BotCon 2015 and Transformers Club figures

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Denyer

BotCon 2015 and Transformers Club figures

Post by Denyer »

Final BotCon reveal: Double Pretender Oilmaster

Not the biggest fan of the club, and I suppose a bit-more-than-averagely fond of Pretenders, but they've pulled off something rather special;

http://tformers.com/botcon-2015-final-b ... /news.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SEgNCLSFaM

May end up trying to get that one.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Oilmaster is a fun addition. I appreciate the effort. The shell could use a bit more color though (like magenta on the chest plating), but then this is just a test shot.

Theme of the set is not immediately obvious. Rather hodgepodge. But then, that's often the case with these sets, that the "theme" is not fully realized.

Like Battletrap, though. It was an obvious choice (same goes for Packrat), and I think he's just swell.
Clay

Post by Clay »

That's actually pretty neat.

Battletrap is nice too, but it has a great mold going for it. They could've made it purple and called it Full-Tilt and it'd still work.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Yes, I approve of this also. Bonkers, a non-obvious homage and cool looking.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Neat. I wonder if they engineered that shell from scratch just for a convention exclusive, or if they somehow found the molds from the prototype way back in the day and used that. I guess a hollow shell with two points of articulation wouldn't cost too much to design, though. Either way, it's nice and way out of left field.

Really think that Battletrap and Packrat could use a bit more paint, though. I get that they're trying to stick close to the originals, but the originals were pretty tiny compared to the molds that they're using.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Warcry wrote:Neat. I wonder if they engineered that shell from scratch just for a convention exclusive, or if they somehow found the molds from the prototype way back in the day and used that. I guess a hollow shell with two points of articulation wouldn't cost too much to design, though. Either way, it's nice and way out of left field.

Really think that Battletrap and Packrat could use a bit more paint, though. I get that they're trying to stick close to the originals, but the originals were pretty tiny compared to the molds that they're using.
Info seems to be that it was a new sculpt made by the people FunPub has been using to sculpt the new heads they've been using for exclusives.

Battletrap seems nice, but it's hard to go wrong with that mold. So what's left for obvious repaint/retools of that Springer mold: Movie Drift?
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Unicron wrote:So what's left for obvious repaint/retools of that Springer mold: Movie Drift?
Fastlane and Cloudraker. They'd sell twice as many of the deco; they just need to put different rubsigns on them.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

BotCon figures (focusing on the souvenirs at the moment);

http://www.seibertron.com/events/event.php?event_id=408

http://i.imgur.com/YVbAGvP.jpg
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 743&type=1

Apparently the club's getting in on combiners too... Mayhem Attack Squad with Bludgeon (Onslaught), Spinister / Needlenose / Ruckus / Windsweeper.

http://i.imgur.com/WUd58Rn.jpg
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Various TF related Joes mould uses... this year (Marissa Fairbourne with Afterburner, Snake with a B.A.T.) then next (Arcee/Rodimus);

https://www.facebook.com/daim.choc/post ... 1873765319

https://www.facebook.com/daim.choc/post ... 6127099227

inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I'd be all over that Mayhemacon like a dirty rash.

Hey, they could even pose off against that Wreckers FOC combiner from a few years ago....

No, I can't even say that with a straight face.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

...why does Windsweeper look like he wants to kiss me in that art?

And Needlenose reminds me more of Thunderwing then anything else.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Thunderwave wrote:...why does Windsweeper look like he wants to kiss me in that art?
Because he does, you sexy beast.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I'm going to have to think long and hard about getting that Spinister. Combining aside the figure is close to perfect for him, with very close to the right transformation. Truth be told, I was actually planning on making one from that mold. But if there's an official option, even a Club release, that would probably be cheaper. Or at least, it will be if they do it properly and he comes with Scoop's little Targetmaster buddies decoed as Singe and Hairsplitter.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Sweet.

Shame about the mold options. How neat would have it been to see Stranglehold and Octopunch getting in on that combiner action?

Cool with what there is, though Ruckus doesn't seem quite so... Ruckus-y. Too much tan, I suppose.
Warcry wrote: Or at least, it will be if they do it properly and he comes with Scoop's little Targetmaster buddies decoed as Singe and Hairsplitter.
He'll totally come with Singe and Hairsplitter.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Looks alright, yeah --

https://www.facebook.com/daim.choc/post ... nref=story

That Windsweeper's way off though.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Some neat stuff, but nothing that I'm super excited about. I like that the west is finally getting the Prime Voyager Breakdown mould...but as an expensive limited release. Hooray!

I think I'd be more excited about these if they all weren't going to be hideously expensive to pick up - worse than the E-Hobby stuff in the majority of cases!

The black Skids is probably my favourite out of the bunch. It's a shame the Mayhems are only getting a release as a BotCon exclusive. I'd love a mainstream release for a Spinister figure. That's the second time he's got a BotCon figure. Its such a tease! The more I think about it, the more I find it annoying that the Decepticon contingent of Transformers is frequently represented only by limited releases like these. Boo.

I like my Generations figures, but needs more Decepticons!!!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

zigzagger wrote:Shame about the mold options. How neat would have it been to see Stranglehold and Octopunch getting in on that combiner action?
It would have been cool. And would have fit the theme better -- Windsweeper and Ruckus aren't really Mayhem Attack Squad characters to begin with, even if they used to hang out with Spinister and Needlenose.

I guess they could have waited until Hasbro got around to CW Predacons and Seacons, then redecoed Headstrong and Tentakil?
zigzagger wrote:Cool with what there is, though Ruckus doesn't seem quite so... Ruckus-y. Too much tan, I suppose.
Ruckus looks awful but that might just be the photoshopping/photography. His colours look more like Sinnertwin.
zigzagger wrote:He'll totally come with Singe and Hairsplitter.
Nice! If I can afford one when it comes out, I might just go for it.
Denyer wrote:That Windsweeper's way off though.
Yeah. I know that their choices are pretty restricted, but if they'd used Air Raid he'd at least have a closer airplane silhouette.

Honestly, I appreciate what the club is trying to do here but none of them really work for me other than Spinister.
Skyquake87 wrote:The black Skids is probably my favourite out of the bunch. It's a shame the Mayhems are only getting a release as a BotCon exclusive. I'd love a mainstream release for a Spinister figure. That's the second time he's got a BotCon figure. Its such a tease! The more I think about it, the more I find it annoying that the Decepticon contingent of Transformers is frequently represented only by limited releases like these. Boo.
I'm not so sure about that. It's not as if we have a shortage of Decepticon figures at retail. And while they do tend to play it a bit safer with the 'Con side of things (or at least it seems so, with so many different Megatrons and seekers over the last few years) they're not afraid of dipping into the obscure side of things either. We haven't gotten a Straxus or Thunderwing equivalent in the last couple years, no, but that's probably because they've made new molds for villains from other series like Waspinator, Tankor and Sky-Byte instead.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get a new Spinister or Fangry or Bugly at retail. But Waspy and co. are good too, so I can't really complain.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I think you're right, I think its my perspective on what I'd like to see. The FoC line was heavy on 'cons...it was just that the toys were mostly terrible.

I'm happy enough with the original Beast-era toys to not be interested in new versions of them. They don't feel to me to be in any need of upgrading to modern engineering when they had a lot of that in the first place.

Its probably, as you mention, that the 'cons have largely been represented with endless Seekers and figures that turn into tanks, if its not a jet, and the lack of variety just wasn't doing it for me.