Ryall's IDW Q&A Thread Summarised

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Aardvark

Ryall's IDW Q&A Thread Summarised

Post by Aardvark »

By Aardvark -- Aardvark's got time on his hands.

Christopher Ryall started a new Q&A thread over at the IDW forums. It's still running so if you've got a question and would like to ask, here’s the place to do it:

http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=2095p

He's reluctant to answer any story-specific questions -- however he has answered some, or at least given hints. Accordingly, these appear at the end of my summary, so be warned if you don't like spoilers. Right, here's my list of all the important points so far (Some artwork in my next post -- w00t):

General Info

More spotlights after Prime -- only one planned so far, with others pending. Coming in November -- not written by Furman/Ryall/Roche.

No current plans for Evolutions. Ryall hopes to get back to it in 2008.

"Art Of IDW" contains pretty much every cover released before Devastation (Not including Avengers crossover).

Devastation #1 will be out in September.

Armada/Energon TPBs -- doubtful.

No Ashley Wood/Ben Templesmith covers -- Hasbro's decision

No plans to make Beast Wars an ongoing.

"Best of￾ books" release dates: Simon - July 25. Don - August 1

Beast Wars issues: 48 ad-free pages -- 4-issues total

Best of the U.K.: "Just that we want to run some of those harder-to-find comics, so we're doing Dinobot Hunt next. I'm open to what people would want to see after that."

Peeps

Raiz is busy with other stuff at the mo -- so don't expect any Raiz stuff any time soon.

No new artists making their Transformers debut for the moment.

Klaus will definitely be doing something at some point [/vague]

New Musso project to be announced soon.

Zac Atkinson (Colourist) will remain on the main title

Josh Burcham (Colourist) -- Beast Wars

No more Ashley Wood/Ben Templesmith covers – Hasbro’s decision

Derek Yaniger, Jeff Anderson, Manny Galan and Herb Trimpe have all been contacted -- those who replied weren't interested.

Story-Specific Stuff

SPOILER! (select to read)
As in previous incarnations, Starscream has a background in science/exploration

Rumble and Frenzy will be in the main books soon.

Buzzsaw will be making an appearance soon

There will be deaths in Devastation

Plans for Cyclonus or Scourge: "Quite possibly, at least one of the two."

Q. "Sparks - any plans to delve into their origins? Or how new Transformers are created for that matter?"

A."No plans right now, no. At least, not the first part of the question."

Revelation will take place partially on earth

Magnus will eventually come to Earth

Brawn -- there are plans, but nothing immediate.

Q. "Any Combiners (that will actually combine) coming in the next few months?"

Q." Will we ever actually see Bluestreak's team as mentioned in Stormbringer? "

A."You know these are all story-related Qs that I don't like to answer, just because I don't want to spoil things for people. But yes to at least one of your questions."

Regarding the non-IDW Transformers designs in the previews of the Avengers crossover:"Eh, I chalk it up to artist interpretation."

Regarding Laserbeak's size in Spotlight: Soundwave -- artist interpretation.

Dogfight's appearance in Stormbringer is the only Triggerbot appearance planned for a while, but it's always possible.

Either Sideswipe or Hot Rod will play a very big role in Devastation.

There will definitely be more IDW-originated Transformers.

We haven't seen the last of Bludgeon.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Nick's Beast Wars profile image for Apache

And his Beast Wars 2 cover:

Don's Beast Wars 2 cover:
Cliffjumper

Re: Ryall's IDW Q&A Thread Summarised

Post by Cliffjumper »

Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

So...what names do you think they'll give for Lio Convoy and...uh...what's the paciderm Convoy's name again?

I'm excited for this series, the Beast Wars one that is.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Dreadwing
Protoform

Post by Dreadwing »

IDW seems to be cutting down on the amount of new comics produced. They seem to be focussing a lot more on reprinting stuff from the 80's. This buggs me because I have everything they have or plan to reprint so far. Why dont they reprint 67 - 80 of the marvel run. Those are the books no one can find!

I realy wish Dreamwave hadnt destroyed any chance of there ever being an ongoing series again. Infiltration/escalation seem to be selling steadily enough. I dont see why that continuity cant be an ongoing. Im sick of a new #1 every other month.

Beast Wars also deserves something more than what its got. Personally, I would like to see someone else writing it. Its got a lot of potential, but furman doesnt seem to care.

I realy hope 2008 doesnt show a repeat of 2004. I dont want to see another relaunch.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Originally posted by Brimstone
So...what names do you think they'll give for Lio Convoy and...uh...what's the paciderm Convoy's name again?

I'm excited for this series, the Beast Wars one that is.
IIRC the Japanese names will be kept. You propably mean Big Convoy.

Personally I'm all the time less excited about Beast Wars. If all those Japanese characters (cover for #2) are going to show in the mini-series it'll be same kind of "let's cram all the characters we can think of in this series, characterisation isn't really needed". :(
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Dreadwing
Why dont they reprint 67 - 80 of the marvel run. Those are the books no one can find!

They might not be able to, actually... I'm sure I read somewhere that Marvel own Circuit Breaker, something about them managing to get that Secret Wars II cameo in before TF #9 came out - http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/circuitb.htm (right down the bottom, in italics). While the metallic monotone isn't in all those issues, it'd take out a few very key ones :(

People are having trouble finding the Titan TPBs? Awesome, I can sell those sloppy pieces of crap then :)
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

IDW have already done one issue with Circuit Breaker, or rather Miss Beller, when Generations did Warrior School. Marvel probably don't care very much.

