IDW tweets new Drift: Empire of Stone mini-series!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

IDW tweets new Drift: Empire of Stone mini-series!

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Really?

They wrote Drift out of MTMTE for this?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Doesn't really fill me with hope, but maybe it'll be more like his Zsasz story than his Riddler one or AHM.
Bucquoy

Post by Bucquoy »

McCarthy... *sigh*
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

Does he have dirt on the top brass at IDW or something?
SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I think he plays the "I'm not Mike Costa!" card. Even though the Mars Attacks comic seems to have been well received I won't be buying any more McCarthy comics after he was such a tool when he showed up here to lie about AHM's sales figures before going off in a huff. It takes a mighty effort to be the biggest dick in modern Transformers comics, but he manages.... fourth place comfortably.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I gotta ask : who are the top three?

Edit: guessing lee, costa, Schmidt?
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

Mind you, Mike Costa seems to be doing alright now he doesn't have to worry about robots and their habits - he's got Alan Moore and Kieron Gillan doing something for his current project:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/06/23/ ... in-jordan/
SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Red Dave Prime wrote:I gotta ask : who are the top three?

Edit: guessing lee, costa, Schmidt?
That's a pretty impressive list. Maybe we need a fifth to round out the top five?
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Who was that colourist from the marvel era that Dalek keeps slagging in the solar pool? Yomtov or something like that? Maybe him.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Red Dave Prime wrote:Who was that colourist from the marvel era that Dalek keeps slagging in the solar pool? Yomtov or something like that? Maybe him.
So we have the 5 biggest dicks in modern TF comics (in no particular order):

1. Pat Lee
2. Mike Costa
3. Andy Schmidt
4. Shane McCarthy
5. Whoever this Yomtov guy is

Any votes for anyone else?

Also, might need a separate list for non-comic TF dicks...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Death's Head wrote:Mind you, Mike Costa seems to be doing alright now he doesn't have to worry about robots and their habits - he's got Alan Moore and Kieron Gillan doing something for his current project:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/06/23/ ... in-jordan/

Phew, I can't tell you how relieved I am to hear he's doing OK. He's probably helped by God being a much easier character to write for than a giant robot, it's not as if he's also an immortal ethereal being. [Cheap shot based on no knowledge of the series].

As for the most annoying... I don't really count Dreamwave as part of the modern era at this point (it was over ten years ago now) but in no particular order:

1: Andy Schmidt: Useless editor, and insanely smug with it.

2: Mike Costa: Useless writer, and insanely smug with it.

3: Don Figeroa: "I've had enough of Transformers, I'm going to leave right now even though I've only got one issue left on my current series because I'm so sure I'm off to bigger and better things there's no way that extra pay check would ever be of any use.

Ohhhhhh can I come back? Pleaaaaaaaaaaase? Even though I've clearly still had enough of Transformers and am going to do art that is obviously taking the piss. I promise not to go dancing off in the middle of an arc I'm supposed to be drawing just because I suddenly think I can get bigger and better work again.

Oh".

Goes higher than McCarthy on the grounds he was a well liked and respected artist who wound up pissing all that up the wall for ultimately no gain whatsoever (IIRC Cliffy got a PR email about some other giant robot series he'd created a couple of years ago that went exactly nowhere and that was all she wrote for his attempts to make the big time).

I wouldn't go for five people, I am not a bitter vindictive man.

On this series: The big problem is going to that the version of Drift that everyone likes is a complete and utter pisstake of McCarthy's original conception of him. I'll take the Cybertronian hippy smack head over the guy from his first mini-series who was so awesome Megatron gave a big speech about how awesome he was anyday.

Of course, the only reason for him to get another mini when, to the best of my knowledge, no one was clamouring for it is the name will (hopefully) have some more recognition amongst casual fans thanks to Bay and IDW are trying to cash in on that. Giving it to McCarthy rather than one of the good writers is probably a sop to him having made no money from a character he created being in a multi-million dollar film rather than because he was the best man for the job.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Seems that touched a nerve, Dalek. Nice to vent a little?
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

The original mini-series while not great wasn't awful either (I would rather read it than Maximum Dinobots, Revelation, and Heart of Darkness I mean compared to those turds Drift is solid gold). I t was a big pile of bland OK. It was your standard "misled warrior seeks redemption"-type story.

So I'm interested in what Drift: Empire of the Stone is about.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Cyberstrike nTo wrote:The original mini-series while not great wasn't awful either (I would rather read it than Maximum Dinobots, Revelation, and Heart of Darkness I mean compared to those turds Drift is solid gold). I t was a big pile of bland OK. It was your standard "misled warrior seeks redemption"-type story.

