Are E-mail Notifications For Subscribed Threads Still a Feature?

Problem? Question? Suggestion? Post it here.
LKW
Protoform

Are E-mail Notifications For Subscribed Threads Still a Feature?

Post by LKW »

Because I just don't receive any - e-mails telling me that someone has made a new post to a thread I've subscribed to - anymore.

At first I thought maybe it was just an odd miss here and there, as had happened in the past. And then, as I got more active here again and it became clear that I was getting no notice of new posts in any threads, I tried changing my CP - daily rather than instant notice; still nothing.

So, now I've gotten around to bothering someone about the question. Are we no longer doing the notifications, or is there something glitchy in my account? (I don't think I've gotten any notifications since the board switchover in Sept.)
Sades

Post by Sades »

Just subscribed to this thread... test test test...

No notification received. Might be a site problem, I'm sure someone with the keys will be along soonish to check things out.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I get mine but they go to the spam folder. Make of that what you will.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

inflatable dalek wrote:I get mine but they go to the spam folder.
Including in the last few months? Could you check if you haven't?
Sades wrote: Just subscribed to this thread... test test test...

No notification received.
Still not received? There's usually a fair lag.

Will try a test account with a password reset message.

If they're treated inconsistently, it may be an ISP or webmail host flagging the messages as spam (possibly before they reach an inbox or spam folder) -- it can happen for a few reasons, not least of which is that some people flag messages as spam indiscriminately, which is then used as data for spam filters that get applied to other customers of a service. Effectively it can become an unintentional DoS.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

It's been going to the spam folder for years. Every so often it goes through a phase of coming in the main inbox bit it never lasts very long. Though there was an single one that slipped though last week oddly enough. It's never caused me any problems though as checking the spam is easy enough.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Notifications are fine with my host and with Yahoo webmail.

AOL are notorious (eg, this and this) for deleting legitimate mail before it even gets to users. You could try contacting the scumsuckers and explaining you're losing expected mail. Do you notice this with other forums and mailing lists?
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

I don't think I'm missing mail from other sites - though most mailing lists I'm on are from venders. Denverbroncos.com news and weekly newsletter mails come through fine.... I don't think I belong to another site with this kind of post-notification feature, though (or if they do have, I've never noticed/signed up). I'm trying turning down the spam filter level to "low" from "medium" - though it looks like that may just affect what makes it to inbox from spam, and they may be stopping it from even reaching the spam folder?

If I do have to e-mail AOL, is the web address I need to tell them to restore still "tfarchive@gmail.com"?

Thanks Denyer, Sades, Dalek, for your time and help!
Sades

Post by Sades »

Yep, Though the point is moot I just thought I'd mention that I'm gettng mine now.

Dalek, spam folder is always the first thing I check. :p
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!