Preview of Micromasters #1 w/Interview

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Bombshell

Preview of Micromasters #1 w/Interview

Post by Bombshell »

From the Newsarama Forums.

Dreamwave has provided Newsarama with a five page preview of Transformers: Micromasters #1, shipping the last week of June.

Earlier in the year, Newsaama spoke with the miniseries' creative team, and learned more about the diminutive robots in disguise.

Micromasters, Dreamwave’s four-issue limited series by writers Adam Patyk and Brad Mick with art by Rob Ruffs, introduces a special type of Transformers: a group of robots slightly smaller than your average Transformers.

“Basically the Micromasters are itsy, bitsy Transformers. The Micromasters are actually a new breed of Transformers created specifically to help the Autobots and Decepticons survive the final battles leading up to the catastrophic event known as the ‘Great Shutdown.’ That’s right, ala The War Within [miniseries], this series will take place in Cybertron’s past,” Mick told Newsarama.

According to co-writer Patyk, the Micromasters are the youth of the Transformers universe. “The Micromasters never really appeared in any cartoons outside of Japan, so this comic is going to establish our definitive view on the characters, their world, and how they fit into the overall Transformers mythos.

“Micromasters were developed because the Transformers were using up all their energy through their constant warfare. So, they come up with these smaller, more energy-efficient robots to help them conserve fuel and keep from losing ground. The problem is that since most of the Micromasters are young and newly created, they start going through a natural cycle of rebellion and wondering why they’re struggling on behalf of the people that have doomed them to constantly fight for their lives. Even for robots, war is a horrifying thing, and some of the Micromasters just can’t handle it. They start asking, ‘Why are we doing this?’

“They’re confused and frustrated, because they’ve basically been conscripted into a situation they didn’t ask for and don’t want to be in. They’re basically kids reacting to terrifying and hostile circumstances in a way that’s natural for them, so they have their own rivalries and high school-ish caste system going on while they’re in the middle of this massive external conflict.”

http://www.newsarama.com/DreamWave/Mirc ... _cover.jpg

http://www.newsarama.com/DreamWave/Mirc ... 1_01-2.jpg

http://www.newsarama.com/DreamWave/Mirc ... r01_03.jpg

http://www.newsarama.com/DreamWave/Mirc ... r01_04.jpg

http://www.newsarama.com/DreamWave/Mirc ... r01_05.jpg
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

This is going to suck so badly:

Transformers MicroMasters
Brattish small Transformers with out-of-place Earth modes.
Just drop the bloody franchise already, Dreamwave.
Strafe

Post by Strafe »

I dunno. I'm holding out hope for it. So long as it isn't too ridiculous, it should go over well.

The cover art doesn't reassure me tho. Ultra Magnus looks like crap.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

So why, having established wonderful design work for TWW in general, are they throwing it out of the f*cking window first opportunity they get?

Helicopters... check.
Beach buggy trucks... check.
Sports cars... check.
Tyres all round... check.

Cybertron's past must have been a laugh a minute with all those humans milling around several million years ago.

To say nothing of the plot sounding like a cross between Grease and Short Circuit.
Strafe

Post by Strafe »

Originally posted by Denyer
So why, having established wonderful design work for TWW in general, are they throwing it out of the f*cking window first opportunity they get?

Helicopters... check.
Beach buggy trucks... check.
Sports cars... check.
Tyres all round... check.

That....

I have no answer for.

=/
Strafe. You're a dick. Ishin_ookami - Dec 1st 2003
Grandmaster Shockwaeve
Protoform

Post by Grandmaster Shockwaeve »

they start going through a natural cycle of rebellion and wondering why they’re struggling on behalf of the people that have doomed them to constantly fight for their lives. Even for robots, war is a horrifying thing, and some of the Micromasters just can’t handle it. They start asking, ‘Why are we doing this?’ They’re confused and frustrated, because they’ve basically been conscripted into a situation they didn’t ask for and don’t want to be in

Hey, it's Armada 2! Except that instead of pissed off, rebellious Minicons, we have pissed off, "high-schoolish," rebellious Micromasters.

