BotCon 2009 thread (updated as info becomes available)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Nevermore

BotCon 2009 thread (updated as info becomes available)

Post by Nevermore »

As posted on various other boards:

According to an e-mail from the Colelctors' Club, BotCon 2009 will be held in Pasadena, California from May 28th-31st.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Finally! Only a 3 hour drive from my house to there...who all is going? :)
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

I will if me and my roommate manage to get the house sold and to Oregon before then. otherwise probably won't make it. Not unless I win a lottery...
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
Jetfire426
Protoform

Post by Jetfire426 »

any rumors on who is going to be there???
One shall stand, One shall fall...
Sades

Post by Sades »

Blargh.

If it moves a little closer to Canada next year, I'll consider it.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I'm currently in the process of convincing my girlfriend that Pasedena would be a good vacation spot for late May. Wish me luck.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Blitzwing wrote:I'm currently in the process of convincing my girlfriend that Pasedena would be a good vacation spot for late May. Wish me luck.
It actually is, you can go and see the original Myers' house from Halloween, and walk the streets where Jamie Lee Curtis was stalked by Michael Myers. At least that was a cool vacation for me last year....
borg72

Post by borg72 »

as i'm limited to the NE of america, and can't go this year anyway (as I'm back in the UK at the minute), i'm kinda glad its out thataway... hopefully it can come back in my direction when i'm free to go in 2010.

question: what are the odds of it ever being in Canada?
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

borg72 wrote:question: what are the odds of it ever being in Canada?
About as good as Stan Bush having a #1 hit single?
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Blitzwing wrote:I'm currently in the process of convincing my girlfriend that Pasedena would be a good vacation spot for late May. Wish me luck.
ditto. Good luck.
Ackula wrote:About as good as Stan Bush having a #1 hit single?
Any minute now, mate. Any minute now . . .
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

borg72 wrote: question: what are the odds of it ever being in Canada?
We have our own Transformers convention... not as big as Botcon though:

http://www.tfcon.ca/
Ackula

update, hotel announced

Post by Ackula »

Also announced a couple of days ago on www.botcon.com the hotel for the convention has been announced as the Sheraton Pasadena Hotel, 303 East Cordova Street. Pasadena, California 91101. To make a reservation, call: (626) 449-4000 or click here!

The site also states that
There will be pre-convention tours (not announced yet) on Wednesday and Thursday. Attendee package pick-up will be Thursday night at approximately 6 PM. Show ends on Sunday afternoon at 3:30 PM.
;)
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

I thought they would never have it in California for at least a few more years.Count me in.:clap:
"Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Movies I've seen recently:
Red
Johnny Got His Gun
A Clockwork Orange
Fight Club
Toy Story 3
Zombieland
Tenacious D The Pick of destiny
Watchmen
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

BotCon Brochure: http://www.botcon.com/BotCon09/pasadena.pdf

And the box set is... Generation One Elite Guard titled "The Wings of Honor"! Featuring a young Autobot named Kup (Wait, What?), Thunderclash, Landshark and Flak, as well as the Evil Decepticon Scourge! No mold info has been given.

There are also three tours during Botcon.
- Weds, May 27- Universal Studios and Theme Park tour
- Thurs, May 28- "A Day in Hollywood" organized by the Botcon team.
- Fri, May 29- Visit to the Paramount Studios lot (There is a dress code)

Also, RotF toys will be available in bulk at BotCon.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
borg72

Post by borg72 »

secretcode wrote:BotCon Brochure: http://www.botcon.com/BotCon09/pasadena.pdf

And the box set is... Generation One Elite Guard titled "The Wings of Honor"! Featuring a young Autobot named Kup (Wait, What?), Thunderclash, Landshark and Flak, as well as the Evil Decepticon Scourge! No mold info has been given.

There are also three tours during Botcon.
- Weds, May 27- Universal Studios and Theme Park tour
- Thurs, May 28- "A Day in Hollywood" organized by the Botcon team.
- Fri, May 29- Visit to the Paramount Studios lot (There is a dress code)

Also, RotF toys will be available in bulk at BotCon.
wonder what mold kup will be?

i love how a dress code is specified. only in america.

rotf toys not a surprise... wave 0 is may 9th is anyway, and botcon area usually gets advance releases of whatever they next big thing is, like with animated last year.

i'm sure they'll be a reasonable two or three times r.r.p.... unless any of the dealers gets the packages signed by any guests, then start adding '0's to the end of the price (until sunday afternoon, that is, when they are desperate to unload stock so they can leave)

sorry, i'm not deliberately trying to sound negative. the movie lot tours sounds kinda cool. i'm jealous, honest!
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I plan on going to hang out and see whats on display, but I'm not interested in any of the tours, I've seen and done all that stuff before and I doubt the Botcon crew can make it somehow seem new and exciting. Especially a day in Hollywood...at this point in my life its just like a day in any large town with lots of shops on the strip.

The box set doesn't sound that interesting to me either, which I'm really glad of that since I can't afford them this year anyway. It will be interesting to see what molds the use though, I was hoping we'd get some Animated molds used, but it doesn't sound like it.

EDIT: I'm even more shocked at the insane costs of everything involved with this convention after reading the brochure. All I have to say is this, anyone wanting a real tour of Hollywood can pay me the $65 and I'll take you the really interesting spots, because their tour plan sounds really lame to be perfectly honest.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I think this year's set might be cheaper than the previous two years' sets . . .

Not entirely interested in what they're offering since the only names I recognize are Kup and Scourge (though I wonder if this is a different decepticon, assuming that this is a prequel to G1, and Unicron would not have created him yet). Still will be interesting to see.

Might pick a a piece or two up via theifbay if I like anything. I don't plan on getting the whole set this time.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Andrew Wildman has (accidentally) revealed a BotCon exclusive...
http://andrewwildman.blogspot.com/2009/ ... rmers.html

Skyquake will be a repaint of Energon Starscream, a mold that surely needs more love.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

So, I want to be able to check out all the panels and seminars, but am not interested in the exclusive toys. Would the best bet be to then just pay the general admission fee? What are any of you who are planning to go going to do?
borg72

Post by borg72 »

plenty of fun to be had with general admission. hint: get there early, the line really builds up. Most of the sets/exclusives will be on sale inside anyway, and you can get into almost all of the panels.

I hate tours and group activities anyway, i'd much rather just turn up and do my own thing, go to some of the panels etc, and save money on all that (and lets face it there's plenty of other stuff to spend money on inside). Plus I'm not a people person.

Last years was awesome, I never thought I'd get to go to any botcon, so being able to last year was huge for me. I greatly enjoyed bargain-hunting on the sunday, a couple of hours before closing time. got some great deals.

plus if you're travelling down, instead of doing the official tours, take the opportunity to do your own sightseeing. it's California, after all.

go, have fun. i'll be back the year after....