So, kids, what're you reading?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Halfshell

So, kids, what're you reading?

Post by Halfshell »

I thought it would be a good idea to have an ongoing thread (rather than some non-consecutively numbered mini-serie - y'listening IDW?) about what comics people are reading.

Just as a barometer / conversational thing, obviously. And to make recommendations about new stuff or whatever.

So, kids, what do you be reading at the mo? What's on your comic shop reserve list? What back catalogue things are you slowly getting through?

- Is Civil War worth anybody's attention?
- Are you one of the three people in the world reading 52?

Monthly basis stuff:
- Astonishing X-Men (still good, though lost its thrall a bit lately due to pacing and scheduling)
- Nextwave (awesome. Boom.)

TPBs:
- Fables (wicked cool. Like Shrek but good)
- Y The Last Man (BKV is my new hero)
- Marvel Ultimate stuff... hopefully the next Ultimates collection is actually going to show itself some point this century)

Just finished Transmet (as you'll know if you read the thread nobody replied to :(), and read Pride of Baghdad (fantastic). Slowly picking up Sandman, Preacher and Powers.

You?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I am reading Vulcan and Captain Britain.

New stuff? Well, erm, Planetary and Ultimates 2 Until They Let That Tosser Loeb Near It When I'm Going To Drop It Like Jimmy Greaves. Maybe Wisdom, seems like I have about six months until the next issue. I'd get Union Jack if Marvel turned it into a regular series, but it doesn't go around pissing on characters, so it won't.

I nearly bought a copy of New Excalibur this one time, but recovered just in time.
Sociopathic Autobot

Post by Sociopathic Autobot »

Mostly the Transformers and Ultimate X-men comics right now.

I have started on the AoA epic TPBs
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

X-Men:
Astonishing
Uncanny
X-men
New X-men
Exiles
Wolverine
X-Factor
Excalibur

Marvel Ongoing:
Runaways
Amazing Spiderman
Young Avengers
New Avengers
Heroes for Hire
New Universal

Marvel Ultimate:
Ultimate Spiderman
Ultimate X-men
Ultimate Fantastic Four
Ultimates

Non-Marvel:
Transformers
Street Fighter

Minis:
Civil War
Frontline
Supreme Power
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Invincible - fun and lots of lots of subplots going on simultaneously. Me like.

Ultimateverse

UFF under Carey is still good, but reading first couple of issues for the first time you get that WTF feeling, but sense is quickly made.

Clone saga on Ult. Spidey is good, too, and damn it, I think #103 is one of the most satisfying single issue I have read in a while.

Ult. X-Men is not bad, however I already know who's gonna buy the farm in the end of current arc and I smell a fakedeaththingy. Me not like.

Proper Marvel Universe X-Books

Generally I find series concerning X-Men at least enjoyable, at best quite great and intriguing and I think that overall they're in the best state since they added a third main title. Though Uncanny under Brubaker sufffers from the similar thing Astonishing does and like Astonishing probably will read a lot better as TPB. Carey's X-Men I currently like the most. But some of you should avoid it for all cost anyway (Bachalo). :p

X-Factor blows all three of them out of the water anyway. Fantastic.

Cable/Deadpool seems to getting back on form, which is good. Bedard finally managed to kill Exiles for me, which is bad. He's getting the boot, which is good. Claremont is taking his place, which probably is bad. Gonna give him a chance, though.

I finished Image's Powers and really liked it. And speaking of Bendis, brought to you by "Scans can save you quite a lot of money and time you waste on importing stuff you'd never like" campaign...

I read some New Avengers and have no idea why some people praise it. At best mediocre imitation of Authority (The Collective), at worst boring boring boring (The Sentry), all the rest not particularly interesting with occasional good line from Spider-Man which is not enough.
Originally posted by Brendocon
hopefully the next Ultimates collection is actually going to show itself some point this century
And will have first Annual in it. And I really hope that UFF Annual will get into a TPB eventually (no, Ultimate Annuals TPB does not count).