I like the idea of seeing Countdown and his rocket, but... what the hell is supposed to be going on? The only thing the last page is telling me is "Exodus"...
Hang on to your ego.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Who is "Mirco MAster"? :confused:
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I can't believe they haven't bothered giving them a WW style make over, are they worried we won't recognise the charecters unless they look exactly the same:wall:

And while the charecters may only have apeared in the Japanese cartoon, they did apear in the comic on both sides of the Atlantic so this isn't quite the unexplored territory Dreamwave thinks it is. Admitadly the US strip featured one of them taking up Wrestling, which is better forgotten, but the couple of UK strips featuring them were quite good and deserve recognition.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Arctos Prime
Protoform

Post by Arctos Prime »

Here's my attempt to give my opinion on the lack of War Within influence. i think that they are trying to go with the idea for the G1 cartoon, where the character models were exactly the same as their earth modes. if they still transform in to Earthen modes, my theory is F**ked. :rolleyes:
"just wait, one day Soundwave and Shockwave will finally admit that they are Megatrons bitches. same for Cyclonus & Scourge with Galvatron"
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

...that was the best they could come up with? they are small therefore they must be teenagers?........just when i thought i had the definitive list why i dont buy dreamwave comics they give me another reason to add to it.
inflatable dalek

In the above links their vehicle modes seem to look the same (though it's hard to tell on my moniter).
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
I can't believe they haven't bothered giving them a WW style make over, are they worried we won't recognise the charecters unless they look exactly the same
Most people won't recognise the bloody characters anyway... I doubt very much they'll play any significant role in the on-going, for instance...

Arctos, they're in Earth alt-modes in those preview pages.
Originally posted in article
According to co-writer Patyk, the Micromasters are the youth of the Transformers universe. “The Micromasters never really appeared in any cartoons outside of Japan, so this comic is going to establish our definitive view on the characters, their world, and how they fit into the overall Transformers mythos.
ie, He knows f*ck-all about available source material, but someone mentioned in passing that some Micromasters appeared in Japanese animation.
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Who's betting that DW would go out of business if they lost the TF license
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

They'd struggle. They've ditched or forced into hiatus their home-grown titles... the only hope they have is milking the TF cash cow until they finally piss off consumers sufficiently to kill casual interest.

Unfortunately, that means a host of lowest-common-denominator titles with as many variant covers as they can get away with until the cow's owner takes it away for its own good.

They'd be best plowing the money they've got from TFs into their own titles, but there's no indication they can handle them any better...
Arctos Prime
Protoform

Post by Arctos Prime »

Arctos, they're in Earth alt-modes in those preview pages.

Alright, i'm not a big appreciator of the Micromasters. The only ones i'm certain i know about are the sixcombiners.:wall:
"just wait, one day Soundwave and Shockwave will finally admit that they are Megatrons bitches. same for Cyclonus & Scourge with Galvatron"
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I'm significantly more worried about them being punkass teenagers than having Earth alt-modes myself...
inflatable dalek

The letters page in Energon 24 mentions some sort of Armada crossover, minicons perhaps?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

*grimace*
Trollking
Protoform

Post by Trollking »

Weren't there G1 micromaster toys? Grandmaster ya putz, you beat me to the minicon reference.:glance: But that's exactly what it sounds like. Now all they need is some damn humans to further kill the comics.
bluekatt
Protoform

Re: Preview of Micromasters #1 w/Interview

Post by bluekatt »

Originally posted by Bombshell

[/B]

ah so that was not a micromaster i saw climbing on top of the empire state or wresteling with a human and another micromaster or who held a airfield hostage or kidnapped ratchet or dragged bludgeon around or saw primus in the comics
i must have imagined it

and that were certainly not micromasters in victory or micromasters who were attacking the destron generals in zone
must have been something else as well

no the micromasters have never appeared anywhere outside japanese cartoons certainly not in any cartoons the series are not dubbed and avialble on internet off course not

just that little snippet where patyk displayed his mass igorance of what has gone before regarding the micromasters convinced me that this wil be a big a **** up as vol 1 was
possibly a lot worse

the art looks nice but thats to be expected of dw al flash no substance

oh and if they loose the tf license they wil die no doubt about it

oh and dalek the letters page does not explicitley mentiona direct crossover ebtween armada and G1 they might mean that micromasters are like minicons in size and might appeal to armada fans

yes i know it sounds s upid but its something i would expect from dw
and if you cut your self you wil think you are happy

come as you are as you were as i want you to be come doused in mud soaked in bleach come as a friend as a known enemy