Reviews chosen to be uploaded?

Working area for reviews.

Moderators: Skyquake87, ganon578

Glitcher
Protoform

Reviews chosen to be uploaded?

Post by Glitcher »

Hi, Glitcher here. Long time listener, first time caller. I have a question concerning the reviews. What are the deciding factors that determine which ones are uploaded to the main review page and which are confined to the forums? I know the quality of writing is a deciding factor, but there are some useful reviews like the Reverend's Stunticons review or zeoman4.5's Movie Deluxe Swindle review that are wholly ignored. Why? I want to contribute, but I also want to know that I'm not wasting my time.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

I've been wondering that too, as my finished review for Vector Prime has been in limbo for about a month.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Clay

Post by Clay »

Mostly limited time on my part. In the year and half I've been managing the toy section, I've only flat-out deleted maybe six reviews. Ones that linger in the forum usually need a greater amount of grammar / structure correction, or have multiple reviews bundled into one thread (like Megacyber's Predaking review) that need to be broken apart to get the code from them.

It's probably 30% perceived difficulty / 70% laze on my part, but reviews that require less proofing and editing definitely go up faster. I do try to grab older reviews first so as not to pick-and-choose too much.
Glitcher
Protoform

Post by Glitcher »

:eyebrow: Shouldn't that be of greater concern to you, Clay? People here often put a lot of effort into writing their reviews, and I think the least you could do to show your gratitude is to give them the attention they deserve. Reveiwers will think their work will simply fall on deaf ears unless you set an example.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

There are only so many hours in the day and Clay is pretty much a one man show at the moment due to unforseen circumstances.

Let's put it this way, there's no significant difference to the reviews being in this forum than there is to them being uploaded to the site proper. If anything, them being in here allows for greater interactivity.

It can't be all that bad considering you've managed to find them in here too.

We all have lives outside of TFArchive and that often gets in the way of things around here.

Sit down, relax, give the horse a feedbag. We'll get to it when it's gotten to.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Everyone involved in the site on any level, from uploading to writing to even posting is doing so in their own spare time. Clay's helping everyone by getting involved in proofing and uploading - staff and reviewers. Sometimes after a hard day down the Salt Mines or wherever we've got him slaving away at his rewarding job when he logs on here I guess he feels like kicking around the other forums (Clay's a moderator as well, which involves a bit of 'work' on top). it happens to us all - I haven't rewritten my G2 Go-Bot reviews lately because I just haven't felt like doing it when I'm logged on... There're lots of people contributing reviews, and that's great, fantastic stuff, but when there's only one person putting them up there's obviously going to be something of a funnel and a need for patience.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Well if Warp paid us. We should form a union...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Hound
Well if Warp paid us. We should form a union...

You mean he doesn't pay you? Hahaha, you fool, you've been doing this for free?
Hound

Post by Hound »

STFU Newb!!!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Glitcher
Shouldn't that be of greater concern to you, Clay?
You're unlikely to get much of a friendly/polite response if you start having a go at people for stuff they do voluntarily. Whether it's the language barrier or something else, you're coming across as decidedly brusque.

People can help by using the writing template, spell-checking, and generally keeping the time to move stuff into site pages down.

Real-life comes first.

(If anyone we know a bit and can therefore trust with editing / proofreading stuff in this forum directly is up for it, there's a post waiting for you. PM me or post in here... :))
Clay

Post by Clay »

Originally posted by Denyer
People can help by using the writing template, spell-checking, and generally keeping the time to move stuff into site pages down.

Exactly. I don't care if someone's ideas and critiques eclipse their ability to write, but it does slow me down to correct those reviews compared to the reviews that require only minor editing.

And I've also tried to accomodate the fact that I sometimes lag behind on the site updates by only writing three reviews this year so as to not make the toy section seem like a monologue updated on whim. He apparently didn't consider that.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Incidentally, are Wade and Auros still active in editing? I know Sades has job and other stuff that means she won't be around for a while.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Incidentally, are Wade and Auros still active in editing? I know Sades has job and other stuff that means she won't be around for a while.

Not since I've been handling updates, no.
Transformer Kamen

Post by Transformer Kamen »

I'm actually kind of glad that reviews aren't posted to the site instantly. It gives me time to attempt to edit the suck out on my own.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Originally posted by Transformer Kamen
I'm actually kind of glad that reviews aren't posted to the site instantly. It gives me time to attempt to edit the suck out on my own.

Actually, you do just fine. The only consistent mistake you make is not putting a space before (parentheses). Other than that, your reviews are pretty clean :).
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I've got to agree with Warp that it's not the end of the world either... not like Thingy couldn't find the reviews or anything... Could it be some people would get more of an ego ride out of having stuff on the main site rather than on the board (he says, in a tone carefully pitched between querying and rhetorical).
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I've just realised that Luke and Sades aren't assigned to this forum at all -- they're "cascaded" from the main Toys forum. Whilst I'm cascaded from TF forums in general for purpose of receiving post reports (only reason I'm not on other categories is because I have nothing to do with the RPG or AWF.)
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Anyway Clay, Thanks for posting my review. Now I need to find something else to review...
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Incidentally, are Wade and Auros still active in editing?

Unfortunately, I've not had the time to edit reviews like I used to, given the way life has worked out for the last year or so, but once things equal out (and I finish moving) I'm going to try and get back into things.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Gimme a yell then and I'll add you back to this subforum.