Nextwave is great, but I'm a bit behind on it due going legal with it, and the last one I read was #9. Last page = :D
Is Civil War worth anybody's attention?
I only tried Heroes for Hire. Good - it reads quite well even if you only have a basic knowledge of what's going on in Civil War. Bad - the comic itself is not particularly good. I'd like it some much more if it was Black Cat & Tarantula. :)
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
I recently picked up the trade paperback for Iron Man:the Armor Wars. Everyone says its the greatest Iron Man story ever written...and I don't think I've ever read ANY Iron Man stories. I'll probably start reading it on Monday when I have to go see my college course councellor (whew!) and the minimum wait is 1 hour.

The old, original one with the red & white armour, yeh? It's really, really, really good :)

In general, I'm finding pulpy old IPC stuff like The Spider, The Steel Claw, House of Dolmann (ace!), Mytek, Kelly's Eye, Robot Archie etc. (while Albion seems more of a travesty with every read, at least it flagged a few things up, though Titan seem to have lost their balls on the reprint programme already... there's a surprise) a Helluva lot more rewarding than glossy Photoshop'd hype pamphlets at the moment... once Millar and Ellis tie up Ultimates and Planetary respectively, I can probably cut ties with new comics for good, what with Wisdom being toss the more I think about it, and the growing certainty that Miracleman won't be coming back because everyone involved is a complete tw@t.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

I've been reading, um, off the top of my head:

Deadman
Y the Last Man
Fables
Astonishing X-Men (what, like, bianually now?)
Civil War (its sporadically good, sporadically really bad)
Front Lines
The IDW TF stuff, spotlights have been good
Ex Machina
all star Superman
JLA
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
The old, original one with the red & white armour, yeh? It's really, really, really good :)

I'll echo that. I have most the originals sitting in a box in the closet. I should probably break them out, haven't read them in years.
Hound

Re: So, kids, what're you reading?

Post by Hound »

- Is Civil War worth anybody's attention?
It's not the worst comic I read currently, though it's far from the best...
- Are you one of the three people in the world reading 52?
Yes, and it's totally worth it. I especially love that I can expect it to be there every single week without fail. That and it gets better every single week too.

Monthly basis stuff:
- Astonishing X-Men (still good, though lost its thrall a bit lately due to pacing and scheduling)
Yeah, I'd probably love the book a whole lot more if it were monthly as it is, I'm having a hard time remembering what's happened when a new issue pops up. Same with Ultimates and Planetary. I'll probably have a second read through of all three when they've finished completely
- Nextwave (awesome. Boom.)
Don't read it, remarkable because it's got to be one of like 2 or 3 comics I don't read...

TPBs:
- Fables (wicked cool. Like Shrek but good)
I haven't gotten to it yet, I've got much to catch up on but I plan to get to this series at some point.
- Y The Last Man (BKV is my new hero)
Isn't this comic the best? Like ever? Ok, I exaggerate but it's up there. I loved it so much I couldn't wait for the TPBs once I got them all I started buying the single issues.
- Marvel Ultimate stuff... hopefully the next Ultimates collection is actually going to show itself some point this century)
I currently read the Ultimates monthly, or y'know whenever but I don't read Loeb comics, not anymore. I do read Ultimate Spider-Man, X-men, Powers and FF but only by the TPB.

Just finished Transmet (as you'll know if you read the thread nobody replied to :(), and read Pride of Baghdad (fantastic). Slowly picking up Sandman, Preacher and Powers.
I've not read Powers, I may someday, haven't given it much thought actually. I've read Transmet, all except Vol.0 wich I've been meaning to for eons and haven't gotten to it. I read Sandman and Preacher years ago and have been trying to get anyone who will listen to read Sandman since. My roommate has now read the series and she loves it. Now if Cliffy would just cave...

