Escalation #5 preview [SPOILERS]

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

Escalation #5 preview [SPOILERS]

Post by Denyer »

http://www.idwpublishing.com/previews.shtml

Mostly on the first page, although that's quite an intense fight afterwards.

We've got tags: {spoiler}text{/spoiler} but use [ ] brackets.

edit: Nevermind, just don't read any more of the thread if you want to remain speculation-free...
snavej

Generally fine

Post by snavej »

This looks pretty good but I always imagined that the fusion cannon would be a lot more powerful, especially with the addition of ore 13. Prime's armour should be able to handle some of the blasts but surely he should be thrown back half a mile or so.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Ore 13 (like energon) is a power source mainly for them (i.e. mechanical systems) I think. After all, they've got charges that can blow up planets, but attaching it to an arm would still have a lot of kickback unless purely a laser-type device.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Page 3 is pure love. DAMN, page 3 and 4, that's the most impressive Optimus Prime I've ever seen. Su = LOVE.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

That is one intense battle, and now that I'm thinking about it, it has been awhile since we've seen these two duking it out. The panels with Prime transforming and aiming look fantastic! But now the question remains, who is the mystery Decepticon on the first page? Far too damaged to be Shockwave....Soundwave could be a possibility, with the Spotlight arriving shortly before this issue.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

My money's on Scorponok.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
AutobotJazz
Protoform

Post by AutobotJazz »

Hell yeah...how long has it been since these two titans fought it out...never mind shooting at eachother, its gonna be no holds barred, despite the obvious repsect they have for eachother (just look at Stormbringer) they know what eachother is capable of just remains to be seen who'll come out on top...I'm betting Prime will have to get his tail rescued and then he'll be due some payback in the next story after Escalation. Just my thoughts though, I could be wrong!
Thanks to StoneCold Skywarp for the Sig
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

It's looking good
Destruction is my specialty
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
My money's on Scorponok.

Starscream, getting his 'classics' body?
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Keep in mind that the Machination has been around for quite some time.

And weren't Runabout and Runamuck after one of their employees and his discovery? Why'd they hunt him if Starscream was in league with the group?

EDIT: C'mon. This is either a blatant internal swipe or an equally blatant hint.

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Nevermore
Keep in mind that the Machination has been around for quite some time.

That's one of the reasons I'd say Scorponok If the present day page of Ultra Magnus was "29 Stella Cycles" after the bulk of the issue, and we assume a cycle is about a year (might be shorter, or even much longer if it's a fancy way of saying a Cybertron year) then that about thirty years for him to get his claws into the US Government as he did on Nebulos. Second best bet would be Soundwave as we know he was around at least briefly in the 80's.

Shockwave's highly unlikely as he's only just been dug up.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Megatimus
Protoform

Post by Megatimus »

I can only think it's Scorponok as the surgery throws off waves of Headmasters.
snavej

Post by snavej »

Remember the time, way back in 1984, when Megatron shot Optimus Prime's arm in 'The Last Stand', issue 4, Marvel Comics? The arm vaporised! Why wasn't part of Optimus vaporised when he got hit in the chest in IDW Escalation, issue 5? I thought that Megatron was attacking strongly there!

This is all part of the ridiculous comics and cartoons method of giving characters lethal weapons and then letting other characters survive with minimal injuries after direct hits.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by snavej
Remember the time, way back in 1984, when Megatron shot Optimus Prime's arm in 'The Last Stand', issue 4, Marvel Comics?
Remember how Wile E Coyote bounced back on TV, but animals on the road go thud-splat if you drive over them?

A better comparison would be with Megatron gutting Starscream, because it's the same continuity as this.
snavej

Post by snavej »

The point is that the weapon is a fusion cannon. It uses the same nuclear process as the fusion bomb. The plasma generated is briefly hotter than the surface of the sun. At close enough range (a few miles), this is enough to destroy all known metals. This was demonstrated in atomic tests worldwide since the 1940s. Solid steel objects near test explosions completely disappeared. I repeat, how could Optimus survive a direct hit?

