XMEN - age of apocolypse.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Adams
Protoform

XMEN - age of apocolypse.

Post by Adams »

Evening!
I have recently been digging through my old comics, I started at pretty much the beginning of my collection, which was when the whole AoA saga kicked in.

I loved this series. I didnt know a great deal about Xmen, but i knew enough and I loved the idea that some things were totally different yet somehow the same.

The highlights for me were Blink and Sabretooth, the alpha and omega books and the title which Had Roigue leading the team.

Any other fans of Aoa?
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Somewhat.

Loved Morph, Blink, and Generation Next (course I was a fan of Generation X, so...), mainly. There were other things that I did like, such as X-Man and X-Calibre.

However, things like Factor X kind of killed it for me.
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

I loved the AoA. Unfortunately, I've yet to get myself a copy of X-Men: Omega, so I have no idea how it ended. :( The concept was great, and they handled it quite well.

I read the AoA books retroactively, so I always wondered if readers at the time knew the AoA was just a limited-time deal. Did Marvel announce when Alpha came out that it was only oing to be a 4-5 month deal, or did they try to lead fans into thinking the AoA books would be ongoing?
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I remember when it happened but I only picked up about 3 or four of the various issues, so I've never read the complete thing. I loved the art and redesigns and thought that some of the things they did with the characters were most unique.

Is there a TPB of the stories out yet?
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

If I'm not mistaken, all the 4-issue titles were compiled into individual books. I'd love to have a TPB with all the stories in it, but it's not likely to happen.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Originally posted by Alpha Trion
If I'm not mistaken, all the 4-issue titles were compiled into individual books. I'd love to have a TPB with all the stories in it, but it's not likely to happen.

I'll pick up all four then, I don't mind.

I've been on a major Batman kick lately, buying up every good TPB I can get my sticky little hands on. I'm finishing up Knightfall right now and the only thing left that's any good is Cataclysym (only because I own all of No Man's Land), Year One and possibly Dark Knight Returns (though I'm not really one for alternate universe stories...except AoA, of course.:p )

I'll need something to keep me reading after that...
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Lots of German fans liked the storyline in particular. Just a few months ago, Panini Germany had planned a collected edition of the whole saga (originally only the two X-Men titles, Wolverine/Weapon X and X-Man were reprinted in Germany), but unfortunately those plans had to be abandoned at the last moment.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
I'll pick up all four then, I don't mind.

What I meant was the 8 series that had 4 issues were collected in individual books, so there's eight of them: Astonishing X-Men, Amazing X-Men, Weapon X, X-Calibre, Factor X, Generation Next, Gambit and the X-Ternals, and X-Man. There were also two 2-issue mini-series called X-Men Chronicles and X-Universe that were never put in any TPB.

I always wanted to read X-Universe; it was about other Marvel superheroes, who were powerless in the AoA timeline.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Originally posted by Alpha Trion
What I meant was the 8 series that had 4 issues were collected in individual books, so there's eight of them: Astonishing X-Men, Amazing X-Men, Weapon X, X-Calibre, Factor X, Generation Next, Gambit and the X-Ternals, and X-Man. There were also two 2-issue mini-series called X-Men Chronicles and X-Universe that were never put in any TPB.

I always wanted to read X-Universe; it was about other Marvel superheroes, who were powerless in the AoA timeline.

Oh...that kinda...sucks.:sweatdrop

Eh, I'll pick em up anyway, as long as they aren't uber expensive.
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

They retail for $8.95 each.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
Oh...that kinda...sucks.:sweatdrop

Eh, I'll pick em up anyway, as long as they aren't uber expensive.

Good luck on finding them because I haven't seen them in quite a long time. I think they are out of print.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

There was someone on suprnova.org that had scans of every issue, including X-Universe and the Blink mini. Not sure if it's still there, though.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Great story!

I thought the little twists to each character were genius.

I loved every single issue.

What was especially great for me was that every book had really great art. I think it was the onlly time when every book had an artist I was happy with...
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

One of my favourite marvel storylines ever. As I remember it, the original plan was for a limited, yet lengthy story, which was cut short due to an extreme negative backlash from fanboys (I remember reading something about death threats to the editors and the like).
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I loved AoA... I mean, just about every book was better than its predecessor, and there were so many good ideas in there. Magneto, Quicksilver, Sunfire, X-Man before they completely ****ed him... great stuff :)
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

Originally posted by angloconvoy
One of my favourite marvel storylines ever. As I remember it, the original plan was for a limited, yet lengthy story, which was cut short due to an extreme negative backlash from fanboys (I remember reading something about death threats to the editors and the like).

Fanboys ruin everything. How that many people failed to see how great AoA was is beyond me.
Adams
Protoform

Post by Adams »

AoA is the series that kick started my love for comics, which was abandoned at the end of transformers G1.

I really must read them all over again.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

In Finland they published a very limited run of the storyline (Wolverine, mixed X-Men and Astonishing X-Men(?) issues, Omega). I was interested enough to search for most of the issues, but I´m still missing some issues (Excalibre, X-Generation, X-Men) so I haven´t read the whole storyline.

I liked especially Magneto´s X-Men stories and X-Man. It was also a very well (with some exceptions) done bigger "what if" storyline, that I´d have wanted to see continued a bit longer.
Astrotrain255
Protoform

Post by Astrotrain255 »

Well,I used to be an avid X-men fan.Alas that was quite some time ago simply because the titles arent shipping anymore to Brazil since late 1999...the last titles i've managed to grab a copy were the Magneto War volumes...Always liked those old 'What if' titles,discontinued long ago,but the AoA was much,much more than that...was specially fond of the alternate Beast and Mr.Sinister-altough his demise at X-man's hands was less than spectacular...

Around that time there was also the Rise of the Apocalypse series which were also nice.Still my all-time favorites are still the Byrne/Claremont issues...Still have a complete set of late 80's Classic X-men reprints...
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Astrotrain255
was specially fond of the alternate Beast

Beast in AoA was cool, but since then every alternate reality/future Beast has been either a sociopath or a moron.