Would be most interested to hear any thoughts you have on it.
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

Monthly stuff:
- Green Lantern
- Green Lantern Corps
- The Flash
- Shadowpact
- Teen Titans
- Nightwing
- Outsiders
- New Avengers
- Justice League of America
- Justice Society of America
- JSA Classified
- Uncanny X-Men

Limited series:
- Civil War
- Civil War: Frontline
- Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes (vol. 2)

TPBs:
- Fables (Note: BEST... COMICS... EVER)
- Exiles
- Ultimates (Just 'The Ultimates', not X-Men, Spider-Man or whoever else)
- Hawkman
- Black Panther
- Astonishing X-Men
- New Thunderbolts
- Supreme Power

That is, I believe, everything.
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Cliffjumper

Re: Re: So, kids, what're you reading?

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Hound
Now if Cliffy would just remember he has the scans whenever he isn't doing something

That's the basic problem... reading stuff as scan is something I have to do only when I'm in the right mood because I'm pretty distractable on the computer (I always have Dreamweaver running in the background, for instance). At least twice I've put the Sandman disc in the drive and then ended up writing a biography of Andrea de Cesaris/designing a Lego Cinema and not even running the thing.

The day needs more hours.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

UK Collectors editions

-Astonishing Spider-Man

-Essential X-Men

-Wolverine and Deadpool (Enemy of the state just started, pretty good but i still buy this mag for Deadpool alone, he rules)

- Marvel Legends

-Batman Dark Night chronicles...i think thats what it's called, issue one was this month.

Marvel

-Moon Knight (this new series is the best, Charlie Huston and David fincher are legends)

-Ghost Rider (awsome so far but i'm behind on two issues because my store didn't order issue 4 for me...)

-Blade (a new standalone series was an awsome idea, i'm still unsure of it though so i haven't added it to my standing order yet)

-Eternals (More consistantly awsome writing by Neil Gaiman)

-Wolverine Origins

IDW

- All Tf Titles...although i'm not sure if i'll bother picking up the next G.I joe vs Transformers and i seem to be missing two issues of Hearts of Steel. Oh and i Didn't start collecting Beast wars because i'm still getting to know the series.

TPB's

-Wolverine: Origin, bloody awsome.

Just finished AoA, truly epic! and i've got Wolverine:Weapon X on the way. i seem to be on a bit of a Wolvie Binge at the mo.

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Marvel:

X-Factor (which I somehow missed the first time through this list)
Civil War (and related titles)
Amazing Spider-man
NextWave
Uncanny X-men
X-men
Astonishing X-men
Fantastic Four
Bullet Points (new mini that, if you aren't reading it, you damn well should)
NewUniversal
Runaways
Any and all What If...? titles that come out
Moon Knight
Immortal Iron Fist

DC:

Fables
Jack of Fables
Y the Last Man
The Exterminators
American Virgin
Nightwing
Robin
Detective Comics
Teen Titans

Other:

Army of Darkness
Invincible
Fear Agent

Beyond that, whatever strikes my fancy.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

On the Marvel. as per norm:

- Wolverine Origins
- X-Men
- New X-Men
- Uncanny X-Men
- Astonishing X-Men
- Ultimate X-Men
- Exiles
- Ultimate Power
- New Excalibur

I am half-expecting a Gigaplex X title soon, but with the current curate's egg style of story-telling - and some of the art - I doubt I'd bite. Rather do like the twists and turns in the Fall of the Shi'ar Empire, but it's all taking sooooo looonnnnggg to get anywhere. The other Xs are pretty much the same. Meh, maybe I'm just getting old and impatient....

IDW TFs:

- Generations
- Spotlight
- Animated Movie
- Escalation

Found missing volume for Titan TF run on sale (New Order) and am rereading the lot. Yeah, I know Generations are all reprints, but I love the stock they're printed on, so, why not?

