IDW News: General Post Revolution News Thread UPDATED 22/7

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
inflatable dalek

IDW News: General Post Revolution News Thread UPDATED 22/7

Post by inflatable dalek »

From [url="www.newsarama.com/30083-editorial-chang ... moted.html]Newsarama[/url] (who use a somewhat clickbaitey "Barber Out" headline as if he's been sacked when it seems to be entirely amicable). He's still going to be writing his books, but on editorial we've got Denton Tipton back as Senior Editor and the unfamiliar to me Sarah Gaydos directly responsible for the Hasbro stuff.

There's a degree of irony in that it seemed like Roberts was the one seriously considering his future in the run up to season 3, and frankly I'd rather Barber have stayed on as editor (which he still excels at) and stopped writing (as he's felt a bit tired there for a while). Though less responsibility might mean more focused work, it's telling two people are replacing him.

Though hopefully his fancier sounding title means Tipton will be very hands off. His editorial decisions, Wreckers aside, were mostly in a contest with Andy Schmidt to see who could be the most piss poor. Andrew Griffith did a tweet of things to be thankful to Tipton for as an editor and until he got to Wreckers I though he was being completely insincere.

It does, if not completely kick the legs out from, then at least badly cripple the idea that Revolution was an entirely IDW idea driven by Barber rather than something worked from a very careful Hasbro mandate. "Here's this amazing thing I've come up with and I'm really excited about and now I'm off before it even really gets going like some sort of a Leave supporting MP!"

For all my increasing Ex-RID apathy he'll be missed as editor though, he's basically overseen what I think will be looked back on as the real golden age of IDW, some of the best ever TF comics, a generally higher standard even on the weaker stuff and a much needed common sense approach to things.

UPDATE: General news on the renamed titles and creative teams:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... revolution
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

inflatable dalek wrote:From [url="www.newsarama.com/30083-editorial-chang ... moted.html]Newsarama[/url] (who use a somewhat clickbaitey "Barber Out" headline as if he's been sacked when it seems to be entirely amicable).
And that's from what tends to be (imo) the least sensationalist of the online comics news sites.
He's still going to be writing his books, but on editorial we've got Denton Tipton back as Senior Editor and the unfamiliar to me Sarah Gaydos directly responsible for the Hasbro stuff.
Gaydos seems to have been knocking about on IDW's Star Trek stuff for a while, plus looks to have edited some of the DC filler books (Smallville season 11, etc). Quite a few crossover issues on the IDW side, so presumably that means she's got experience of juggling different franchises.
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/sarah-gay ... ues-cover/

If my understanding of structure is right, sounds like Tipton will be ultimately responsible for the books, but Gaydos will be in charge of most of the writer management and co-ordination.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

inflatable dalek wrote:It does, if not completely kick the legs out from, then at least badly cripple the idea that Revolution was an entirely IDW idea driven by Barber rather than something worked from a very careful Hasbro mandate. "Here's this amazing thing I've come up with and I'm really excited about and now I'm off before it even really gets going like some sort of a Leave supporting MP!"
Which I think we'd pretty much sussed out on here. Not surprised Barber's pulled out of wanting to be in charge of and idea that hasn't been terribly well received. Not helped by Ryall's amazing PR skills.

So it makes sense that Tipton's the man to deliver it.

I'd agree with Mr Dalek, Barber has been a a generally steady and capable pair of hands, making sense of IDWs messed up continuity and writing a book that, whilst not my cup of tea, has been pretty solid throughout and at the very least held its own against other mainstream comic books.
Grayfox
Protoform

Post by Grayfox »

More after Revolution news from SDCC:

http://www.allspark.com/2016/07/idw-ann ... evolution/
The Revolution ripple effect continues to shake things up as IDW’s Transformers line will see some changes with the introduction of two new ongoing titles: Transformers: Lost Light and the first-ever ongoing Optimus Prime series.

Transformers: Lost Light will continue the fan-favorite adventures told by More Than Meets the Eye writer James Roberts, joined on art by Jack Lawrence ( Doctor Who Adventures). Beginning in December, this new series will take Rodimus and the crew of the starship Lost Light into the farthest reaches of the universe, searching for the long-lost Knights of Cybertron.

Next, John Barber, who recently exited his post as IDW’s Hasbro Group Editor, won’t be straying too far from his IDW roots as he tackles Optimus Prime, the first solo series to star the eponymous Autobot. John will be joined by artist Kei Zama (Scarlett Witch). Optimus Prime has declared Earth to be under his protection—and this November, he’ll have to face the consequences.

