Stan Bush in The Goldbergs?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Stan Bush in The Goldbergs?

Post by Auntie Slag »

Not visually, just one of his songs I think! I really like the Goldbergs. Its stupid and all the 80's references by year are completely out of sync to reality, but its heart is in the right place.

This morning there was an episode and I swear it had Stan Bush playing in the background. I'm 94% sure it was his voice, and the lyrics felt like typical Stan motivational 80's crap i.e. a rip off of The Touch. It went something like:

"You're really great, you can do anything, YEAH.
No ones gonna stop you, no ones gonna keep you down, YEAH
You can fight, and you'll win and YEAH!
YEAH, kill, fight, win, kill, Reaganomics, you're the best YEAH!

... YEAH!"

I felt so motivated that I went out and killed someone and it felt great.

I love The Goldbergs.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Sorry, I thought you meant some kind of euphemism. I haven't heard of the Goldbergs.

Stan Bush brings out the Kingsman in me too... wait a minute...

Hehe LOLZ (turn off the audio to the first video)
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

... I'm finding that a lot funnier than I should.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Holy crap, I've never seen Kingsman but that looks amazing!

Similarly, that Stan Bush video its paired with... I remember watching that on Saturday Superstore and it did SOOOOO much for building the anticipation of TF:TM. Mike Read approved of it, and gave TF's adult legitimacy for the first time (that's how it felt to me, anyway). Love Stan's white denim jacket too, is it due a comeback?

And now Colin Firth is epically etched alongside Prime & Megatron in my mind! :smokin:

[Edit] Love your We3 avatar, I can still feel its psychological scars!

[Edit] Interesting in the Stan Bush video, around the 3:40 mark it looks like he was getting so into it that he broke a string. There was one clearly hanging off for a few frames.

Wanna mime it again, Stan? Fresh strings this time? Nah... no one'll notice!
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Most of those memories are lost in the murky depths of childhood I'm afraid... I'm pretty impressed there's a music video at all, special effects and even going so far as actually plugging the jack into his guitar.

Gee you're right about the string ! Makes me wonder what might have gone wrong for the bits they felt they had to fade out completely for that close-up to make the cut. Perhaps the guy playing with the lights just didn't realise he wasn't supposed to do green... I'm not sure I like the idea of Satan Bush merging with Unicron all Ratchet/Megatron style.

There were a lot of things I didn't like about Kingsman, but the church scene alone makes the whole thing totally worthwhile. I seem to be pissing a lot on recent movies at the moment so I'd better leave it at that, and hope I wasn't too spoiler-y.

I noticed your We3 thread as I was scanning through the forum. I suppose I could say that there's something inherently tragic about using animal characters to illustrate mankind's vanity ? I absolutely love it though, not just because of the touching storyline but some of the layouts by Frank Quitely are brilliant - characters leaping through panels or shattering the action across the page :up:
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

I'm such a wuss with We3. When I saw the rabbit in serious trouble I couldn't go any further!

I sat through Watership Down loads of times as a kid, and Plague Dogs. Alex Murphy getting shot to bits was fine, and I felt nothing when Prime died in the movie (other than it was really drawn out and I was getting impatient for the next batch of poodle rock and lasers).

But these days I'm a mess; We3, Up, Wall-E, or a sad song by Peter Gabriel or John Grant and suddenly there isn't a prozac pill big enough.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Yeah I get that, although at the moment I'm more like Stan from that episode of Southpark where he sees everything as shit. Phases of life I guess. When you're numb anything emotionally intense feels good just to feel anything at all, and during those periods of fragility even a episode of Lassie can be heart-breaking.

Wow, that comes across a bit bi-polar... 4,000,000 seven year itch perhaps ?

But it's a bit like having a copy of Requiem for a dream or Irreversible on DVD, like it's something you'd want to watch over and over again ? Curiously enough I did end up re-watching Requiem for a dream just a couple of weeks back, finally feeling ready after fifteen years. Not sure if it's easier or harder to watch when you know how it ends. Come to think of it I recently watched se7en again as well, but mostly all that did was get "aww, what's in the boooox ?" stuck in my head ( no pun intended ).

Sidetracking, this got me to thinking about what we, as adults, find disturbing that we wouldn't bat an eyelid at when we were younger. I'm assuming it's an age thing and not a social shift, but maybe it is ? For example, the joyful scenes of death and destruction I used to draw in my teens would make me feel a lot more self-conscious about drawing nowadays, a kind of self-censorship that I can't decide whether it's stifling or maturing... surely this kind of thing can be extended to life in general but I can't really think of much, except maybe politics, that made me think : hopefully children are too young to understand how many ways of ****ed up this is.

But of course, Watership down is just a story about cute fluffy rabbits running away from the scary general rabbit :)