IDW convention news, including All Hail Megatron Coda, Spotlight Cliffjumper & Spotlight Metroplex

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
inflatable dalek

IDW convention news, including All Hail Megatron Coda, Spotlight Cliffjumper & Spotlight Metroplex

Post by inflatable dalek »

Via our old friends as Transfans:

http://transfans.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7595

Main new stuff:

A Metroplex Spotlight (he'll be featured in a "Big Way" he he)
All Hail Megatron: Coda. A four issue mini series. That has got to be taking the piss. Apparently this will lead to new exciting things. Ho Hum.

This link (which repeats the above as well as things we know and atempts to make GI Joe seem all grown up) is well worth checking for a amusing typo which gave me more pleasure than six issues of AHM. See if you can spot it:

http://uk.comics.ign.com/articles/952/952513p1.html

edit:

Covers round-up --

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Well, that was disappointing. I was hoping for news on what's coming the second half of this year and what did we get? A mini series rounding up AHM and sounding worryingly final. Are they planning on actually doing something after July? Oh yeah. Very secret plans. Isn't this the place where secret plans get announced?

Oh and one spotlight was announced. Big f*cking deal. So they're rounding up the SLs and there's something planned after AHM. What about a follow up to MD? Or a movie sequel like ROS? What about something at all interesting? Robot heroes we already know about.

So, no news basically and still no clue as to what's coming after June. What exactly was the point of holding a Transformers session at the convention if you don't plan on announcing anything?

EDIT: Yeah that's an amusing typo!
Terome

Post by Terome »

I'm -quite- interested to spend 22 pages inside the mind of Metroplex... but I fear they might go the Autobot City route after All Hail Megatron. It would please me greatly if the time scale covered in it would be fairly vast and he never actually moved an inch. I like anthropomorphic cities.
Blackjack

Oh no.

Post by Blackjack »

Spotlight: Metroplex is a great addition to the TF fiction. I mean, what with Scorponok having a big (in Furman standards, anyway) role, and Fort Max having appeared, and Trypticon's cameos... well, the big guy's being left out.

More spotlights are good, IMO. Love characterization.

AHM: CODA???

What the f***ing hell? :rant::rant:
AHM is barely moving a plot forward throughout 7 issues, which could be easily squeezed into two or three. I mean, Infiltration even seems fast compared to this. Isn't 12 issues enough?
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

You know the one thing that really surprised me about this? Where's the announcement of the movie adaptation comics? They talk about the two prequels, which are already half way through, then don't announce the movie comics, which should be out in May right? The last movie comics were weekly in may yeah? Surely they should've announced this, given that the may solicits can only be a few days away. This makes no sense.
borg72

Post by borg72 »

meh. total waste of time and money for anyone who went then?

oh well. erm... Metroplex FTW?

Yet again, IDW mixes up its format (and confuses its audience) with that AHM: Coda thingy. I thought AHM WAS the 'big project', being a 12-part TF book. What's next, an ongoing (Good lord, I hope not. Can you imagine the pace of the plotting... :eek:)? a weekly, a la '52' (way to explode Roche's head)?

or just more of the same. i dunno. AHM burns a lot of bridges, story-wise. what can you really do thats 'big'?
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

borg72 wrote:meh. total waste of time and money for anyone who went then?

oh well. erm... Metroplex FTW?

Yet again, IDW mixes up its format (and confuses its audience) with that AHM: Coda thingy. I thought AHM WAS the 'big project', being a 12-part TF book. What's next, an ongoing (Good lord, I hope not. Can you imagine the pace of the plotting... :eek:)? a weekly, a la '52' (way to explode Roche's head)?

or just more of the same. i dunno. AHM burns a lot of bridges, story-wise. what can you really do thats 'big'?
Another reboot is the only thing that comes to mind.
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

I was waiting, in hope that IDW's Transformers saga would recover from this year-long "faux pax", but now it seems I'll just have to drop it for good, after Maximum Dinobots ends.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Thrift will also get a Spotlight
Positively Freudian the way sales numbers seem to be falling off.

The handful of pages of AHM #7 I've seen aren't bad. It's way too late for the title, I suspect.

Spotlights, yay.
Hennessy
Protoform

Post by Hennessy »

Here's more from newsarama
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Of the Metroplex Spotlight, Schmidt explained that to comprehend the scale of the character, the “entire story is double-page spreads except pages 1 and 22.”
A series focusing on the original thirteen Transformers is not scheduled,
:up::up:
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

"entire story is double-page spreads"

Kill me now.

Please.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I've seen one-panel-per-page work. Intrigued, at least.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Denyer wrote:I've seen one-panel-per-page work.
Usually needs a classy writer with good economy, though. If IDW had one of those we'd know about it by now instead of having 50-60 comic books that go nowhere.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Coda will bridge the gap between All Hail Megatron and Maximum Dinobots
If it's set before AHM would that really be a Coda? Though that could be a problem with the artical as it also gets the title of the new Movie wrong...

EDIT: I suspect that'll be the first time Furman's heard the 13 isn't happeneing. Mind, I'm so cynical of IDW these days if I were to see Ryall rescuing a cat froma tree I'd assume he was going to put it in a sack and throw it in the canal.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Why so cynical? Not that there's not reason.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Zander Cannon! He is classy stuff. Anyone picked up any of Top 10: Season 2?
borg72

Post by borg72 »

its amazing how, in the space of a year (or so), idw have one from being 'teh awsums!!1!' to being comically (no pun intended) poor at some of what they do.

they can produce some magnificent work at times. it just seems that they are trying very hard not to...

the metroplex thing really should be epic win. however the double page spread thing might just kill it, if its ten spreads of pretteh picshures with some rambling narrative slapped around the edge. i cant think of any idw tf story thats had writing good enough to suggest they are capable: spotlight nightbeat (a similarly narrative-driven story to what i'm half expecting) was a crime against literature and an affront to my sanity.

oh well. i'm at the pont where i'm still buying the comics, but more along the principle that at some point in the next few years, they'll end up killing them off completely, so i better get them while i can. i really don't find them entertaining at all anymore. the stories are weak, the characters increasingly thin or one-dimensional, with a few exceptions.

i feel so sad for getting that off my chest, but only because its true :(

edit: if anyone was wondering, i just read AHM 7. don't hold your breath.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Wouldn’t it be easier to simply incorporate this "Coda" story with AHM (edit: main AHM, not as a branch off) since half the time AHM's narrative is told through flashbacks? I mean, AHM was supposedly brought in to simplify things since the Furmanverse had apparently become far too convoluted for newer readers, only to complicate the storyline further by, first, having AHM take place a year later while being released concurrently with the remnants of Furman’s stuff, and now introduce a pre-sequel (or is it “pre-sequitur”).
Hennessy
Protoform

Post by Hennessy »