Not comics, but I've also made time to reread The Hobbit and will soon be back on The Lord of the Rings.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Let’s see…
Marvel
Astonishing X-Men – great stuff; #18 felt a little lesser than #17, but…
Uncanny X-Men – almost dropped after Claremont left, but, as Brubaker impressed me with Books of Doom, I’ve tried it out, and it’s been pretty good – but yes, slow…
X-Factor – I’ll second Ozz’ “fantastic”; great twists, character-development.
Thunderbolts – since the relaunch, the best Nicieza I’ve read, and Tom Grummett’s done remarkable work. Some trepidation about the new team (though Nicieza and Grummett are doing a Zemo limited series, at least…)
Incredible Hulk – I came back for Peter David’s run, stayed on, and Planet Hulk has turned out to be pretty interesting. Very different, SF setting.
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man – again, for PAD; still has a nice handle on Peter Parker, and his cast
New Avengers – junk food; needed something to read, and yes, there were some good lines for Spidey. Probably dropping soon, though – does not deserve to be the number-one selling comic.
Amazing Spider-Girl – picked up the last few issues of the old series because they featured the Hobgoblin (the classic one, despite the alternate continuity), and am staying with the new run; best Defalco I’ve read in ages.
Exiles – Tony Bedard’s name finally got me to read the series, personally, and I’ll be staying for Claremont
New Excalibur – been a bit up and down, but the current Juggernaut arc’s fun, and Claremont’s returning from his illness…
DC
Green Lantern – when it comes out (and they admit they feel pretty good if they get ten issues out a year), a good read

IDW
Transformers – main series, spotlights, and the movie adaptation
Fallen Angel – another Peter David; the first series started at DC, with hints that the character could be the Linda Danvers Supergirl; the current run is doing well enough that DC has re-issued its TPB of the first story arc and is releasing a brand-new TPB for the second. Dark (and with strong language at IDW), but interesting.

And odds and ends as they catch my eye – usually Marvel.

About Armor Wars – we may be in danger of overselling it at this point - it’s not quite perfect – but I also would say that it’s a very good read.

[edited for a mistake I'd thought I'd fixed in the first place]
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Yahaa ! CAT **** ONE ! Only just released in france, a decade after appearing in japan... backwater ? paris ?

but... euh.. that's it, apart from teh scans from time to time. I'm somewhat jealous to be honest.
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

More Manga than anything else really. Haven't picked up a Comic in like ages. My topic is still ont he first page if you want to know what I picked up.
Hound

Post by Hound »

So here's the list of comics I read:

Independents:
Transformers, pretty much any new TF comics
G.I.Joe, including most of the mini series
Savage Dragon

DC:
Aquaman
Atom
Batman
Birds of Prey
Detective Comics
Flash
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Hawkgirl
JLA
JLA Classified
JSA
JSA Classified
Legion of Super-Heroes
Nightwing
Outsiders
Robin
Teen Titans
Wonder Woman
Planetary
Y: the Last Man
Conner Hawke
Martian Manhunter
Trial of Shazam
Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters
Sandman Mystery Theatre
All-Star Squadron

Marvel:
Amazing Spider-Man
Exiles
Daredevil
Incredible Hulk
Ultimate Spider-Man
Ultimate Fantastic Four
Ultimate Power
Ultimates
Ultimate X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
X-Men
X-Factor
Wolverine
Wolverine Origins
Astonishing X-Men
New Excalibur
Civil War
Civil War Frontline
Squadron Supreme
Eternals
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Ultimates 2- I suspect the Loeb run will be finished long before we see the end of this though. I'm also slightly annoyed they put out an annual set after it ends...

Astonishing X-Men- The last issue was an improvement, but I'm geting narked with having to read the "Previously on..." page to find out exactly what the hell happened in the last issue,

Fantastic 4- But not now JMS has finished his run.

Action Comics- As written by Richard Donner. Well, he probably looked at a synopsis at some point. Still good fun though, and Zod!
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!