Live Action Action Force Movie Casting [now with added SHOUTY NORTHERNER]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
inflatable dalek

Live Action Action Force Movie Casting [now with added SHOUTY NORTHERNER]

Post by inflatable dalek »

Sienna Miller as the Baroness:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=39470
Sienna Miller is the first actor to enlist in Paramount Pictures' big-budget tentpole G.I. Joe, reports Variety.

The British actress will play the film's female lead, described as a raven-haired baroness and sexy femme fatale skilled in espionage.

Stephen Sommers directs the live-action film based on the Hasbro toys, comic book and TV series.

Paramount, which has set a mid-February start date, has slotted the film for an August 7, 2009, release.

The story is set at Brussels-based GIJOE, an acronym for the Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity, and revolves around an international co-ed force of operatives who use high-tech equipment to battle Cobra, an evil org headed by a Scottish arms dealer.

Lorenzo di Bonaventura (Transformers) is producing alongside Hasbro's Brian Goldner.
So looks as if the Joes are not only not American, but Destro's going to be the main baddy.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Well, at least it isn't Mila Jovovich or some other actress I can barely stand to look at.

As for the plot, I'm hoping it's no longer that Duke/Action Man buddy comedy Latino Reviews announced a few months back, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Whut? No Cobra Commander?

Sheesh.

Bet there's no Serpentor either. Although, come to think about it... :eyebrow:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

What happened to the rumour that George Clooney was in talks to be in it?
inflatable dalek

It seems to have gone the same way as the rumour of him playing Optimus Prime...
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
Well, at least it isn't Mila Jovovich or some other actress I can barely stand to look at.

This is very funny, because, after reading Dalek's initial post, I was thinking about who to cast as Scarlett. After thinking of a couple of actual redheads, Alicia Witt and Laura Prepon (not that she's red these days :down: ) - I do think it's too bad that Witt didn't win the role of Mary Jane in the Spider-Man films (not to dis Kirstin Dunst, who I've been really impressed with in some movies), but I'm not sure of either of them in this role - I went to action heroines. Considered Uma, breifly Jolie... decided I'd like to see Milla Jovovich do it :D Although... action woman, kickin' arse... maybe they should put a red wig on Summer Glau :)

Heck, while I'm at it, may as well cast everything (seriously, or... less so):

Cobra Commander (he *@?!ing well better be in the film :mad: ) - Johnny Depp, Jack Nicholson, Ian McDiarmid - okay, I'm undecided ;) Destro - hm... voiced by James Earl Jones or Sean Connery, depending on how cartoony they get? I could see Hugh Jackman as Flint; Nathan Fillion as Duke - or Hawk, if they let him actually lead things in the field, as it started out in G. I. Joe. Samuel L. Jackson, seriously, could be dream casting as Stalker. (Hell, he did "Deep Blue Sea" - why not this?) Snake Eyes - well, will Hollywood allow a masked, mute lead character? (Though, would make stunt-doubling easy....) Roadblock could maybe be Michael Clarke Duncan, though Ving Rhames does have the mustache. - actually, I see him playing the role better, as well.. Lady Jaye? Jewel Staite, maybe? Actually, I could maybe see Angelina Jolie here, with the changing voices - oh, or maybe Jen Garner. Oh! - or Amy Acker. (Though, to my mind, Scarlett is the better part - so maybe we should put one of them there? Oh, but Summer, with the fighting and acting chops - Illyria not as martial arty...) Zartan - Dana Carvey? [/bad "Master of Disguise" joke]. Actually - maybe Jovovich works as Zarana. Major Bludd - Collin Farrell? Serpentor - Paulie Shore :p Buzzer the Dreadnok - Owen Wilson? Road Pig the Dreadnok - Adam Baldwin. Torch the Dreadnok - the Macho Man Randy Savage. (Ohhh... YEAH!) Ripper - Tony Head ;)

(Why no, I don't watch a lot of Joss Whedon shows, why do you ask? ;) )

And no, Dalek, no Michelle Trachtenberg... Wait. That computer programmer Joe, the one they didn't bother to mention by name in that one GIJ/TF crossover? I could cast her there... ;)

(edited for typod smilies and stuff)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by LKW

And no, Dalek, no Michelle Trachtenberg... Wait. That computer programmer Joe, the one they didn't bother to mention by name in that one GIJ/TF crossover? I could cast her there... ;)

I knew you wouldn't be able to hold out.

How about Gillian Anderson and her amazing new breasts as Scarlette?