I've got to agree with Cliffy though, when did the Titan books suddenly become super rare?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
IDW have already done one issue with Circuit Breaker, or rather Miss Beller, when Generations did Warrior School. Marvel probably don't care very much.

Beller is, AFAIK, not covered by the copyright, but Circuit Breaker is, as mentioned on Loki's site. so IDW could reprint anything else where she appears as plain ol' Josie Beller (who, I believe, like Blackrock, Buster, the Mechanic and those Roadjammer wankers, do belong to Hasbro, having debuted in one of their licensed titles), but not where she dons the Circuit Breaker togs, or uses the alias. When you think about it, this was probably why Generations skips thos few issues (although removing #9 doesn't make 10-12 particularly nonsensical). Kinda makes you appreciate Titan a bit more, doesn't it?

With Furman onboard and all those lovely royalties in the offing, I'd throw my hat into the ring and say the Unicron TPBs would be back in print by now if it was a possible (sure, they're as common as muck*, but then so's Cybertron Redux - providing unusual reprints, as opposed to making a quick buck with minimum thought, is clearly not what Generations is there for...).

* Actually checked... Out of stock at Amazon.com, but avaliable used for $5; still in stock at Amazon UK, and barely fetching £1 on ebay...
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Beller is, AFAIK, not covered by the copyright, but Circuit Breaker is, as mentioned on Loki's site.

"But... it's the same character" was my first thought there, but I can kind of see the logic in what you're saying. Even if it does seem a bit odd to this layman that Marvel only own the character when she's refered to by a certain name. So IDW could reprint the panel from US#74 showing Jossie getting zapped in flashback but not any of the rest of the issue? Makes my brain hurt.
With Furman onboard and all those lovely royalties in the offing, I'd throw my hat into the ring and say the Unicron TPBs would be back in print by now if it was a possible

And making the first half of my post pointless: US #75 is in The Best of Simon Furman, so unless they've cunningly renamed the character Zapp they've either sorted something out with Marvel or Circuit Breaker isn't owned by them/they don't care.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yep... legally, she's Marvel's (or, to be precise, her superheor persona is), but I did mean to put in that they could always just ask Marvel and have them say "Okay". Not sure how much of a headache it is for IDW, though, or how much they'd have to pay (CB being a nobody in Marvel terms is probably neither here nor there... Marvel won't just hand the character over just on the million-to-one chance IDW give her a solo series which outsells one of their titles... a single appearance in a TPB is probably less of a bother).

I'd be interested to see if they do make any alterations to the reprint, though...
dotCommunism
Protoform

Post by dotCommunism »

I'd be interested to see if they do make any alterations to the reprint, though... [/B]
Maybe in a moment of lucidity they'll edit her out altogether
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by dotCommunism

That would be incredibly cool. I'd actually buy "The Best Reprints of Other Simon Furman Reprints Avaliable Elsewhere In More Coherent Collections Except One Two Parter We've Randomly chucked In As Despite Furman Saying It Was Below Quality Earlier On We Reckon A Few Completists Will Have To Buy the Thing Hahahahaha" if they did that.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Id buy that just for the catchy title alone
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by martyboy70
Id buy that just for the catchy title alone

The book is 8ft wide

Flood posting again! WAT THE HEL:L
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by dotCommunism

But then On the Edge of Extinction would make no sense. Sheer madness ;)

Glancing through the copyright pages of my Titan books, Spider-Man is the only character to get a "Is the property of Marvel Comics Copyright 2003" style credit, Circuit Breaker, Death's Head and even old Nick Fury don't get the honour. Furman's also said US#3 was the only one that Titan had any trouble reprinting, so I'm guessing there's some kind of deal in place with the lesser characters.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Aye, it's whether the same is true for IDW or not (Titan have a long-established relationship with Marvel, and indeed most US publishers)... :)
inflatable dalek

Aye, it's whether the same is true for IDW or not

Well, they've said they can't do issues with Death's Head in so the relationship must be at least slightly different (or DH3 coming along between the Titan Trades and IDW had Marvel reafirm their ownership of him. Or- like so much of IDW's PR stuff it's total bollocks).

Then again, with Marvel and IDW working together on The New Avengers Pull Their Pants Down and Cack on The Transformers they might come to an deal on that stuff as well.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, all this stuff could change at any moment... I seriously doubt Marvel see IDW as anything approaching a threat - it's probably more a case of it being more fuss for IDW to sort out all the paperwork to reprint something like, I dunno, the US mini, than it's worth for a minimum-input maximum-profit cash-cow like Generations... whereas if Grand Vizier Furman wants this issue for part of his TPB, they might as well, as he writes 90% of their output and they really wouldn't have a clue (errr... Chuck Dixon writing Destruction, anyone?) if he went walkies...
inflatable dalek

If all else fails IDW could always get the Photoshop to work and replace Peter Parker and Spider-Man with Peter Bowles and Arach-Boy.

I'd agree it'd be more worth IDW's time to go for the effort on US#75- widely regarded as one of the best TF comics ever written- that the more expensive deal needed for US#3- which isn't.