How to score toy scores for reviews...

Working area for reviews.

Moderators: Skyquake87, ganon578

Savannahtron

How to score toy scores for reviews...

Post by Savannahtron »

So with Cliffy pointing out an obvious defect in continuity with the way people mark items, lets use this thread to bring the reviewers under a general consensus of how to mark figures and what the marks mean.

I'll post more tonight when I get home, but I think we can take care of bidness on reviews :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

In general, I do think marks given are too high - 9s and 10s are handed out to just about anything. 9 should be pretty much perfect, 10 is perfect plus (say, something very innovative that works very well (Leader Brawl's transformation and fun factors come into play here).

Durability marks - people should look at how much these things are likely to hold up to regular play (not for kids, because I think most readers are 20-somethings; just being regularly transformed and the like). Looking at parts which might break or stress easily because of poor quality materials, bits which'll fade, bits which get rubbed in transformation. It's difficult to guess for newer figures, I'll grant.

Transformation marks - I'd say this should be a 1=crap 10=great quality rating, not a complexity rating. Complexity is something different... Transformers have had some great complex transformations - Movie Ironhide, the Alternators Subara, MP Prime. But complex doesn't equal good - see the Alternators Mustang and toys of the vein that you just don't enjoy transforming. Conversely, simple can be great - the Cyberjets, Laser Rod Op and so on. Simple can also be crap, though - the Brainmasters spring to mind here. 9 or 10 would be it's so much fun to transform you can barely keep it in one mode.

Price - should reflect general going rate (not a reduced price or lucky find on ebay) and more value for money than relative value. For example, Scout figures might be cheap as chips, but if they're crap they'd still get a low price rating in my book; whereas, say, MP Prime might be pricy but still delivers.

I do feel there should be a Look or Display rating - something in the summary that simply says whether it looks any good in its' various modes.

I would also recommend people wait a little longer before reviewing some figures... The amount of toys I've thought were absolutely great for the first few days I had them, then got bumped into another box by a new arrival and rarely looked at them again is unbelievable (some of my own Gobots reviews, stoked by a cunning ebay win or need to justify an overexpensive purchase, make me wince, which is why the section's due for an overhaul). I'd suggest possibly extending the deadline for reviews after they were called; they could still be posted here but maybe not proofed and the like until a week or two after they were posted so the reviewer could consider how often they've picked up the figure in that time.

But then if you listened to me we'd award extra marks to anything that weighs a shitload thanks to being mainly diecast, so...
Clay

Post by Clay »

Everything Cliffy says is right, except for the dig about the scouts. He's being a poopiehead there. THE LITTLE BIKE IS FUN.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The little bike sexually assaults children and thinks Jews should be gassed. I'm still trying to work out how the assortment includes hands-down the best offscreen character and yet the rest are such utter crap.
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Ewww....

So a rating system for the marks:

0 or 1 out of 10=absolute garbage

2-4=very poor

5-6=average

7-8=good

9=almost perfect

10=perfect plus some sort of bonus that gives the figure a distinction in class range.

I think the reviews sometimes have the fanbois taint as well, which is why I read my reviews at least twice before I post them. I have a folder at home with individual folders for each of the reviews I do, including photos as well as a Word document with the review outline. I know the fun about claiming a review should not be influenced with objectivity.

I think incorporating a Display rating would be cool, maybe incorporating articulation pointing out any obscure movement points such as the HA Barricade's hip joints. A lot of us only buy the figures because we like the robot mode or the vehicle mode, but lately I have only bought figures that I like all modes.

So a good start, maybe said mods could implement a sticky for us? Maybe incorporate it with the review format thread. I'll write up a draft when I get home...
Transformer Kamen

Post by Transformer Kamen »

I like the articulation idea. Maybe merge it with a general posability score? Things like balance, looseness/tightness, and movement obstructions could all fold in there.

This whole thread is a good idea, actually. I know I tend to focus more on the content of the review rather than the scores, but a more standard measure couldn't hurt.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I agree with Cliffy about the transformation. The marks should be about the design of the transformation, not the complexity.

Also, I think we could get an 'Articulation' or 'General look' rating, perhaps?
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

Thats a fine point to be had about the transformation scoring.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Maybe change of the name Price to Value? Price sounds more like the price itselft, which means cheaper or on sale items scores higher.
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

Cliffjumper wrote:I do feel there should be a Look or Display rating - something in the summary that simply says whether it looks any good in its' various modes.
Only thing is, shouldn't this already be covered in the review body? Now, with the more common alternate modes (cars, fighter jets, etc), rating such a thing seems like a good idea. But then there's the one- and two-shotters that don't compare well to each other...

Not that a one/two shotter can't look good or not, I'm just trying to think in the terms of comparison...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Well, it should all be covered in the main review, the scores are just a summary to tidy it off; most reviews also cover any breakable bits, the articulation etc. in the body as well.

