Villains who could be killed by a bullet

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
optimusskids
Protoform

Villains who could be killed by a bullet

Post by optimusskids »

Just watched Batman Begins and got to thinking after some of the fancy fighting which fictional villians could be stopped by a bullet and despense with the whole gadgety superpowers stuff

So which Villians could be stopped by the Indiana Jones option

and which would trully need your superpowers to stop.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

With certain characters, it would depend. Captain Cold, for example, would be easily dispatched with a bullet, depending on whether he has his gun handy and whether you managed to surprise him.
Sociopathic Autobot

Post by Sociopathic Autobot »

Lex Luthor, a lot of Batman Villains, a few marvel villains.

It all depends how you catch them.
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Hound

Post by Hound »

Well there are a few villains out there that are immortal so they'd be kind of hard to stop but aside them I can't think of many that wouldn't be stopped if you shot them in the head. You could even put Magneto down with a non magnetic bullet.

Not that it would matter, comic characters don't stay dead...
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

except for bucky and jason todd.....
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by Hawkeye
except for bucky and jason todd.....
Bucky and Jason Todd are both back, where've you been?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I assumed it was irony, but if not that's quite funny... the only thing sacred in DC or Marvel comics is the marketing dollar...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I can't remember the last non-The Ultimates Marvel comic I bought. Say what you like, I liked the Marvel universe, but when they started ****ing with it without getting any decent results, I lost interest in the whole thing. I can buy back issues of Marvel titles I like for the rest of my life, and since the Sliding Albion China scale rape of characters over the past three or four years, I've long since lost that nagging little "I wonder what my favourite character is up to now" thing, because chances are due to a rapid succession of Wizard-hyped EDGY wankers, they aren't my favourite characters any more.

On-topic, I reckon besides the odd immortal/literally invulnerable character, you could shot just about anyone with a bullet and kill them. The question would be what they could do to stop you - even The Kingpin or Lex Luthor have bodyguards so you couldn't just walk up and shoot them.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
I can't remember the last non-The Ultimates Marvel comic I bought.
Buy the Nextwave TPB. Well, okay technically it's just an THB at the moment, but the point remains the same.

(Random D-List Marvel characters + Warren Ellis - logic) x (Big exposions) = Love
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I'm buying the FF comic at the mo due to being a old Babylon 5 fan, but gennerally I have no interest in any of the current Civil War stuff because "Superhero" registration act is so similar in concept to "Mutant" registration act (and in the case of Marvel 95% of those affected are the same in both cases) it just all seems so old hat (and none of the reviews allay my fears on that).

Has any major charecter been stoped just by being shot?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Pete Wisdom? Everyone Scourge shot?
inflatable dalek

Ah, so a bunch of second stringers I've never heard off mainly then?

[Of course if I've not heard of them they're second stringers, anything else would show up my lack of knowledge...]
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Alexander Luthor?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by fort_max
Alexander Luthor?

Stark stopped one with his spine at one point too... And Em copped a diamond bullet. Bullets are largely avoided simply because they're often ongoing characters, and a bullet's final. They crop up in the origins of Batman and Spidey for that expressed purpose... Most superheroes and supervillains aren't immune to bullets per se, but they're rarely blindsided to the extent someone can just walk up and shoot them. I mean, Bush or Blair aren't immune to bullets, they just don't put themselves in the position where someone can just be shot.

There we go. Nice opening for someone to do some lazy satire there.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Code against killing may seem noble, but in the long run it isn't any good. Think about how many people Joker has killed, and how Batman could've prevented all that if he just offed him.

Score one for the movies, by the way.
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Tetsuro
Code against killing may seem noble, but in the long run it isn't any good. Think about how many people Joker has killed, and how Batman could've prevented all that if he just offed him.

How is the utter inabillity of the (DC) American penal system to keep anyone locked up the fault of Batman? If they just put better locks on the Joker's cell the first time he got banged up no more people would have been killed...
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Bullets are largely avoided simply because they're often ongoing characters, and a bullet's final.

True enough. Most major characters are not going to be fatally shot, unless the writer just really wants to shake things up/hates a character. Unfortunately, the industry is so fluid that (barring minor characters like Graydon Creed or Robert Kelly) they'll stay dead until a new writer comes aboard, at which point it will be revealed that the corpse in question was actually a clone/alien shapeshifter/evil twin/whatever crappy plot device they decide to use that day.

I do hope nobody tries to resurrect Alex Luthor, though, simply because his death is downright perfect.
Originally posted by Brendocon
(Random D-List Marvel characters + Warren Ellis - logic) x (Big exposions) = Love
"Oh my God. They explode! My life has new meaning."
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I bought #8 today. Couldn't find #7 to plug the gap since the collected book, but fortunately the wonder of Nextwave means I have no need to read #7 to understand the plot. Since there isn't one beyond the basic premise. Things attack... things explode. In handy two-part stories. It's so beautiful it hurts.
It had been a long, strange night for the Nextwave Squad. One of them finally had his turn at winning. One of them even had something approaching a Character Moment.

You can be damn sure we won't let **** like that happen again.
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

John Proudstar stayed dead, didn' t he? Thus far? (No... Exiles Thunderbird doesn't count).

Supervillians who could feasibly be killed with a bullet... wow, that list is pretty humongous. In some cases you'd need a particular form of bullet (non-magnetic for Magneto [as mentioned], blue Kryptonite bullet for Bizarro, etc), but I'd say probably any supervillain could be killed by a bullet if it was tailor-made to kill them.
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

You wouldn't actually need a non-magnetic bullet for Magneto, surely? His powers aren't automatic, he doesn't permanently emit a magnetic field, right?