Transformers Nonferrous #1

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Cliffjumper

Transformers Nonferrous #1

Post by Cliffjumper »

WOW! This is SO exciting! It looks like everyone they made toys of is an actual real character I just didn't see before! I'd better go and buy Knock Out toot sweet. And pretty much everyone killed in that film survived in one way or another! How marvellous! What a great touch as well - there's a human agency involved in some vague conspiracy regarding Transformers. I don't think I've ever, ever seen this in a Transformers comic before. And the art - what a brave decision to make all the humans utterly generic. Gripping stuff with Soundwave as well - it looks like he's got His Own Agenda. Those scenes of him monitoring telly all over the world were excellent stuff, really groundbreaking. And Movieverse versions of Ratbat, Beastbox and some toher one? Brilliant, that way I knew Soundwave was Soundwave. I'm not sure where the jizz landed, but it was a fair distance away from me.

Overall I give it an A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ and think it's the best comic ever.

I'm so glad I download this shit instead of paying for it, I really am.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Hahaha. When this hit the torrent sites, I knew it was only a matter of time before you took it as distilled vindication of every mean thing you've said about Furman in the past three years. You must feel like it's your birthday or something.

EDIT: Oh but hey, here's a chap who can draw human beings that actually resemble such.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, it'd just be nice if he drew different ones.

C'mon, though, it really is the most dire IDW-by-numbers shite imaginable. Furman especially is the last person who should be put on a Movie book - everything's reverted to his sanded down prepped G1 status quo. I'm just wondering how long it is until Shockwave off the video game turns up and he finds some way to shoehorn Grimlock into the thing.

I was also let down that after all the hype, DUNE RUNNER did feck all. No, wait, every character IDW handle does feck all. Oh, here's an issue on Arcee - she's a mad bitch! And that's it!
Terome

Post by Terome »

Oh yes, with you all the way. It was like a reheated casserole made from the leftovers of every tea from the last week. And it was made in one of those cheap microwaves that only cooks the top bit while leaving the stuff down by the plate ice cold.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

That was incredibly blah.

There are a lot of things that make Movieverse comics deeply problematic. The designs just don't transfer over very well from one medium to the other, and there's nothing IDW can do about that. And we know that the 'lead' characters, the ones who've featured in the movie, aren't in any real peril -- nothing they can do about that, either. And the basic status quo just isn't going to change, at least not until movie #3 is scripted and they tell IDW what to do for their prequel comic. The character designs are going to be a bit of a bugger no matter which way you go but are the other two problems really that hard to write around?

If you want to inject some drama into the story and make the readers care about whether or not someone will live or die, pick a couple of the random toy-only Movieverse guys and build them up to be interesting characters in their own right. Then there will be a bit of drama over whether or not your characters actually survive, rather than "pfft, they can't kill off Soundwave or Bumblebee, they're going to be in the next movie".

If you absolutely need to write a story where the likes of Prime, Bumblebee and Soundwave are the main characters, then you need to do something a bit more subtle than "ZOMG WORLD-SHATTERING CONSPIRACY" because everyone knows that it's going to fail, no one important will get hurt and the world will be just as we left it when Movie #3 rolls around. So give us a character study, or some light-hearted fun...something that can work on its' own merits without trying to be high drama.

But instead of trying to be creative, most of IDW's movie comics to date have been lazy by-the-numbers 'big events' with a sizable dose of G1 injected into them. And honestly, I have to wonder...what's the point?
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

It kind of held my interest until page 3 or so, then I got bored. Although I did like Soundwave's thoughts on the Movieverse Pretender concept.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Warcry wrote:And honestly, I have to wonder...what's the point?
Which also goes for the main continuity if they can't be arsed to provide any consistency?

Yeah, sounds familiar.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The second one manages the impressive feat of being much, much worse than the first. I love the desperate excuse not to kill Soundwave as he's probable for the third film - "Wait, this mortal enemy lying guy is saying he has vague information about something vague; I'd better do as he says!". Has Furman seen the ****ing films? Or does he just genuinely think he knows best?

Am I the only person who just ignores any frames that feature men in suits sitting around a table with a big viewscreen behind them now? I just Page Down past the things. On the other hand, it looks like that stupid little bitch from the Deadfurmanverse is in it. Or at least, there's a girl who looks a bit like a fifty-year old comic writer's idea of counterculture who develops to exactly the same extent as Avril did

This one also pips Ironhide #1 for the worst lines of dialogue I've read today. Singling out certain passages would be unfair, as there's not a single line that isn't trite and doesn't sound like it was cut & pasted from another IDW Transformers comic.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The irony is you seem to be the only person reading the bugger.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

inflatable dalek wrote:The irony is you seem to be the only person reading the bugger.
Which at least means all the feedback has some sense of perspective and isn't prone to declaring whatever they've just read the best comic IDW have done yet.
snavej

Post by snavej »

I am foolish enough to 'read the bugger'.

I also just read the last issue of 'Nefarious'. How come the old geezer made an Allspark that had some powers while Starscream failed to do the same in 'Reign of Starscream' a few years ago? I would have thought that Transformers had more familiarity with Allspark energy. The stereotype of 'incompetent Starscream' strikes again.