Not sure what you mean by one/two-shotters - modes that aren't used too much?
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

Yeah... I was mainly thinking of the post-movie G1s at the time - Kup, Sureshot, Misfire, etc. Since they have imaginary designs...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Well, the mark would be for how good they look, not how accurate they are.
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

LOL... my immediate thought was "Well wouldn't that be excessively relative?". But I went to go do some other things here at my desk, found myself messing with Universe/Classics Cyclonus while I waited for the puter to load something, and then it occurred to me that well, any ROBOT mode is pretty imaginary as well... :)
kupimus aka(clocker)
Protoform

Post by kupimus aka(clocker) »

I dont think there should be continuity for the marks, because the reviews are just certain fans opinions(and this is a fansite). and this being a fansite of course the scores given are somewhat high. i think its better that u review a toy on the first day u recieve it , because toys are more about impact than reviewing it say a year after getting it. anyone would get bored of anything after a week.

Really we should have two reviews for each toy for comparison.
Let this be thy final lesson monster, no man is e'er defeated till his last breath is drawn! And e'en THEN, 'tis most unwise for the victor to assume the battle is ended, for with god and man, a war is ne'er over till the ultimate wrong is set aright and the final villain is DONE!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

kupimus aka(clocker) wrote:I dont think there should be continuity for the marks, because the reviews are just certain fans opinions(and this is a fansite). and this being a fansite of course the scores given are somewhat high. i think its better that u review a toy on the first day u recieve it , because toys are more about impact than reviewing it say a year after getting it. anyone would get bored of anything after a week.

Do what? So you'd happily spend, say, a three-figure sum on a toy and be bored with it within a week? Congratulations, you're everything that's wrong with Transformers fans, a mindless junkie after a quick fix of mediocrity that can then be dropped in a box and forgotten about.

This being a fan site doesn't mean scores should be high at all. Otherwise you might as well not bother scoring stuff at all - the "It's a Transformer, it's obviously better than anything that's not a Transformer" attitude is again indicative of the sort of narrow-minded brandboy zombie who wouldn't know a good toy if someone hit them around the head with it.

EDIT: Hahaha, nice one guys, someone posing as a fandrone to get a rise out of ol' Cliffy, good work =D
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Cliffjumper wrote:Do what? So you'd happily spend, say, a three-figure sum on a toy and be bored with it within a week? Congratulations, you're everything that's wrong with Transformers fans, a mindless junkie after a quick fix of mediocrity that can then be dropped in a box and forgotten about.

This being a fan site doesn't mean scores should be high at all. Otherwise you might as well not bother scoring stuff at all - the "It's a Transformer, it's obviously better than anything that's not a Transformer" attitude is again indicative of the sort of narrow-minded brandboy zombie who wouldn't know a good toy if someone hit them around the head with it.

EDIT: Hahaha, nice one guys, someone posing as a fandrone to get a rise out of ol' Cliffy, good work =D

Hahaha, Kupi got me too. Good one Kupi. That is the brand of humor that smacks of sardonic flavor of the month :) I have not had a chance to write a slobbering Fanbois review yet, but I just got the SDCC 2008 Nemesis Prime and I think I might.
Transformer Kamen

Template Update Draft

Post by Transformer Kamen »

Already. After reading this thread, I've made a update review template, detailed below. Any thoughts or additional suggestions?

Name: Character's name
Function: What does the character do?
Subgroup: Toyline and/or price class

Character's bio and quotes. Most can be found at TFU.info or Hasbro.com. Please use italics to differentiate this part from the rest of the review.

Some people like to start with an introduction of the character's history, including previous toys, or a short description of the toyline the character is a part of.

Alternate Mode:

Description, points of interest, features, etc.

Robot Mode:

Marks out of ten for the following:

Transformation Design: How enjoyable is the transformation? 1=@$&#! 10=:)
Durability: What are potential problems over time or during play? 1=Breaks easily, 10=A brick.
Fun: Is it fun to play with? 1=BORING! 10=More fun than monkeys!
Aesthetics: Is this a good display piece? 1=Eyes...bleeding 10=Immaculate
Useful Articulation: How much positive articulation does the toy have? 1=Very little 10=Sky's the limit
Value/Price: Was the item worth the retail price? 1=expensive, 10=bargain.
Overall: Remember 5 is average. 1=leave it on the shelf, 10=grab
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Transformer Kamen wrote:Already. After reading this thread, I've made a update review template, detailed below. Any thoughts or additional suggestions?

Name: Character's name
Function: What does the character do?
Subgroup: Toyline and/or price class

Character's bio and quotes. Most can be found at TFU.info or Hasbro.com. Please use italics to differentiate this part from the rest of the review.

Some people like to start with an introduction of the character's history, including previous toys, or a short description of the toyline the character is a part of.

Alternate Mode:

Robot Mode:

Marks out of ten for the following:

Transformation: How well is the transformation thought out? 1=Need psychic powers 10=A Caveman could do it!
Durability: What are potential problems over time or during play? 1=Breaks easily, 10=A brick.
Fun: Is it fun to play with? 1=BORING! 10=More fun than monkeys!
Aesthetics: Is this a good display piece? 1=Eyes...bleeding 10=Immaculate
Articulation: How can the toy be posed? 1=The arms move..maybe 10=Sky's the limit
Value/Price: Was the item worth the retail price? 1=expensive, 10=bargain.
Overall: Remember 5 is average. 1=leave it on the shelf, 10=grab
Maybe at the end (before the scores) a 'Final Remarks' section? Basically a short summary of the pros/cons of the figure?
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

I just posted a review for Universe Darkwind using the new template and point scoring scheme. If you would all take a look at it, and see if it fits well and the point assignments make sense, that input would be great...