Best Cliffhangers in Transformers

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Halfshell

Best Cliffhangers in Transformers

Post by Halfshell »

In honour of Devastation #1, I thought it worth asking what you think the best cliffhangers TF has produced are.

Might get slightly spoily on recent stuff (such as the aforementioned), so tread carefully.

And obviously we get to completely ignore the bulk of the original cartoon due to the largely self-contained format. Which is always a plus. :)

Opening gambit... US #74. OMG, it's Unicron!

DISCUSS!
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Unicron one, yes.

Shockers blowing Bots up at the end of original mini-series.

"We are Thunderwing" from US #... 65?

And the one with Megachet emerging from the portal I liked, too.

Now I'll go before you get into more details about Devastation. :o
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Should be worth noting that anybody who posts actual details about Devastation in this thread will be fed to the Sharkticons.

Yes, Transformers are all dead = classic. :up:
Terome

Post by Terome »

Hi-Q warning the Dinobots that behind are these big-

Also, I got into the older-era stuff through the magic that is Collected Comics, so I got a cliffhanger in Time Wars with 'Galvatron's down - but not out!' and, due to some editorial mix-up, the next Collected Comics ended with Blaster, Wheeljack, Skydive and the rest crucified on the walls of Autobot City. Neither of these cliffhangers were resolved, for me, for about twelve years.
Silly Cow

Post by Silly Cow »

I really liked the Galvatron vs. PM Optimus in Time Wars. It was like nobody could hold Galvatron down, even the most powerful of Primes went down with a single blow. And then came the cavalry. yikes.

...of course with reading it from the scans at the time I didn't have to wait more than a couple of seconds to see what happens next, but still. A great cliffhanger.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Hell yeh, Prime finally arriving to smack Galvatron around was excellent. Shame Furman copped out on the fight a bit during the, and I use the word in its' losest sense, conclusion. Time Wars does have some good ones, doesn't it? Galvatron getting back up with half his face missing was jawdropping...

Magnus calling Galvatron out in Target was pretty awesome too.

Death's Head's arrival on Earth where he just turns up and blows Bumblebee apart was pretty "Oh my Christ, what happened there?!?" stuff.

Smokey, Inferno and Eric Idle finding Unicron's head on Junk was pretty well done as well - I mean, that was back in the day that Unicron actually meant something and didn't just turn up all over the place.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I say the end of season one of Beast Wars. Optimus Primal, a fine red mist.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Similarly, season 2's close is up there too.

Parts 2 and 3 of The Agenda have cracking finishes. Part 3 more-so, though. Big marks to a program that routinely finishes a season with its villain winning. Even if they manage to work it back the next time out...
Terome

Post by Terome »

They never played Season Three of Beast Wars down here when I was a lad. I knew what happened next by the power of the internet, but I still encounter people who didn't know that a resolution was ever reached. Or, for that matter, what the hey was going on at all in The Agenda, since no one really got to see the original cartoon here. The biggest complaint about the 2007 movie I hear from my peripheral friends is that Megatron wasn't a dinosaur and that they changed Optimus' name.
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

All Marvel UK G1 continuity for me.

The Quintesson's annexing Autobot city and the Autobots murdered and paraded on the city walls was an awesome cliffhanger and one of my favourite storylines of all time.

I also remember the one where Prime is seemingly dead after being hunted by the Predacons, mostly for Bumblebee going "Nooooooooooooo..." or something and Silverbolt's super suprised expression.

Random memories filtering through.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Terome
The biggest complaint about the 2007 movie I hear from my peripheral friends is that Megatron wasn't a dinosaur and that they changed Optimus' name.

Awesome!
Terome

Post by Terome »

And how! One of my brother's friends thought that Bumblebee was supposed to be Waspinator, or something.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Originally posted by Terome
And how! One of my brother's friends thought that Bumblebee was supposed to be Waspinator, or something.

You know, that kind of made me confused. As stated in the copyright feature"Out of all the lines, they lose the name Bumblebee in the one with all the animals. They could have easily repainted Waspy into BB.

And back on track: Beast Wars had the best cliffhangers overall, mainly because most of them had overall dark endings.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Maju Garzett
They could have easily repainted Waspy into BB.

I prefer the fact they repainted him into Buzz Saw.

Bumblebee would be a daft name for a bumblebee, and I'm glad we didn't get it. It's bad enough we had to put up with Armordillo and K-9.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Originally posted by Halfshell
I prefer the fact they repainted him into Buzz Saw.

Bumblebee would be a daft name for a bumblebee, and I'm glad we didn't get it. It's bad enough we had to put up with Armordillo and K-9.

Or Scorpinok. How the hell are we supposed to know what he turns into?!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Maju Garzett
Or Scorpinok. How the hell are we supposed to know what he turns into?!

Scorponok (note how I use the correct spelling) is different. They've gone to the trouble of actually changing the phoenetics. You could have had Terrorsaur or Cheetor, though. Thanks for playing. Next contestant, please!
Terome

Post by Terome »

There used to be noks living in the fields out by my grandmother's house. Nasty little things.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Originally posted by Halfshell
Scorponok (note how I use the correct spelling) is different. They've gone to the trouble of actually changing the phoenetics. You could have had Terrorsaur or Cheetor, though. Thanks for playing. Next contestant, please!
*Puts on a moustace and mullet wig and steps up*

What about Tigerhawk? What is he supposed to be?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Show me an actual animal called a Tigerhawk and I'll acknowledge your existence.

Until then, get back on topic.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Awesome!

Off Topic: A friend I watched it with this week kept calling him Primal throughout. Does anyone else find that people who haven't seen/read any Transformers in twenty years just assume the Movie has all the original characters in as well ("Oh yeah, I had that police car")?

On Topic:

Galvatron twats Ultra Magnus (till IDW ****ed up and moved it to the start of the next issue...).
The Autobots not being able to go after the kidnapped Sparkplug due to their fule running out.
Mind Games works great because, unlike other stories that depend on a surprise appearence (hello Perchance to Dream) the artist actually went to some effort to obscure Megatron a bit when keeping him in shadow.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!