Microsoft: "Buy Windows Vista or People Will Die."

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
secretcode

Microsoft: "Buy Windows Vista or People Will Die."

Post by secretcode »

I must say, they found a method that might actually work.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10118125-56.html
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

secretcode wrote:I must say, they found a method that might actually work.
Not with me.

Nothing will make me buy Vista. I've used it.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Microsoft Vista is one of the best things to happen for Apple in nearly a decade....
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Bigger than the iPod?
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

I still won’t buy Vista; I’ll wait a year to upgrade from XP to Windows 7.

Hell, I’d buy an external hardrive before I get Vista or a Mac.

I find this actually kind of sleazy, on windows part.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

I'd buy an external harddrive regardless. You never know what would happen.

secretlaptop: 2006-2008
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

No love for Linux? Where's Computron?

I very nearly almost went down the Linux route, either by netbook or by download, but my inhernent stinginess with all things computer meant an OS copy off a mate saw me through.

Amiga OS, that's where all the cool people are hanging out. Next big thing I tell you.

In 20 or 30 years.. give or take.

I don't mind Vista, quite like XP too. Living in a Mac world blinds you to how nice XP can be I reckon.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

I'm getting a replacement PC from Dell this week, as a replacement for my old one which died under warranty. New one comes with Vista. We'll see what it's like.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I'm very happy with Vista. It's like XP with a couple little extra features, at least on the interface level. It's a bit bloated as far as little things running in the background that you can't really turn off, but on most computers you're not going to notice anyway. And the indexed search function is fantastically nice.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

With a lot of RAM and the graphical kibble turned off, Vista is quite bearable, at least if you don't want to do basic things like rearrange your start menu much... I could recommend it for older folks.
I'd buy an external harddrive regardless.
Don't use it for anything important, such as your sole backup of anything. The ****ers die too easily.
Computron

Post by Computron »

Auntie Slag wrote:No love for Linux? Where's Computron?
I've actually become a huge Microsoft fanboy since I've started working heavily with computers. No matter what you say about their products they generally all work and more importantly all work together fairly well and without too much hassel.

I've configured an Exchange mail server in less than an hour and connecting quite nicely to users desktops running Outlook connecting to it. Meanwhlie I've spent two weeks trying to get sendmail working with some other mail app and some other mail application on a users desktop.

Mac is similar though not half as bad. We had a customer with about 5 Macs and it took longer to connect them to the Domain than the 20 or so Win XP machines and they are probably responsible for easily 75% of all the support calls we have from that customer.

I configured a clustered ISA Firewall/ Proxy server environment with full redundancy and failover in about 2 days a month ago. Try doing that on a Linux based Firewall and ISA is actually a pretty sweet product if you can get past the Microsoft bashing.

So after a slight rant I can say that I tend to find most hatred of Microsoft products is fairly unjust. They may not be the most powerful or reliable but they are just what an OS should be and that is simple to use which allows you to learn the applications not the OS
I support a ban on powerposting
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

I believe that Satan shall be skating to work tomorrow...

-Ss
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Denyer wrote:Don't use it for anything important, such as your sole backup of anything. The ****ers die too easily.
I just use it for mass transit of data, like what's left of my music, funny pictures, movies, and the stuff for a machinima that I'm doing VAing stuff for.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

secretcode wrote:Bigger than the iPod?
I only said "one of" ;)

As for what folks have been saying about Macs, here's something to chew on.

Steve Jobs had, if memory serves me right, led the effort to make sure that different HD format video would not be available for you or I to burn to DVD. Something about "intellectual property" that was actually about profit margins for the entertainment companies (like Pixar) — ain't it always?

Anyhoo, Mac OS 10.6 is due out soon and the above effort may have contributed as to why BlueRay won't be supported just yet. Of course, any Intel Mac will run either Linux or ... Vista ... right out of its box so that isn't that horrific of a drawback.

The moral is: it sucks when CEOs get greedy.
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Sixswitch wrote:I'm getting a replacement PC from Dell this week, as a replacement for my old one which died under warranty. New one comes with Vista. We'll see what it's like.

-Ss
I just did that (old computer died, got a new Dell with Vista to replacement).

Major pain in the ass. NONE of my peripherals will work on this thing. I downloaded some drivers to get my 1 year old printer to install, but my 2 year old scanner won't install no matter how many drivers I download and how many times I try to reinstall it. Kodak Easyshare doesn't want to work, either.

I had my old harddrive removed and put in a casing to function as an external harddrive. I hooked it up to my new computer to transfer all my old files. Vista will recognize the case but not the HD. So I can't get ANY of the stuff off my old HD. Dunno what I'm gonna do about that, but I freakin' NEED that stuff.

So...yeah. It was a huge cluster**** for me. I hope you have better luck.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

We got a new PC from Dell about 3 months ago as well. I have had zero problems with it or with Vista though in all honesty. I have yet to come across any programs that will not run properly on Vista, and I can't really see what the major complaints are. I didn't much like the way it looked right out of the box, but about 5 minutes of changing around options got it more or less looking like W2K for me.

Granted I'm not terribly techy or anything, but the new PC runs superfast for me, and I can multitask just fine. I would wager that the most intensive thing I do is ripping and encoding video, and this PC can handle it around 4 times faster than my last. So no complaints from me on Vista, or this Dell machine.
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

I managed to get my Dell pc on the last week of them bundling them with XP, which I did in a heartbeat. Having heard enough from friends who had them and have had major issues with peripheral devices and program compatability issues I've decided to give it a wide berth.

Andy