So I'm interested in what Drift: Empire of the Stone is about.
Huh. I read Drift and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. It came in one of the Hardcover collections, I think, and I was pleasantly surprised by it.

I recently re-read Max Dinos and changed my mind on it. The first time through I really didn't like it but it was better in the re-reading than I expected. I actually really enjoyed it and I've always thought Revelation was really good but then again I re-read Escalation and it was much worse than my memory of it.

I've never read Heart of Darkness. The preview was enough to put me off. I'm probably going to buy the remaining Hardcovers I don't have at some point so I'll read it when I get those. I expect to hate it given what I've heard.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Neuronutter wrote:Huh. I read Drift and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. It came in one of the Hardcover collections, I think, and I was pleasantly surprised by it.

I recently re-read Max Dinos and changed my mind on it. The first time through I really didn't like it but it was better in the re-reading than I expected. I actually really enjoyed it and I've always thought Revelation was really good but then again I re-read Escalation and it was much worse than my memory of it.

I've never read Heart of Darkness. The preview was enough to put me off. I'm probably going to buy the remaining Hardcovers I don't have at some point so I'll read it when I get those. I expect to hate it given what I've heard.
Heart of Darkness, Maximum Dinobots, Revelations, and the IDW/EA Comics Dragon Age mini-series are the four worst comic book series I ever read and believe me I've read a lot of bad comics but these turds are IMHO so awful that there is nothing to redeem them at all.

IMHO Drift wasn't bad, but isn't good either. It was a typical misled hero seeks redemption story told in a standard manner by an average writer. It's story is a lot better and a lot more enjoyable than the four turds I mentioned above and I would rather re-read Drift than any of them. So it has that going for it. To me the artwork and coloring are the best things in the mini-series.

I find it kind of funny that McCarthy had to write Drift's origin story backwards because of IDW. He wrote AHM which introduced Drift, then the the Transformers Spotlight: Drift which is actually set after the mini-series and before AHM, then the Drift mini-series which during the war.

I don't think, but I'm not 100% certain. that the Drift hardcover (mine is buried and I don't feel like digging it out) doesn't reprint the mini-series and spotlight in the correct chronological order but the spotlight then the mini-series. Again I could be wrong on that.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Ah, no love for revelations? Overall it may be a mess but I thought the first two parts (cyclonus and hardhead) were actually quite good and if Furman had of adjusted his grand scale plan the following two parts could of worked out ok. As it is double dealer is a bit urgh and sideswipe is terrible bar some of the art.

I'd agree that max dinobots isnt as bad as some make out. It has some big things going against it (the un-needed monstorbots, Sludge dying but then not and Swoops "we're leaving - we're back! - nope, leaving again - nope, back again!") but it still has some moments of fun and I did like that scorponoks plan was actually deliberately stupid (or seemed that way to me)

Heart of Darkness is for me the worst mini IDW have done. Even Megatron Origins has some re-deeming bits. Only the bumblebee one can compete for sheer crapness.

Kinda feel this thread should merge with the IGN one - some of this conversation would go well there.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Cyberstrike nTo wrote:Heart of Darkness, Maximum Dinobots, Revelations, and the IDW/EA Comics Dragon Age mini-series are the four worst comic book series I ever read and believe me I've read a lot of bad comics but these turds are IMHO so awful that there is nothing to redeem them at all.
Maximum Dinobots and Revelations are not two of the worst comic series I've ever read. They're not even the worst TF comics I've read. Megatron Origin, Bumblebee, AHM and Costa's run are worse IMO. I didn't like the Ironhide mini either. But I still wouldn't say any of these are the worst comics I've read. There's a lot out there sh*tter than these, IMO.

Actually, I quite like Revelations. I should give it another go and see if I still do. If nothing else the art's pretty.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Given its on the list im surprised war within makes the list. I thought it failed on every level - story, art, characters, dialogue. Not that they are brilliant but from dreamwave i thought the sunstorm arc and war and peace were much better. War within 2 has some neat ideas as well, if only they could have left out the fallen stuff ( i know, i know..
)
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Red Dave Prime wrote:Given its on the list im surprised war within makes the list. I thought it failed on every level - story, art, characters, dialogue. Not that they are brilliant but from dreamwave i thought the sunstorm arc and war and peace were much better. War within 2 has some neat ideas as well, if only they could have left out the fallen stuff ( i know, i know..)
Yeah, well, it's not a good list. I think War Within was well received but opinions on that story have declined over time. I haven't read it in years but the last time I did I was much less impressed.

I need to reread my DW comics at some point. It's kinda difficult when they're in England and I'm in Canada. I'm not sure about War and Peace but I've always liked the Sunstorm arc. Not that it'd make a best of list but I enjoyed it.