My own explanation is that Transformers have developed radical methods to strengthen metals. Since normal nuclear and chemical processes are insufficient to resist a fusion attack, Transformers would have to use very advanced methods, i.e. use their hyperspace technology to draw extra matter and energy from hyperspace. This extra matter and energy could somehow be used to massively reinforce conventional metals, thus making them incredibly resistant to damage, at least for a short time. If they kept the extra matter and energy too long, it would be too much for them and would do them damage. Imagine if part of your body suddenly became a thousand times heavier or supercharged with power!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The point is that the weapon is a fusion cannon. It uses the same nuclear process as the fusion bomb. The plasma generated is briefly hotter than the surface of the sun.
That's at the centre of the reaction, though -- we can probably very safely assume that the weapon isn't generating a solid beam of that magnitude, because it'd destroy the weapon and the individual next to it.
snavej

Post by snavej »

I refer you to the theory I expounded in my previous post about the use of hyperspatial matter and energy to make regular objects and people super-resistant to damage.

Also, human scientists know that it is possible to contain fusion plasma in a powerful magnetic field - it has been done in a few advanced laboratories. They are trying to build a fusion reactor for peaceful power-generating purposes but it is proving to be very difficult - for human technology!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

human scientists know that it is possible to contain fusion plasma in a powerful magnetic field
But for a beam focused from a cannon that field would need to be extended and shaped along the path of the blast -- the reactions aren't directional and would tend towards the widest arc possible.

I'd agree that conventional metals are almost certainly augmented either by extreme density or whatever dodgy Trek physics are popular in sci-fi this week for force fields, but a weapon being a shaped fusion reaction (rather than just drawing power from that reaction for explosive force -- there has to be particulate matter in there somewhere, it isn't travelling at light speed and can be dodged) is extremely unlikely and counter-intuitive.
snavej

Post by snavej »

Transformers are very high-tech beings - they must be able to manipulate energy fields at great distances. Hence, they can create a 'tunnel' of containing magnetism or whatever for a blast of energy to travel through, all the way to the target or even beyond. We know that they make such things as extremely strong defensive force fields and the more delicate holographic humans.

Fusion blasts are not at light speed but are still at a significant fraction of light speed. Hardly anyone could dodge one because the power and acceleration needed would destroy the would-be dodger! Even if someone did just about dodge the blast, he/she/it would probably be damaged by the side-effects, e.g. the radiation and the electromagnetic pulse. To successfully dodge the fusion blast, it would be best to warp out using teleport technology, assuming one's reaction time was quick enough.

If I was Megatron, I would want a devastating fusion cannon rather than an ordinary laser or missile. I wouldn't use it all the time but I would like something that could blow big holes in virtually anything and have terrible side-effects on the surroundings just to emphasise my power. Great leaders need to carry a very big stick, so to speak, or else they get overthrown.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Great leaders need to carry a very big stick, so to speak, or else they get overthrown.
Or they put the emphasis of their efforts on defensive tech, and where there's scarcity of materials or components, the leaders and medical forces get them first. Being almost unkillable is more useful than being able to blow more stuff up.

I'd like some in-story explanation for why Prime and Megatron can shrug off blasts that would shred other TFs. If Furman's out there: pretty please?

Reckon it's very likely that Megatron weighs more than any of his underlings, when mass isn't shifted into containment somewhere.
Hardly anyone could dodge one
Characters seem to do so on a frequent basis. We have plenty of evidence that what might at first glance appear to be laser-type beam weapons aren't strictly.
Even if someone did just about dodge the blast, he/she/it would probably be damaged by the side-effects, e.g. the radiation and the electromagnetic pulse.
Again, you're building an argument that Megatron's cannon doesn't produce a directed fusion reaction. It may derive power somewhere internally through one, that's then used, but the blast itself isn't.