small heaps of story you could find in it were of a better level than the terribly infantile Budiansky stories) can't be that bad. :D

And they're definitely putting a lot of resources into this project. Don't tell me it's just for the sake of making money. That's what Armada is.

Just wait and see. Marvel's "Ultimate" books do work, after all. :)

- Torsten
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

BTW, Brady isn't too well informed, after all... He lists the "four G1 continuities" as "toy, animated, movie and comics"...
Uh... What's a "toy continuity"? The one you created yourself with your toys? :D
And "movie" and "animated"... isn't that the same thing?
It seems like he doesn't know about the UK comics continuity and the Japanese cartoons... ;)

- Torsten
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Of course he doesn't know anything. If he did, then that would be informed journalism, which you just can't have for news about transformers.

As far as the UK comics go, they fit in with the US comic, therefore, they're the same continuity.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by PaladinPrime
Of course he doesn't know anything. If he did, then that would be informed journalism, which you just can't have for news about transformers.

As far as the UK comics go, they fit in with the US comic, therefore, they're the same continuity.

Nope. "G.I. Joe and the Transformers" isn't part of UK continuity. :D
BTW, another problem concerning the "year" = "millennium" system... Bumblebee (Pretender) is depiced on the page. How can Bumblebee be on Prime's team and lying dormant on board the Ark but become Goldbug in the fourth "millennium" and then become Bumblebee (Pretender) again in the fifth one? :rolleyes:

- Torsten
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

I think that by the "toy continuity" they are referring to the tech specs from the boxes. Granted, a lot of them were written by Budiansky, if I'm not mistaken, but I'm assuming that's why he lists them as a separate continuity.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I think the format is pretty cool. The Transformers Universe Profiles were so boring. At least their trying to bring something new and creative to the table. They said that their adding certain characters that didn't have toys into the profiles as well... so we might get to see Profiles for Unicron, Devcon, Death's Head, Emirate Xaron, etc, after all.

I'm looking forward to what they can add to characters. We all already know what the characters have been through in prior continuities... so this is like telling an entire different story... rather than re-telling info that we already have.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

My interest in getting these books has suddenly decreased, for some reason...

...even though I'll end up picking them up, no matter what. :p
good_ol_nate
Protoform

Post by good_ol_nate »

Tis a shame this has happened.
All Hasbro had to do was ask Marvel to work with Dreamwave.
Then the Original Continuity could be used.
Right let's just hire some no name to write the continuity.
Good idea. :rolleyes:
But of course Hasbro does things the hard way.
Hasbro can't use continuity because of legalities.
I don't believe that at all.

The fandom has been played for fools once again.
"Hagane No Mougyuu" (Steel Wild Bull)
-GaoBurrakku
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

They seem not to have read the later profiles.

-clip-
“The way the old Marvel series ran, they basically took the Tech Specs and blew them out into two or three paragraphs. They didn’t add much, if anything, to continuity. These who’s who things are usually relatively boring - there are some stats listed, but all -everyone wants to do is look at the pictures."
-clip-

Ruckus´ profile 268 words:
http://www.ntfa.net/universe/english/Ruckus.htm
(only profile part, not abilities and weaknesses)

Also, I´ve always found Budiansky´s profiles a good reading even if they are only scratches. I´m not excited about getting a "what if" profile book from people who don´t seem to know much about TF outside of the basic US continuities.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by BigMaki
I think that by the "toy continuity" they are referring to the tech specs from the boxes. Granted, a lot of them were written by Budiansky, if I'm not mistaken, but I'm assuming that's why he lists them as a separate continuity.

Spot on. Just off the top of my head we have 'Con City Commander Galvatron, Autobot Protector Rodimus Prime, Autobot Wreck-Gar and Decepticon Gnaw.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Originally posted by Nevermore
Stop crying and roasting the meal before it's served. :)
The idea behind it isn't that bad at all, if just the comics were written exclusively by Furman, it could become some sort of "Ultimate G1". And any continuity the Budiansky stories aren't part of (you may call Sarracini's G1 mini "storyless", but at least the small heaps of story you could find in it were of a better level than the terribly infantile Budiansky stories) can't be that bad. :D

And they're definitely putting a lot of resources into this project. Don't tell me it's just for the sake of making money. That's what Armada is.

Just wait and see. Marvel's "Ultimate" books do work, after all. :)

- Torsten

I agree with you this is long overdue and had to be done for Dreamwave! :) :D
I don't want or need "an ultimate G1 timeline" though I want a timeline that works for Dreamwave and Dreamwave only (I do like thier TF comics after all) So they don't have to deal with all of
Marvel's stuff. The Marvel stuff was great but it worked for Marvel
and Marvel isn't publishing the Transformers anymore (accept it!)
That timeline was messed up to begin with.

Even if Dreamwave could use it and I was writing the G1 series I wouldn't use any of it! To messed up and I would go insane trying to figure it all out!

Some you need to accept the fact that in order for the Transformers to contiue to grow some thing will have to CHANGE It is not easy to accept some of the changes to the old timeline that we grew up and love but if it doesn't change it the Transfomers will die!

I love the old TF comics and cartoons but it is time to let it go and
embrace the future!

I'm not trying to start touble or anything it is just time that we accept the fact that things change or they die.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Oh, I can live with a 'merged' timeline... however, the specific announcement that previously featured characters are to be rewritten doesn't exactly bode well... it's being presented as a fait accompli, and not even by DW but by another company. That is simple arrogance.

Most pertinent point so far goes to Brend:
So... the "character guides" won't actually be based on the characters?
epsilon supreme

Post by epsilon supreme »

It's not a big deal to me... we'll do what we've always done- take the cool, fun stories we're given, ignore the lame stuff, and enjoy our own personal continiuties. I'm just waiting to see if we get good stories about Cybertron while everyone was in stasis on Earth.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

M'eh... if it's bad, I won't buy it or acknowledge it... a bit like the G1 mini-series, which is currently in the same canonical level to me as those Ladybid books.
ProckoZero
Protoform

Post by ProckoZero »

I kinda like this idea better than with having to come up with some excuse how Superion and Wheeljack appeared in cartoon continuity in 2005 and beyond (even if Wheeljack only was in the movie for a brief part...and was dead.)

"Someone may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

If the second million years is the '85 line, and the third million years the '86 year line, there's a million years between 1984 and 2005, right?
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

EDIT: Just looked at the post that I missed. Yeah, what are you talking about, Nevermore? Year=milennium?