All those titles will join the currently running Transformers: Till All Are One, Micronauts, and upcoming ROM, which will each continue on, their storylines now converging with this newly established universe as their backdrop.
inflatable dalek

Typing this on the way out the door to see Star Trek after no sleep, but here's details on the renamed books and new creative teams, including some promoted fan artists on interiors:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... revolution

The big thing was Alex Milne did not know he was not going to be the artist on Lost Light until he was told about what was talked about on the panel on twitter. So once again James Roberts had to do some bad PR damage limitation by explaining the book was actually going to have two rotating artists, changing with each arc, with Milne being the second. Which left Milne mightlily ****ed still as this was still the first he'd heard of it and he wanted to be the guy drawing issue 1 (conversely Adrew Griffith knew he wasn't on Optimus Prime and was making badly timed "Have I been sacked?" jokes). His twitter feed basically went through all the stages of denial and added some new ones during the early hours. I'm not entirely sure he'll take the part time offer now.

With the increasing need for fill in artists on both books having a rotating team makes sense, but this isn't just a PR fail (if you're promoting a book you know is going to have two regular artists, why not mention both? Presumably OP will have two as well), it's just bad employer behaviour. You shouldn't have to learn you're going part time from the person taking up half your working hours turning up.
inflatable dalek

Greyfox types faster than me even when I'm typing quickly.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

IDW making a PR gaffe? Who'd have guessed.

It's also absolutely adorable that the credits plug they've got for Kei Zama is Scarlet Witch when her one issue on the book doesn't come out until September.

Surely she's drawn other stuff we'll have heard of that's actually been published?
Grayfox
Protoform

Post by Grayfox »

Copy/pasting one link and a quote from it is usually faster than writing whole post by yourself, so not a big achievement on my part. ;) Also, didn't know about Milne. Sucks, the way they handled it (that is, not at all).
inflatable dalek

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:IDW making a PR gaffe? Who'd have guessed.

It's also absolutely adorable that the credits plug they've got for Kei Zama is Scarlet Witch when her one issue on the book doesn't come out until September.

Surely she's drawn other stuff we'll have heard of that's actually been published?
I think her only official work has been IDW covers, the SW thing is her first ever interiors.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Well good for her.

Still, you'd think they'd play up the "you know this artist from covers to some of our other books you bought" aspect ahead of something that's not been released by somebody else yet.

What's Nick Roche (New Warriors) doing next or haven't they announced that yet?
inflatable dalek

I guess they went for the Marvel connection as it's a more general con and they're trying to grab psssing interest? Only seen bullet points so I'm not sure if IDW being her first work was mentioned on the floor.

Master Roche is co-writing the interim issue of More Than Meets the Eye with Roberts that is part of Revolution, out in November, drawn by Milne.

(The last few post brought to you by British Rail wifi. Welcome to the future! )
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I'm on a bus so cant really check but has jack Lawrence done any other transformer work?
inflatable dalek

I don't believe so, Doctor Who Adventures was the previous work mentioned. Roberts said on Twitter he waa an old mate he'd done stuff with years ago, so presumably another TMUKer?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Old art so hopefully JL has gotten sharper since --

http://jackademus.deviantart.com/gallery/

I'd have been more excited about seeing Golby sequentials if it wasn't a Barber "Earth" book... certainly a great cover/poster artist, and the reason I'd consider picking it up. The writer's had occasional stories of interest but the setting's not provided much of anything I've particularly wanted to read since Infiltration/Escalation. The setting on Cybertron likewise for the most part.

Working on the assumption of being on board for LL MTMTE if it gets rolled forward by Forbidden Planet. Odds are I'm going to miss out anything else by not picking through solicits, and it'd make more sense to switch to trades that'll presumably collect relevant stuff, if at all... certainly not feeling that singles buyers are anything more than a test audience for a bunch of new shit thrown against a wall to see what sticks. Didn't notice Visionaries there, versus previous news, which might suggest it's already facing the same fate as the original. Don't think that M.A.S.K. has any great legs apart from as a sub-line of Joes, either. They haven't been modern comics to date because nobody's opted to license them and Hasbro hasn't previously steered anyone to take them as a condition of other licences, none of which suggests meaningful untapped audiences.

Overall the reveals and direction of the TF books sound, particularly with apparent lacks of communication with creators, to be at best "maybe they won't **** with MTMTE too much" and more consistently marketing that's toxic and makes me not want to have anything else to do with IDW as a reader.

Clarifications would have to be a lot more positive in August to have any enthusiasm. Feeling it's going to be forced smiles or slumped shoulders.
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

Yeah, Jack's an old TMUKer, though he went pro many years ago. "Lions, Tigers and Bears" was a prominent work of his. He draws amazing Transformers and I've been waiting for IDW to bring him onboard for years. Very exciting news.
SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

That stuffs not too bad. Hopefully he can keep a consistent standard on the main book. Milne has been excellent really and a major part in shaping the visual tone of the comic