The fact Destro (or at least the main Cobra leader, I suppose they could have always made Cobra Commander a bit different) is specifically described as Scotish I hope they at least get someone who can do the accent...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Rules out most Scottish actors, does that.
inflatable dalek

In the case of Sean Connery you only think that because he's such a master of accents it's easy to forget in his many, varied performances that he is in fact the owner of a fully convincing Scottish accent.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Now that they've bastardised the English language to the extent where GI Joe is no longer a blatantly nationalistic American term (or, y'know, maintains the delusion that they've managed it), I wonder if any of the villains will actually be American.

I always liked the fact that the redubbed version went to great lengths to make it clear that Action Force was in fact international and in no way xenophobic, but left all the good guys as Yanks whilst all of Cobra were quite blatantly comedy foreigner stereotypes.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I never really realised how complex the whole Action Force thing was, TBH. My childhood recollection of the comic somehow omitted the whole "European taskforce under Flint" thing, and they just always seemed to be in London or Paris whenever I read it, which I didn't think too much about. It wasn't until relatively recently I actually read the "Why don't Action Force and GI Joe team up?" strip I realised what a head**** the whole thing was; and then you've got to factor in Battle's contribution...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Yeah, I half recall a "GI Joe AND Action Force" comic (may have been an insert in TF or Thundercats or something daft like that) that immediately preceded the rebrand. Did they rebrand it? Didn't it go from "Action Force" to "GI Joe: The Action Force" or somesuch?

Or am I completely at a loss.

It's all far too confusing, and I never really followed the comic, so it's possible my young brain just sort of edited it down and revised it into something that made sense to somebody who wasn't that bothered.

If the fiction didn't have Zartan or the Dreadnocks in, I wasn't that fussed.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, I think it was GI Joe - The Action Force for the last couple of years over here. I hardly read the thing, TBH, even the back-ups in Transformers - my main childhood memory was the film (and I never really noticed that was dubbed at the time). Funnily enough, if I recall correctly, through friends into WWF i found oout about Sgt. Slaughter before I found out about GI Joe...

Still, the British comic probably wasn't overrated tedium by Larry Hama, so I'm prepared to throw my hat into the ring with that one.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

AF was probably my earliest memory of crap dubbing. Noticing that "Full Force" and "Sergeant Slammer" were blatantly out of synch / different volume to the rest of the audio track... even if I didn't fully understand what it was or the reasons behind it, I knew that something was up with it.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I always noticed that when I was like 5 too, it just sounded as if the characters were constipated, its not until I bought the gijoe version on DVD tother month that I heard the original dub.

Although the GIJOE intro is awful compared to the Action Force one
inflatable dalek

As has been said before though the Action Force theme tune was better than the GI Joe one. Actually, does the oriiginal Action Force version of the film have the whole "GI Joe fight Cobra at the statue of liberty whilst the theme tune plays" bit?

EDIT: That's as in what we got on video back in the day rather than the strange half and half beast released on DVD.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Actually, does the oriiginal Action Force version of the film have the whole "GI Joe fight Cobra at the statue of liberty whilst the theme tune plays" bit?

The version I had did.

I actually watched the first five minutes of the movie the other week (having picked the DVD up for about £2 in Woolies). It's nowhere near as good as I remember it. The Statue of Liberty sequence, I mean. I think nostalgia may have built it up into mythic proportions, when it's actually just less naff than the rest of it. Boo. :(
inflatable dalek

It gets better as it gets more insane as it goes on. I suspect if i were I Joe fasn I'd hate it for what it does (though those crazies deserve what they get), but I get to watch in the same way post people view the Transformers Movie, crap but fun.
Sociopathic Autobot

Post by Sociopathic Autobot »

WTB: GI JOE/Transformers cross over =-o
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
As has been said before though the Action Force theme tune was better than the GI Joe one. Actually, does the oriiginal Action Force version of the film have the whole "GI Joe fight Cobra at the statue of liberty whilst the theme tune plays" bit?

EDIT: That's as in what we got on video back in the day rather than the strange half and half beast released on DVD.

The original VHS release definitely had the Statue sequence (IMO the solitary remotely worthwhile scene in the whole damn film), but at least one UK reissue (with GI Joe - The Action Force branding) has the GI Joe theme playing over what I think is one of the early title sequences, then cuts straight to the start of Zarana infiltrating the Terrordrome. Oddly, though, it retains all the UK dubbing. It's like they took the rebrand literally - GI Joe at the start, Action Force for the rest of it...